PDA

View Full Version : Number of the beast on the flop, pocket Jacks in hand.

floppy
01-09-2005, 06:08 AM
Level 1 in Paradise

I'm afraid I don't have the specifics (my e-mail's down right now), but it went something like this:

Stacks are about even. Hero has 900, UTG and button about 1000

UTG calls 10
Hero (UTG + 1) has J /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif calls 10

A raise of 50 from the button
UTG calls
Hero calls

Flop comes 666

UTG bets 100

Advice? What do you do here?

assron
01-09-2005, 10:55 AM
1. raise preflop

2. raise postflop

Unarmed
01-09-2005, 11:05 AM
I don't mind playing JJ for set value early on in EP. IF you raise on level 1 you'll likely get called by all three overcards meaning your jacks are no good more that 50% of the time after the flop.

After the flop I make it 300 to go. You have the best hand right now but can't let button see the turn with his AK/AQ because it puts you in an awkward position if an over to your jacks falls. If Button comes over the top, fold. He might makes this move with 77-99, but folding is the low variance move here. If Button folds and UTG calls the flop bet 300 again on the turn. You don't want to scare off his underpair. Whatever UTG does I'm playing this for my whole stack against him.

Hey I have 500 posts! I need to slow down so I'm actually GOOOOOOOOOOOOD by Pooh Bah /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ReDeYES88
01-09-2005, 11:44 AM
What hands are you behind? AA, KK, QQ, and x6. I think you have to ignore x6 right now (if they have quads, so be it). t100 bet into ~t150 pot. Kinda smells like ace high or a small pair to me. I don't think you muck right now. The big concern about your action is that the original PF raiser has yet to act. One action is to repop it up to ~t250-300 and find out where you are. Another action (less desirable) is to call, hope the button calls, and root for a small card on the turn. I vote for the reraise.

Assuming that your opponents aren't holding a pair bigger than yours, your worst case scenario is that one holds AQ and the other Kx (or AK and Qx). That would be 9 outs for your opponents. ~18% chance that one of them hits on the turn, ~37% chance that one of them hits by the river.

A ~t300 reraise now increases the likelyhood of getting HU with one opponent, and gives that opponent slightly incorrect pot odds to draw one card on the turn if holding two faces. A subsequent push by you on the turn if the card comes low will also give him incorrect pot odds to call and see the river.

What if one of them comes over the top of your flop reraise? It's level one of what I am assuming is a low buy-in tourney. Opponents could make this push with a wide variety of hands. I call.

Opinions from others?

schwah
01-09-2005, 11:57 AM
raise to 300. if button comes over the top i think about folding. ill play my stack with UTG.

floppy
01-09-2005, 05:35 PM
The consensus seems to be raise 300. I went a little too aggressively and raised 400, but the idea was basically to kick out the overcards. UTG calls.

Turn a Q

UTG checks

What now?

And yes, this is a $10 + 1 table.

microbet
01-09-2005, 07:04 PM
If you check and he pushes the river what will you do? If you would call then you should push here.

While there is a good chance you are beat, I think there is a good enough chance he has lower PP or just A or K to go for the 950 in the pot.

I do think it is a close call though, and if there were multiple crazy people at the table I might check thinking it won't be that hard to double up and get back to where I was if he pushes the river.