PDA

View Full Version : Fishy talk

sourbeaver
01-08-2005, 03:58 PM
I love chatting with these guys.

I completed with AQo from the SB (my standard line since it's early pos.) and went to showdown with a guy holding K6s. Here's the little chat that followed the hand.

me: n
him: eww u limped
him: lol
me: AQ early .. not that much of a raising hand
him: i think u were sb
me: yes
him: thats late

*add to buddy list*

jtr
01-08-2005, 04:07 PM
I appreciate the sentiment, but doesn't a sensible mini-lecture on raising standards from early position constitute tapping the glass?

sourbeaver
01-08-2005, 04:18 PM
Perhaps /images/graemlins/blush.gif
But I don't think this one's very open to ideas.

Tilt
01-08-2005, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I appreciate the sentiment, but doesn't a sensible mini-lecture on raising standards from early position constitute tapping the glass?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah dont do that. Just say something like "yeah I love slowplaying".

BigF
01-08-2005, 05:17 PM
What I would have done. I'm serious here.

him: eww u limped
him: lol
me: yeah should i have done something different?
him: i think u shoulda raised coz AQ is a strong hand you were second to last to act.
me: ty

*add to buddy list*

excession
01-08-2005, 05:37 PM
Lol I love micro-limit players talking about 'tapping on the glass'. How wannabee can you get?

The concept of 'not tapping on the glass' only makes sense when you are risking your own and other player's living by wising a fish up. In other words it's for pros and semi-pro games only.

It's only because all the literature still assumes you want to be a semi-pro and maximise your income that the concept has ended up on low level boards..

How on earth does this apply to (say) a Party $25 NL table ?
These are social games at social limits. Folks come and go every few minutes in a never ending stream. No-one should be trying to earn a living at those limits and if they are and that's the best they can do, they should respect the fact that 99% of people there are playing socially, for the intellectual contest and/or to relax.
Provided you aren't being obnoxious or patronising you can say what you like, and that includes telling a guy on tilt that 'maybe 5 buy-ins is enough mate'...

Kaz The Original
01-08-2005, 06:01 PM
Bad habits are bad habits. Don't talk strategy to players during a game, unless you are intentionally misleading them.

sourbeaver
01-08-2005, 06:50 PM
I wonder if any of you actually got why I posted this ..

SB = earliest position possible (except PF)
"him: thats late"

that's it, little humor, how about we don't care about the glass or whatever for once /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

excession
01-08-2005, 08:41 PM
lol you would discuss strategy in any other social game situation - unless you're a wannabee pro then it isn't a bad habit..

Now if you're patronising someone with unasked for advice that is a good reason not to do it, but 'not tapping on the glass' means nothing in micro-limit game - it's like someone insisting on professional golfing etiquette on a municipal pitch and putt - at best a bit pompous, at worst sad...

jtr
01-08-2005, 09:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
at best a bit pompous, at worst sad...

[/ QUOTE ]

Story of my life.

Excession, I don't want to argue with you, but I am definitely not playing the low-limit NL on Party for social reasons. Also the "intellectual contest" bit is doubtful. If I wanted a social game, I'd invite friends over. If I wanted an intellectual contest, I'd... well, do something more intellectual than low-limit Party games. Now I don't know if that makes me a semi-pro by default, but I have to respectfully disagree with you here.

Sourbeaver, apologies for the hijack. I liked the SB=late thing, don't worry.

Tilt
01-08-2005, 09:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
at best a bit pompous, at worst sad...

[/ QUOTE ]

The same might be said of your posts.

If you dont take small stakes seriously, post elsewhere please.

excession
01-08-2005, 10:34 PM
I take small stakes seriously enough to try to play to the best of my ability (and am a steady winner so far) but not so seriously to think that I have any right to limit the discussion of others at the table short of them being personally offensive.

I would be astonished if anyone is really earning much above a bit of pocket money at the Party $25's - I know one guy who makes about $20,000/year on PS $50 tables, but that is still not exactly a living wage if you have any responsibilites or family. If you're bright and disciplined enough to make $20/hr at Party $25's then you can make a dman sight more doing something more conventional instead.

I play purely for the intellectual challenge. Money is a way of keeping score and maybe buying a new computer monitor or laptop and the end of the year.

I don't delude myself that I'm a pro or a semi-pro nor that I ever will be.

If you want to be one you will need to work up to higher stakes. If you have that as your aim then thats fine but don't try to impose a pros morality on all the rest of the players at the loose change tables please...

Triumph36
01-08-2005, 11:22 PM
I have to agree. People like to talk at low-limit and a little bit of strategy discussion isn't going to kill your EV. I like talking strategy; it's why I'm a member of this board and why I post occasionally.

Most people at the tables I've played, online and B&M, aren't playing the game to make money, so they're not really listening to what you're saying anyway.

I guess this divides people who consider themselves pros and people who don't. And I guess it is a bad habit that I should stop. Still, lectures about 'tapping the glass' suck all the life out of what is already often a lifeless game.

Sephus
01-08-2005, 11:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would be astonished if anyone is really earning much above a bit of pocket money at the Party $25's

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you would indeed be astonished if you knew what some 2+2ers have made/are making at nl25.

willie24
01-09-2005, 12:07 AM
i doubt that anyone was trying to imply that it's possible to educate someone with chitchat at a small stakes NL table to the point of costing yourself money.

i suspect the "tapping on the glass" comment refered more to the effects that strategy discussion can have on your table image...which is, of course, significant at any limit...