PDA

View Full Version : Is this fold too tight considering I should be playing to win?

Reraiseallin
01-09-2005, 05:10 PM
6000 FPP sat on Stars for a seat in the EPT final in Monte Carlo. 1500 chips starting stack, 30 min clock.

Just wanted to know if this fold is too tight given I AM PLAYING TO WIN:

After raising pre-flop with position, it's checked to me and I go ahead and bet 2/3 pot on the flop = 200. There has been a caller of my 200 bet on the flop (LAG - not too worried here), and then I am CHECK-RAISED (N.B. We are only 15 hands into the tourney so I have no real read on the check-raiser at all - he's just been moved here).

I think given the size of the pot here on the flop, it's all in or fold?

What could I be up against? (I have blockers to high straight draw for example). He didn't re-raise preflop, which may the lessen the chances of him having QQ, KK, AA. Also, his check-raise doesn't look like a 'shut-out' bet (it kinda looks likes he wants a call). Lastly, he may believe my button bet of 200 is a missed AK-AQ-AJ, but he has to consider that a LAG had check-called too, so we are still 3-way here.

What do you guys/gals think?

I folded because I feared top-two pair or any set. Again I ask, is my fold too tight? I want to play aggressively, acculmulate chips and put myself in a position to win, but I realise that survival is important to a great extent too, and I don't want to make a BAD CALL and go out unnecessarily. IF I FOLD I STILL HAVE 1270 IN CHIPS WITH BLINDS AT 10/20.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero (t1550)
SB (t1480)
BB (t2490)
UTG (t1410)
UTG+1 (t1440)
MP1 (t1630)
MP2 (t1440)
MP3 (t780)
CO (t1410)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls t20, MP2 folds, MP3 calls t20, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t80</font>, SB folds, BB calls t60, MP1 calls t60, MP3 calls t60.

Flop: (t330) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t200</font>, BB calls t200, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t600</font>, MP3 folds, Hero folds, BB folds.

Final Pot: t1330

jojobinks
01-09-2005, 05:16 PM
i'd probably push (and get burnt) b/c as you said, you're playing to win. i'd put him on something like ak or aq, or tptk. something dumb like that.

partygirluk
01-09-2005, 05:28 PM
Tough hand. Normally I limp with JJ with blinds this low, but this gives you a chance to get the blinds out and might allow you to bluff at some flops (Axx, Kxx) so the raise is OK too. This is definitely all in or fold time.

If you were against me, you would have a fold, as I would have a set. However, it is definitely possible that he is playing a straight draw, A9 or some hand like 77 here, and bets "to find out if he is bluffing with overs". He could also have TT, whilst I think he probably limp reraises with AA/KK given the preflop action.

I probably fold here as I think a set is too likely and you still have plenty to play with, but it is very close.

I