PDA

View Full Version : 40% ITM....losing day (vent post: no content)

Big Limpin'
01-08-2005, 06:40 PM
Yesterday...the most frustrating day i've had in a L-O-N-G time. Didnt lose much money, not a big deal, but man was i getting pissed off.

28 tourneys: 1 Win, 1 Second, 9 Third. ITM=40% ROI=-16%

Also, the 1st and 2nd came in the first handful of tourneys. For i guess the last 20 games, i not once got better then 3rd. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

And the kicker....MANY times i had a big stack when ITM....its not like i was squeaking in for all of em. I think i won about half of the ITM hands i got all in while dominating. PP vs PP....river em a small set....AQ vs A9...here come the nines....

citanul
01-08-2005, 06:49 PM
Big,

Please don't take this the wrong way, but of late, posts like this are polluting the forum.

Daliman's, yours, and I think Thorgot had one a bit ago. These "venting" posts are exactly what no one really wants to see. Moreover, what do you want us to post in response, the exact same "we've all had runs like that every once in a while" that we posted to the guy who posted the same stuff yesterday?

Here goes:

We've all had runs that have looked approximately exactly like yours. So have you! That means that you know they can happen and have already learned that they are just a fact of playing the SNGS. Unless you have some reasonable excuse for posting this, possibly say, something that you changed about your game before you played today that you think resulted in the finishes being distributed like this, there really is no reason to post this stuff, right?

Good luck in the future, but come on, you know better.

citanul

Mr_J
01-08-2005, 06:56 PM
Yeh that happened to me yesterday. 50% ITM but all 3rds. The rest were all 4ths and a 5th. I did deserve to lose on most of those 4ths though (getting caught stealing vs PPs, or coming in over the top of what I thought was a steal and running into PPs).

Started playing seriously 2 days ago, when I got my monitor to allow me to 4table. Only played around 2 dozen sngs before that ever in my life. Was gonna start at $55s (I've got 18, 5 ITM but 4 1sts for a profit) but decided to drop down to $33s since I'd probally make more /hr there. Only down a few hours but:

Finish % Number
1st 3.8% 1
2nd 15.4% 4
3rd 19.2% 5
4th 15.4% 4
5th 15.4% 4
6th 19.2% 5
7th 7.7% 2
8th 0.0% 0
9th 0.0% 0
10th 3.8% 1

1st is very ouch, 4th-6th is ouch. I've gone 1-4 HU, probabilities say I should be 3-2 (2 bad beats). The times I busted out OTM, I had the better hand 56% of the time. I write down why I get knocked out and I've definately had the best of it most of the time.

I might be playing more aggressive on the bubble than I should be.

Big Limpin'
01-08-2005, 07:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Please don't take this the wrong way, but of late, posts like this are polluting the forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. I will take it the "right" way...my bad, wont happen again.

If this goes to kangaroo court though...let the record show that this is my FIRST (and only, i hope) one of these, and i thought putting "vent" and "zero content" in the title might help avoid wasting anyones time.

I am fully aware that this doesnt even qualify as a streak...its only one day. I just thought the stats were kind of cool, in that the ITM was above average, but neg ROI. I had made some post last few days trying to discredit %ITM as a basis for eveluating your game, and because this mini-streak happened like the very next day, thats why i posted it.

Again, my bad. No more of these.

citanul
01-08-2005, 07:10 PM
No prob.

I actually find the discussion (though I don't think I posted in it) about ITM v ROI as an analysis tool to be quite interesting.

I had an issue, personally, at hte 20s where I had an ITM of like 39% and an ROI of something like 8%. Clearly, the two need to be considered in conjunction.

ROI is clearly the more important of the tools, since all people interested in making money should really care about is well, making money. However, if one also cares about bankroll/variance issues, you need to consider how you are reaching that ROI. Again, those with a large enough bankroll could care less, as long as they have a confidence in their ROI being a certain way.

I totally agree that people consider ITM too big a thing. I recently made a couple of changes in my game that I believe will over the long run sac a point or two in ITM but pick up my 1sts and 2nds in relation to my 3rds. Clearly these are good changes. Clearly there is a functional relationship between what you can sacrifice in ITM and maintain in ROI by changing distribution. I just made a post in another thread telling someone to write up a small chart (or whatever format he chooses) to analyze this problem for himself. I hope that he posts back his results.

Again, I didn't mean for you to take my post to harshly. I just don't want people to become overly accustomed to seeing such "meaningless" posts at the top of the forum.

Hope it turns around quickly,

citanul