PDA

View Full Version : Matsui poker chips

anteater34
01-09-2005, 11:39 AM
Has anyone heard about these? I tried calling to get samples but the number i found was disconnected. Has anyone heard about the quality of these chips?

PinataUT
01-09-2005, 01:37 PM
I am going to have to edit this when I can review the email containing the details on pricing. I'll bump the thread but figured I'd post meantime. If I don't post an edit and you want more detail, pm me.

Crazy big fancy 'gold coin' - heavy
$2.50 each, 500 minimum, $300ish die charge

Coin
Didn't price these out because I don't care for the coins
I'm pretty sure that Murphy's at holdempokerchips.com are Matsui coin chips.

Various plastic inlay
1000 minimum
500 per color style
$.90/chip and $150 color change
These look and feel great. If I could get them in a smaller custom quantity would strongly consider them... Just as well, because I'm torn about what to get anyhow!

Clay
Nice 3 color clay (3 double-spots)
1000 minimum and 500 per color minimum
$.85/chip
HOT STAMP ONLY (working on inlay quality and they don't recommend it - suspecting that that means that they don't do it but won't do a direct refusal because it is impolite. So I can't tell if they have plans to work on it and it is a temporary quality control issue or if they have no plans to add that since their focus in on high-end plastic chips.

I must admit that I like the feel of these chips. They feel much better than the BC.

Hope that helps a little bit.

PinataUT

anteater34
01-09-2005, 01:44 PM
hey thanks. you wouldnt happen to know about kardwell chips? im kinda picky about the edge spots and im not too happy with what pokerchips.com restricts you to. i was hoping that either matsui or kardwell would be able to give me the double edge spots. but since i cant afford 500 of each denomenation that matsui requires it looks like kardwell might be my only option.

Slow Play Ray
01-09-2005, 01:51 PM
I am putting together a group buy of custom-colored dual edge-spot T.R. Kings with their standard King's Crown inlay, $0.85 apiece. PM me your email addy if you're interested.

PinataUT
01-09-2005, 06:32 PM
I'm 99.44% sure that Kardwell only offers 312 spots like pokerchips.com

PM Ray - I think that will be a nice-looking 2-spot order. TR King chips are very nice (IMO).

I'm currently struggling between
SUITS (love the colors and no denoms)
EGYPTIANS (nice theme, plaques / octos)
custom pokerchips.com (unseen - inlay / chip quality - samples on the way)
custom edge spot TR kings per Ray

I'm getting a smallish order of Egyptians for a head-to-head or 4-person set.

Francis
01-10-2005, 01:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm currently struggling between
SUITS (love the colors and no denoms)
EGYPTIANS (nice theme, plaques / octos)
custom pokerchips.com (unseen - inlay / chip quality - samples on the way)
custom edge spot TR kings per Ray

[/ QUOTE ]

heh, I know your pain. I was all set to pull the trigger on a set of suits after getting samples, but then I've been smitten with the egyptians, and I do like the octo / plaque idea.

I've ordered a small set of egyptians (5 of each denom, w/three octos/plaques). They are awfully compelling; I just wish they were non-denominational...

I still also like the "real clay" chips like the NJ martini's.. Ah, decisions decisions...

Regards,
Francis

PinataUT
01-10-2005, 02:22 AM
I had made a chart of 'contenders' for ring / tourney sets. It included the minor issue of security... (minor for me - not so minor for others)

So when comparing TR King stock inlay v. TR King custom edge-spot group buy v. totally custom set (I'm scared to death to call Dennis to find out pricing on a really small 3x2 set for myself) there's an increase in edge spot quality and security. (Probably be cheaper to get custom chipcos... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif )

When comparing SUITS to EGYPTIANS, I liked SUITS edge spotting a little better. I like CRYSTAL edge spotting the most of any Chipco I've seen so far but the artwork doesn't appeal to me.

I love SUITS. That said, the nature of the most excellent design underlines the lack of alignment of the edge spots. Also - the light gray stripe is part of a balanced and understated design but it is hard to see. Still the top chip so far out of anything I've seen and I was very close to pulling the trigger and taking a pass on everything else.

Two other non-players cruised through my pile of samples at different times and gravitated toward the SUITS and unstamped Matsui clays. BC's undersized / poorly placed label on Grand Island left me a little cold...

"Get them all" from holdempokerchips was very helpful. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

jon_1van
01-12-2005, 06:37 PM
I just got 75 NJ chips (not the martini) the clay ones. They are very very good. And since I don't want every thing to have 3 1/2 inch edge spots it is pretty much my only option if I want clay chips.