PDA

View Full Version : Help with liquor for poker room

MaxSquat
01-09-2005, 02:56 PM
Hello....

Ok...here is the deal:

My wife gave me permission to turn our small basement into an office. With the theme "poker" in mind, I would like to have a shelf of "poker liquor" for display. I dont drink so it will be just for "decorations". After talking with some people here is what they have suggested so far:

- Crown Royal
- Jim Beam
- Jack Daniels (dont ask why)
- bottled beer from your local brewery

any more suggestions?

MaxSquat

jtr
01-09-2005, 03:30 PM
Why not give the alcohol to someone who will drink it, and put up a nice picture instead? Perhaps of a sunset?

The4Aces
01-09-2005, 03:55 PM
Krystal

rusellmj
01-09-2005, 04:34 PM
If this is gonna be an office and not a poker room it sounds kinda weird. Even with a poker theme. I play poker and I don't drink either. I mean, I have wine for my female "guests", but it'd be a little strange to have a liquor display that no one would drink. Spend the dough on something else. Maybe a little neon?
How about this? (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=573&item=614425804 2&rd=1)
Maybe this? (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=79647&item=4349232 378&rd=1)
Good Luck,
Russ

Fins
01-10-2005, 11:31 AM
Office = odd & old school... but Home Office = unproductively cool /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Vodka's - Kettle One, Grey Goose or Vox
Gin's - Bombay Sapphire, Hendrick's
Let someone enjoy the liquor than you can fill with water for your display /images/graemlins/wink.gif Plus this is a good "poker liquor" as it easier to look like your drinking and not be /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Maybe a poker room with an office theme would be better /images/graemlins/wink.gif

- Fins

TonyS0pran0
01-11-2005, 07:51 AM
Jack screams manly poker oom, go for the good stuff!!

Mojo Tooth
01-11-2005, 01:16 PM
I agree, single malt Scotch.

MacAllan, Glenfiddich, Aberlour

warewulf
01-11-2005, 02:21 PM
Don't forget some wine coolers! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Slow Play Ray
01-11-2005, 02:23 PM
My personal favorite "poker drinks" are:

Bailey's on the Rocks
Chivas Regal on the Rocks
Evan Williams on the Rocks
Johnnie Walker Black on the Pebbles
Crown Royal + Ginger (actually, a nice bottle for displaying)
Captain + Coke

Maybe I drink too much...

pukenpete
01-11-2005, 02:44 PM
Whatever you decide (the guy who said single malt scotch was dead on!), I'd get a nice decanter, tray, and 2 nice glasses... maybe an ice bucket too. If you go with vodka and gin, maybe a mini-shaker and martini glasses. I also like Patron Anejo for the cool bottle and the golden color of liquid. But you might want to keep it simple if you're not going to drink. Less things for you to dust...

pauly2x
01-11-2005, 03:16 PM
get a bottle of maker's mark.

it's very tasty and comes in a cool bottle as well.

www.makersmark.com (http://www.makersmark.com)

ddollevoet
01-11-2005, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Johnnie Walker Black on the Pebbles

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never heard "on the pebbles" before. What is it? Crushed ice?

elwoodblues
01-12-2005, 10:04 AM
Depending on what the room looks like, having a big jug with XXX on it with a few shot glasses would be pretty cool/funny.

messenger309
01-12-2005, 10:20 AM
I don't know about booze. I realized my home game had become kinda serious when I realized that no one drank anymore.

Rob

jtr
01-12-2005, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know about booze. I realized my home game had become kinda serious when I realized that no one drank anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is scary. For me the home game is a place to relax, get drunk, and play like an idiot. Are you guys playing for quite high stakes then? People at my home games are on highly varying incomes (e.g., university students), so we keep the stakes low enough for the poorest person. Which allows those with any kind of income to just knock back some alcohol and LAG it up!

messenger309
01-13-2005, 10:58 AM
Actually the funny thing is we don't play for high stakes. It is a NLHE cash game with .25/.50 blinds. Most of the players are limit players in the 2/5-10/20 range who are practicing their NLHE skills. We have a great time but bragging rights are at stake.

Rob

shejk
01-14-2005, 09:57 PM
The damned bragging rights are ruining your alcohol-intake! Last nl tourney I played with my friends I was the only one drunk. It worked great. They all figured me to be LAGgy and on my way down, so they kept folding to my allins. Of course, it ended up with me winning.

Maybe there is a lesson to be learnt - he who drinks the most, will brag the most! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

whiskeytown
01-14-2005, 10:27 PM
replace either the Jim Bean or JD with Jameson -

you don't need two borboun whikseys - let one go and take an irish whiskey in it's place -

RB

JinX11
01-14-2005, 11:39 PM
Absinthe.

wingsfan
01-15-2005, 12:50 AM
Who needs those pesky ears anyway? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

focus on poker
01-15-2005, 04:41 PM
Good for your wife! If they are for decorations only, you want them to be nice decorations. By saying nice, I am referring to top-shelf (more expensive) liquors. Yeah it may suck spending the money but it will be very presentable. I am an avid (not alcoholic) liquor drinker...not much beer. So, here are my two cents....

Bombay Saphire Gin
Crown Royal
Jack D. and Jim B.
Grey Goose Vodka
Belvedere Vodka
Absolute Vodka- They have multiple flavors with different colors on the bottle. One good idea is to empty the vodka out of the bottle and fill it with water. Then, take the tip out of a new highlighter that matches the color on the bottle and put it in the water. Let it sit, and over time the water will turn the color of the highlighter. For a final touch, put a light behind the bottle and they glow! Pretty!
Parrot Bay Rum (cool bottle)
1800 tequilla

Hope these help!

ethan
01-16-2005, 07:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am referring to top-shelf (more expensive) liquors. Yeah it may suck spending the money but it will be very presentable. I am an avid (not alcoholic) liquor drinker...not much beer. So, here are my two cents....

Bombay Saphire Gin
Crown Royal
Jack D. and Jim B.
Grey Goose Vodka
Belvedere Vodka
Absolute Vodka- They have multiple flavors with different colors on the bottle. One good idea is to empty the vodka out of the bottle and fill it with water. Then, take the tip out of a new highlighter that matches the color on the bottle and put it in the water. Let it sit, and over time the water will turn the color of the highlighter. For a final touch, put a light behind the bottle and they glow! Pretty!
Parrot Bay Rum (cool bottle)
1800 tequilla

[/ QUOTE ]

(bump to slightly more expensive)

Aside from Sapphire, I disagree with every single recommendation. (I apologize, I truly don't mean to be obnoxious, but I'm not sober enough to be nice and I've spent enough time with the booze to be opinionated.)

If you want blended whisky, get Johnny Black. But don't get blended whisky. Get a bottle of Knob Creek bourbon, and search the forum for scotch recommendations.

Jack D. is overpriced (marketing), and Jim B is bad. Buy Knob Creek. Some may tell you to buy Maker's Mark, that'd be fine but I think it's not as good. If you're going to buy a 1.75L MM is fine, as it gets cheaper than KC at that level.

Grey Goose - Not bad. I'd buy Vox for the same price, and Mor for less.

Belvedere - Significantly worse than Hangar One, Mor, Vox, Crater Lake etc

Absolut - You're only paying for marketing, this stuff is crap. Buy Fris if you can find it, if you can't then get Finlandia and chill the hell out of it. F's bad warm, and it's fantastic cold. The glowing bottle is, however, a reasonable recommendation.

Parrot Bay - I'm too much of an alcoholic to like this. I'd rather buy a decent cheap rum like Mount Gay, but the girlier audience will like it.

1800 tequila - see augie's thread for my recommendations here.