PDA

View Full Version : Adjustments you would make on a super short bankroll

Kaz The Original
01-09-2005, 03:17 AM
Playing limit on a 100BB bankroll what sort of adjustments if any would you make? What about 50BB?

manpower
01-09-2005, 03:31 AM
Reduce high volativity, low return plays. Play less marginal draws, bluff less, and generally play tighter preflop.

Kaz The Original
01-09-2005, 03:32 AM
Examples please ; )

Byrn
01-09-2005, 05:01 AM
What limits are we talking? Assuming bankroll preservation was the highest priority and we are playing relatively low (or else you would just drop down):

Don't bluff

Eliminate hands all these hands and below: A9s, ATo, KTs, KJo, QTs, QJo. This is assuming your opponents are loose. Tighten up more if they are playing tight (well just don't play if they are playing tight actually). I would probably play tighter than this, but this is a baseline.

Only play TT and lower for set value, and fold 88 and lower if you don't think you are going to get enough callers to get paid well for making it.

Make sure you are getting a good price for pure flush draws (ie 3-4 or more people calling in the pot with you).

Don't defend blinds without a very strong hand.

Assuming online play, rebuild bankroll with monthly bonuses at crypto.

Those would be to try to reduce variance for 100bb. For 50, well thats just taking a shot and realizing you have a good chance at busting. I wouldn't make any more specific changes.

Well, let me take that back. If I only had 50bb and wanted to build from there and had no reload, I would probably play NLHE online and find a table where I really felt I could play tight preflop, limp when I wanted to, and get paid big postflop for making a hand. Table selection would be key there.

Jack Fate
01-09-2005, 07:13 AM
i think this would be similar to the way you would play in a tournament. at least the don't push small edges aspect of tournament play.

Rudbaeck
01-09-2005, 08:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Playing limit on a 100BB bankroll what sort of adjustments if any would you make? What about 50BB?

[/ QUOTE ]

Play Omaha/8.

Noo Yawk
01-09-2005, 03:26 PM
Hi Kaz,

I would either drop limits or pick better games. Don't vary your game to your bankroll.

If you are playing low or micro-limits then the amount of your bankroll is negligable enough that you should be able to replenish it with relative ease from non-poker sources.
If your playing say, 20-40 or 30-60, then rebuilding at 10-20 or 15-30 in effect doubles your bankroll until you can rebuild to a comftorable level.

manpower
01-09-2005, 04:05 PM
The type of things I was refering to was marginal starting hands, as has been mentioned. But also things like pumping your draws when it is only very marginally profitable to do so, say something like checkraising a non-nut flush from ep into two callers. However, most draws are relatively clear cut as opposed to playing back at someone when your AKo misses and you think their raise is a bluff. I think I get a lot of my br volativity from blind play and other marginal bluff/ counterbluff situations. So as has been said, bluff less /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Also drop down in limits, if it's a possibility.

mosquito
01-09-2005, 07:03 PM
For a 100BB roll, it's mostly avoiding getting
money in on marginal hands/plays to avoid a
devastating downswing. Bluffs can still be used
effectively (only one bet, after all) but only
because you will have a very tight image.

For 50BB, this will still give some chance of
survival, but the death rate is obviously much
higher.

jogger08152
01-09-2005, 07:22 PM
100BB) Table selection - you want passive and weak. Play tight, but note that tight doesn't mean "play big cards". Play hands that can either make the nuts or easily be thrown away. Avoid hands that are likely to get you into trouble. (Example: muck KJ and AT even in good position.) Raise less preflop (except big pairs and big suited aces), since at the type of table you want to be playing at, you're more likely to run into a bad two pair type hand ("it was sooooooted").

50BB) Move down to a lower limit.

ggbman
01-09-2005, 07:39 PM
Play only AA-99, AK-AJ and KJ, KQ. No suited connectors or small pairs. I would also probably get a job and save a bigger bankroll /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Noo Yawk
01-09-2005, 07:51 PM
Kaz,

You should not be basing your decisions at the table on bankroll considerations. Bluff if it is correct. Raise if it is correct. Fold if it is correct. Whatever. Making any other decisions based on fear of going bust is not good poker, nor will it lead to BR survival. I know you already know that.

The only decisions that should have any bearing as it applies to BR are:

1-Game selection
2-limit
3-chance of replenshment from outside sources.

bernie
01-09-2005, 07:56 PM
I'd move down a limit.

b