PDA

View Full Version : Tournement training

Sifmole
01-09-2005, 02:55 AM
All,

Is Wilson's Tournement Texas Hold'em any good for practicing for the PokerStars low buy-in ( $10, and $3 RA ) tourneys?

When I first started playing I did okay in the tourneys. Then, just nothing. I can't succeed at all. I play tight, because when I don't I am out very quickly. And then I always end up one hand from out because I am so short stacked.

I have read TPFAP and started losing immediately after I did. Any other suggestions?

Later all

JaBlue
01-09-2005, 03:03 AM
If you want to learn how to play, read these boards and get experience in a buy-in that you're comfortable with. Experience is the most important part.

Sifmole
01-09-2005, 03:14 PM
I read these board constantly, and coughing up about $30 a weekend is well within my comfort level. I take the buy-ins out of my 1/2 Limit winnings.

For quite a while I labored under the misguided thought that I was just getting extremely unlucky over and over. But I have decided that I must be doing something that is putting me in those positions. I was looking for a bit more "active" training because reading here hasn't helped me out.

For instance last night my "mistake" hand was:

In the BB with 4k stack, about middle for the table a bit under average for the tourney -- blinds 100/200

I get 92o, 3 limpers ( UTG, MP1, CO ) and I check.

Flop: A 9 2 ( rainbow ) ( 900 in the pot )
I lead out for 900, glad to take the pot with just a 92o
UTG calls, MP1 and CO fold.

Turn: 5 ( fourth suit )
I check because UTG had been aggressive and I figured I had the best hand at this point and wanted to make the most of it -- not getting enough for my good hands is one of my problems I think. I figured UTG for an AK - AJ.
UTG bets 500... I re-raise all-in.

He flips over A9 and that is where I leave the tourney.

It is hands like this which shove me out all the time. I am sincere in that I believe I must be doing something wrong to be putting myself in these bad positions all the time. I understand that is even some mistake that leads up to me AKo vs A6s losing after an all-in pre-flop.

Any winning player interested in letting me watch over their shoulder for a tourney? Feel free to PM me if you are interested in working out something.