PDA

View Full Version : Early look at week 7

10-22-2001, 04:48 PM
New Orleans +13?

STL lost at home to New Orleans last year, and lost 2 of 3 games to them including a playoff game. Although STL is obviously player better than last year, and New Orleans appears to be struggling, 13 is a hell of a lot. This is about the point in the season where STL starts to look invulnerable and then drops a surprising game. I believe this game could be it.

Denver -8 over New England.

Hmm..... New England is just not a great team. They got 2 of their 3 wins vs a team that they do well against historically. Not to mention Indy is just not as good as people thought. In other words, New England has overperformed in getting three wins. Now they are going into the Denver's house. I believe this situation is similar to the game vs. Miami where they beat up on Indy and then went to Miami for an ass-whooping. Denver is NOT a bad team and Shanahan is a very good coach. I believe he will have his team whipped into shape and ready to drop the bomb on New England when they arrive at Mile High.

San Diego -8 over Buffalo.

I believe Buffalo got a boost by beating the Jags, but many of their problems have still not been addressed. So far, the Jags' Stacy Mack looked good for one game against Pit, but didn't produce much last week for the Jags. Is that because Buffalo finally learned how to stop the run or because Mack is not all that great? We'll find out but I'm guessing is the latter. Ladainian will get a lot of yards vs. a Cowart-less Buffalo. Denver stopped him by stacking the box but look what happened to them! If Buffalo stacks the box with 8 men, Flutie will be breaking records. If Buffalo backs off, Ladainian will be cruising down the field. It's lose/lose for Buffalo.

Seau is hurt and that may allow Buffalo to make some offensive plays, but last week San Diego unleashed an aggressive, attacking defense which worked wonders. I don't believe they'll pull back from that I think this will mean a very bad, very long day for Brad Johnson. They've got two rookies on the o-line and Wylie should get a couple sacks all for himself.

Give the points?

Giants at Washington: No line or total is out yet, but I think the under is an automatic play in any Washington game this year until proven otherwise.

Indy -3 at KC

Indy went to KC and beat them up last year. They clearly have no problem playing up to par at Arrowhead. However, what is par for these guys this year? They have so much capability ,and have performed so badly. Yet KC has also shown they are not a good team. But let's look at their home record:

Oakland: loss 27-24

NYG: loss 13-3

PIT: loss 20-17.

Indy is not as good as PIT, NYG, or Oakland, AND Indy's strengths do not play into KC as well as PIT or Oakland. For one, they don't have a bruising back. KC's linebackers had a big problem both the Bus and Dayne. Big bruising backs pounding their way downfield. Against Oak, they actually did pretty well vs. the run. Edgerrin is awesome, but not in the same way. I believe KC can contain Edgerrin.

KC is looking for a win here. As long as Trent Green doesn't throw picks, I believe KC can win this game. The Indy offense has been shown to be vulnerable, and we all know how bad their defense is. On the road at KC, their offense is going to have to really shine in order to beat KC by more than 3. I also note the vast disparity in coaching talent on these two teams. Vermeil can coach. We all know that. Five weeks is about right to get your team clicking under your new system. Even Schottenheimer got his team into motion last week. Perhaps Mora is about to be fully out-coached yet again? However, I would like this line better if it were KC +3.5

Honestly, I give KC the chance to shock the world here.

Again, these are not picks, just some thoughts. Feedback and conflicting views appreciated.

natedogg

10-22-2001, 08:44 PM
St. Louis is just looking too strong for me to in any way justify a bet on the Saints... That being said, 13 is a lot of points to give.. I'd stay off this game..

Denver: There is no doubt that Shanahan is an excellent coach, but their offense has really struggled with all of their injuries.. Last week, they could get absolutely nothing done against a San Diego defense that has shown itself to be vulnerable this season.. New England's offense is looking alright, and certainly better than Denver's.. Is Griese due for a big night??.. Not sure, will stay off this one too..

Bills:

I don't like Buffalo at all.. This game is going to be huge for Dougie b/c he wants to beat Buffalo soo badly after the crap he had to put up with the last few years... Can Buffalo rise to the challenge??.. Forget it, no way.. This is a grudge match, emotions will be high, and the San Diego defense will feed off of it.. Not sure if Seau is playing or not, but regardless, I think the Bills are one of the worst teams in the league this season, and they will continue to show it.. Take Chargers and give the points.. I also agree with your analysis on running game vs. opening it up.. Bills cannot win..

The under for Washington is a good bet until Johnson and Keyshawn can turn some of those 159 yards from last weeks into points.. I don't think it will be this week though..

KC and Indy, tough call.. two struggling teams, neither have shown that they have what it takes to beat the other.. Agree on KC though because of the home field.. I think both offenses can pick it up from what they've been doing, and with two sloppy teams, unexpected TD's come from everywhere... Haven't looked at the total yet, but over may be good...Not sure about this one, but I'm definitely also leaning towards KC.. will likely pass..