PDA

View Full Version : straight with pair on baord...READ

Jonny
01-09-2005, 04:32 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP ($110.75)
CO ($621)
Button ($84.7)
SB ($177.65)
BB ($298.5)
Hero ($100)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif. SB posts a blind of $1.
Hero calls $2, MP calls $2, CO calls $2, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: ($9) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, MP checks, CO checks.

Turn: ($9) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $7</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $14</font>, CO calls $14, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ???</font>

What do you do. And your plan for the rest of the hand?

PoBoy321
01-09-2005, 04:54 AM
Out of curiosity, is there any particular reason why you're playing 89o from UTG?

Do you have any reads on these opponents? Namely, how far does CO tend to go with his draws? I think that you're good against MP since his 7 is no good anymore, I'm just worried that CO might have a monster and is trying to get value out of you, rather than chasing a draw. Personally, I would call and then put in a blocking bet on the river and fold to any particularly large raise.

soah
01-09-2005, 07:29 AM
Fold preflop. Since you didn't, use your read on both opponents to determine the proper course of action.

boondockst
01-09-2005, 07:41 AM
don't take us too harshly now

but we can't tell you how to play if we'd never play it in the first place.....

Jonny
01-09-2005, 02:01 PM
actually the reason I played it was because it was my last hand. I would fold this 95% of the time. So pretend its suited. What would you guys do on the turn?

soah
01-09-2005, 02:24 PM
Like I said, use your reads on your opponents to determine their probable holdings and then develop a plan based upon that. You can't play trash hands out of position if you don't even have a line on any of your opponents.

pdubz
01-09-2005, 03:36 PM
I'll pretend they are suited. My 89h has two clean outs against their boat and quads /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

For serious, if this was heads up with MP's min raise I might call, check the river and call any (maybe not a heart, 7 or T). If I suspect the player overplays hands like top-pair, or open trips I would make it $40 and try to get all in.

The big problem is CO's overcall, and his 600+ stack makes a big difference. Either this player is a gambler, or he is a very tight and good player hoping to trap you both. His over call makes the pot $44 and now any real raise is going to be dangerously pot-commiting. Equally, your hand is probably best -- but if you are behind you are absolutely crushed. I would call, then check the river to see what happens. This is one of those situations where your position makes a very good hand a very hard hand to play.

But if I know my party players, I'm leaving a lot of money on the table by playing it this way... reraising might be slightly higher EV, much higher variance. BTW, don't play hands differently when it's your last.