PDA

View Full Version : WSOP Circuit Event Hand at Harrahs AC

MercTec
01-08-2005, 05:53 PM
OK, this hand has been bothering me so I want some input on how it should be played.

Mid tourney, started with over 600 players, down to ~200 or so. A bit below average in chips at around 2500. (1000 to start)
Blinds 100/200 with a 25 ante.
On the button, 2 limpers to me (both ok players....but not who I would consider in the top 4 strongest players at the table. I limp with A /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif
SB folds, BB checks.

Flop is Q /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Checked to player on my right who bets 500. Around 1600 in the pot.

You're move?

partygirluk
01-08-2005, 06:05 PM
Push. What does everyone think of limping preflop? I would have folded.

But on this flop, with stacks this deep, you have to push. You are a favourite vs. any 1 pair hand he has, and you have folding equity. If you call and a brick comes on the turn and he pushes then you have to call 1800 into a 4400 pot. With 9 clean outs and 5 possible outs, so say 12 outs, which is ~25% you will have to fold, which is not nice. And if you did hit your flush you allow him to get away from it. Meanwhile, having him fold and increasing your stack by ~ 50% is a nice result.

jslag
01-08-2005, 07:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Push. What does everyone think of limping preflop? I would have folded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Limping here is fine. You're against weaker players at the table and have position. In fact, coming in for a raise would be okay too, IMO.

I like the idea of pushing here. You're 2.6-to-1 to have your flush, two pair, or trip eights by the turn. The only hands you have to worry about here are 88 and 77, to which you'll lose to about 70% of the time.

MercTec
01-08-2005, 08:16 PM
I was about 90% sure he had a Q here. But I did in fact push. He thought for about 30 seconds and called with Q9o.
No help on the turn and river for me and I'm crippled. I did have him slightly covered, forgot to mention that.
14 clean outs actually made me a slight favorite....coin flip essentially if he calls.
I was hoping for a fold to pick up a nice pot, but figured if called, I had mucho outs.

Thanks for the input.

Anyone take a different line?

partygirluk
01-09-2005, 05:27 AM
One thing to consider is raising 75% of your stack in. This commits yourself to the hand, but looks as if you really want to call. Thus it could improve your fold equity.

Also, sometimes a week player will just call your raise, and check the turn to you. You can take the free card (as you have 0 FE now) and save yourself some $ if you miss.

JaBlue
01-09-2005, 06:00 AM
Push on the flop. I can't think of a hand that has you in bad shape. Worst case scenario is that they have a set, but even then you still have flush outs and a good-sized pot.

and partygirl: mucking preflop is pretty bad. You have the best position and a decent starting hand. Do you really think someone limped this late in the tourney with a hand that has you dominated? Raising is also possible depending on the conditions at this time. Usually this late in a tourney I see limping as a sign around their neck saying "take my money."

Rockatansky
01-09-2005, 11:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone take a different line?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't voluntarily put my tourney life on the line when I am, at best, a slight favorite. Sometimes you have to do this, but this wasn't one of those situations - you had too many chips to be in "push or fold" mode.

If you're going to gamble, I think merely calling and waiting to see what the turn brings is a better line to take. Yeah, I hate just calling in NL too, but this is one of those cases where a passive opponent has given you pretty good pot odds to chase your draws. If you just call I think there's a decent chance that he checks to you after the turn.