PDA

View Full Version : AA on a scary board early

TMFS9
01-09-2005, 03:28 PM
I feel that I played this hand pretty weak, because i didn't want to get committed early and lose my stack. One note is that as soon as I made my preflop raise I felt it should have been larger into the face of so many cold callers. So what would be the correct line.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB (t750)
BB (t1055)
UTG (t775)
UTG+1 (t980)
UTG+2 (t645)
MP1 (t690)
MP2 (t845)
MP3 (t630)
CO (t910)
Hero (t720)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t60</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls t60, MP2 calls t60, MP3 folds, CO calls t60, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t175</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls t115, MP2 folds, CO calls t115.

Flop: (t690) K/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t125</font>, MP1 folds, CO calls t125.

Turn: (t940) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, Hero checks.

River: (t940) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">CO bets t610 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls t420 (All-In).

Final Pot: t1970

Big Limpin'
01-09-2005, 03:35 PM
Agree, bigger P/F raise. AA on the button? bet the pot. T285 in pot to you, so yeah, id bet like double what you did. That being said though, i think your bet was adequate (in that its not like you also cold called or min raised)

That flop is awfully bad for AA, its pretty unlikely you are ahead. 2 pair is almost a certainty, and one pair/OESD is even money against you.

But hey, alls well that ends well right? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

willperkins
01-09-2005, 04:02 PM
Preflop:

Once play got to you, there was t225 in the pot. My minimum bet would have been 3xBB plus the limpers (in this case t270). I would probably push because if I bet t270, I am betting 37% of my stack anyway. The reason for the big bet is to try to push the blinds out and hopefully one or two of the three others already in the pot You certainly would love to be headsup with the best starting hand and about t1700 in the pot.

Flop:

You have t545 left and they both checked to you which means they either are on a flush or str8 draw. I don't think they have a set or two pair or a str8 because they would have bet (they would not want to give a free card to this board). Therefore, I would push. If they want to draw to the flush, I would make them pay. Besides, even if I'm not ahead or get outdrawn on the turn, I still have outs to the nuts.

Turn:

You now have t420 and he checked to you again, even after the 3rd /images/graemlins/club.gif hit the board. He is either has two pair, trips or a str8 draw. You should have pushed two times already and you should push here.

River:

He goes all in. He probably had something like AQ or AJ and hit is str8 and is now betting it. Easy call.

PapiChulo503
01-09-2005, 04:43 PM
Disclaimer: im pretty new myself so these are just my thoughts.

The preflop bet looks good. On the flop you have top pair, possible set, back door nut flush as well as a back door straight. What could your opponent have called with from UTG preflop?

AA- yup,
KK- Yup,
QQ- yup,
JJ- yup,
10- yup,
Ak- yup,
AQ- ?
AJ- ?
A10-?

He was first to act and he checked. The pot is appx ($525) before you bet, after your bet hes getting about 5 to 1 on his money. If hes got a 4 flush it will come in appx 35% of the time so I think hes correct in calling your bet getting 5 to 1. If hes already got U beat (A10) then hes going to call hoping to slow play you and get paid off but hes scared of the flush draw also. I would have bet about 3\4 of the pot(appx $375)on the flop to mess up anybodys odds who is trying to draw out on you.

So he calls your flop bet and the turn comes a club, he checks. Do I check or bet? I would check. If hes already got you beat(ie. the flush) he might re-raise your bet if he has the Q of clubs.

The ALL-In river bet is interesting. From what I have seen this kind of play screams( I MISSED and im hoping you did too ) but then again I only play $5+1 right now so unless you have some kind of read you cant go off this alone. I would have called the all in. You made the 2nd best hand. He either trapped you which means you lost and can move on to the next SNG or you are going to split the pot. Would anyone lay this down at this point with only about $400 left? Im assuming that its level 1 or 2 and you still have time BUT are we already so pot commited that we cant get out?

just my thoughts, please rip my post apart and tell me where my thinking needs some tweeking.

Big Limpin'
01-09-2005, 05:39 PM
I like your thinking. No ripping from me.
Get your ass out of the 5+1 dude. 10+1 is NOT any harder.

Texas Pete
01-09-2005, 05:55 PM
I'm all-in preflop, not only with aces, but pretty much any pair above 7s or so.

Big Limpin'
01-09-2005, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm all-in preflop, not only with aces, but pretty much any pair above 7s or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain your reasoning?

Texas Pete
01-09-2005, 06:11 PM
After I push they'll probably fold. Let's put it this way... if you were one of the other guys and I pushed, what would you call with? I'd only call with AA-QQ.

Big Limpin'
01-09-2005, 06:16 PM
OK. thats fair. but, at the time, you dont know that the flop will be so crappy for you. personally, i like making raises with AA that are AS BIG AS POSSIBLE, YET GET CALLED.

Maybe its just me, but when i KNOW i have the best of it preflop, i want to get paid off.

But we can disagree, i do understand what you are saying, and pushing certainly gives you the least chance of busting out this hand.

Spladle Master
01-09-2005, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
After I push they'll probably fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a five dollar SnG. I've seen PF all-ins on the first level called with JT before.

TMFS9
01-09-2005, 07:11 PM
Sorry i didn't list it in the original post but this was a 20+2.

TMFS9
01-09-2005, 07:16 PM
Turned out that villan held A/images/graemlins/diamond.gifQ/images/graemlins/diamond.gif and it ended up being a split pot. I felt my big misplay on this hand was not pushing on the turn. If the guy held two pair, the straight, or a set he wouldn't have checked it to me a second time with the 3rd flush card hitting, and if for some reason he did hold one of these i still had outs.

se2schul
01-10-2005, 09:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So, the BB is 30, you get dealt 88. Blinds are posted, there are a couple callers and it's to you. There's now 105 in the pot, and you will risk your ~800-900 chips to win 105? I don't see the logic. Part of the problem is that at the $10 Party SNGs, it's hard to make people fold preflop. KJs is a monster to some of these players and they'll call your small pocket pair and you'll only be a slight favorite (52:48). To me, it seems that you're putting yourself in an unnecessary coin-flip situation early. It sounds more like gambling and less like poker to me.

Personally, I take the advice that I've heard on this forum to limp with 66-JJ for set value early, and play higher poket pairs hard.

ss