PDA

View Full Version : Flop contains pair, you catch piece... move?

wegs the wegs
01-09-2005, 10:51 AM
Let's say that you limped in the small blind with 78s and the flop comes down J8J, do you open it up with a bet or do you check it? Table is six-handed and 4 people saw the flop.
Typical 25NL on Party.

Does your move change if the flop comes 448?

This has happened to me a few times this morning and I was wondering what the correct move was. Sorry if more info is needed, it's early and I'm still sleepy.

Charlemagne
01-09-2005, 01:15 PM
In the first case I'd open up for about half the pot, hoping to take it down right away and be done with it if someone called or raised me. It's like a bluff.

In the second example i'd do about the same, except it would be a little more like a semi-bluff than a bluff. You could catch something

If i'd catch me a two pair on the turn i'd bet again. If someone would raise me there i'd abandon the pot. Check on the river and toss it if someone else bets a fairly large amount.

Buz
01-09-2005, 01:28 PM
What would one of your limpers do if they were limping with (my favorite) JT? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
do you open it up with a bet or do you check it?

[/ QUOTE ]

What good would checking do?
It would only provide information if the trips decides not to slow play, the button probably fires at the pot with anything if it is checked around to her.

What good would betting do?
I think firing at the pot at least eliminates the backdoor draws, the single overcards and the button bluff.

Any other thoughts? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

tbach24
01-09-2005, 01:34 PM
Bet out 1/2-2/3 pot on the first one, if it gets raised back at you fold (unless it's a check-raise and you feel that your kicker is good).

On the second one I check-raise. If it would have been a check-re-raise, then fold.

On the occasion that there is some type of legit draw (like 889 or two of any suit). Make sure your bet/raise depending on the situation is a little more solid and if the draw completes you can easily fold.

Hope that helps (not 100% sure I'm correct but I think it's the right move.)