PDA

View Full Version : How often do you face this crap?

NorthernGuy
01-07-2005, 11:11 PM
I don't have the hand because it was on UB and I closed the window quite quickly (and I don't know of any way to get hand history from UB after the window is closed).

I was on the button with about t1500, looking down at AA. Villain is in MP (with about t4500), blinds are like 15/30, only about 30 minutes into the tournament. He raises to 90, firt in with everyone folding to me. I make it 210 and the blinds fold... he raises me enough that I have to go all-in, so I figure he's got a big hand, but I gladly call and get my chips in. He turns over 55, and of course, a 5 and two 4's come out on the board, with nothing that helps me.

I am horribly frustrated by this play, but having faced similar situations where the opponent turns KK (or even QQ or JJ), I haven't been nearly as frustrated.

I realize this seems like a rant, but I'm wondering how many of you face this situation (and result), and how often? I only have time to play a certain number of tournaments per week because of a full-time job and part-time degree pursuit, so I get really ticked when I get knocked out this early by what seems like drunken idiots.

Do all the players that play many tournaments a week face this type of play very often? I might expect to get a bad beat more often if I was facing more opponents, but it was narrowed down to only one.

Che
01-07-2005, 11:24 PM
In online tournaments, this will happen a lot and you will lose this hand about 2 times in 11.

But, things will be different when you move up to higher buyins. At higher buyins, it works like this:

1. The betting proceeds as you described.
2. Villain turns over Q5o and hits a 4-straight to beat you.
3. He, another player at the table, and 2 railbirds berate you for about 10 minutes saying "that's what you get for slowplaying aces, you f**king idiot."

So get used to it. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Later,
Che

NorthernGuy
01-07-2005, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the response Che. I am getting used to it, though it has me playing a lot less than I was a few months ago. It seems the players are getting much more wild and crazy, and I'm not getting much enjoyment from my buy-in fee, at least when I bust out like that in the first 30-45 minutes. Playing is my release from everyday BS, or at least it used to be.

I suppose I should start playing fewer tournaments per week, but at a higher buy-in and maybe the play will be a little less wild.

Che
01-08-2005, 12:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I suppose I should start playing fewer tournaments per week, but at a higher buy-in and maybe the play will be a little less wild.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not. Any online tourney with a buyin of $100 or less will have lots of morons and hyperagg players (and thus be high variance). To keep your sanity, you are better off playing more smaller buyins so that you don't worry when you get sucked out on because you can sign up for another tourney within 30 minutes.

If you only play 3 larger buyins per week and you get sucked out on in the first two, you will probably have trouble playing well in the last one (and the ones the following week...).

Besides, even the tourneys with buyins >$100 have lots of morons so you really can't get away from the bad beats. You just have to endure them and wait for the tourney when you somehow avoid them and win thousands of dollars as a result.

Later,
Che

boondockst
01-08-2005, 08:56 AM
It's no consolation to you now but you want that player to call you with that hand.

doggin
01-08-2005, 10:26 AM
I played in a 5.00 NL tourney a couple days ago and before first break, I got up to 8500 chips and was the chip leader
for about an hour. To get the 8500, I got it all in on a
flopped OESD and Q high four flush with the flush getting
completed to triple up.
Got ate down to T6500, when AA appears, blinds 100/200,
I'm UTG and make it 600 to go. Folded to MP who raises
to 1200, folded back to me and I push all-in, he calls
with K T offsuit. Flop comes X T T and I'm out. Damn.

I just can't see how anyone survives all the friggin landmines thru a tourney, be it a 5 dollar event or a
200 dollar buy-in.
But they have to somehow. At least I know I got all my
chips in with the best hand possible. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

jslag
01-08-2005, 11:15 AM
This happens fairly often. Just shrug it off and get on to the next tournament. You got all your chips in preflop with the best hand in the game. Nothing more you can ask for in a tournament.

Realize that you made your opponent make a big mistake. The majority of the time you're sending him packing and you've doubled up.

DC_Camel
01-08-2005, 01:38 PM
absolutely true, but the law of selective memory only allows me to remember the times i get busted and not the times i double through, so it seems like it happens all the time... /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Potowame
01-08-2005, 06:05 PM
Next time Dont leave so fast take notes on this guy. First I think a Raise from utg with small blinds with 55 is very marginal. Of course the Push was (Fishism 101).

I play the low buy-in UB trnys and the over Aggression with any pair is Horrible. You see guys hit there set two times in a row like this a take a huge chip lead then piss it all away before the money calling off huge amounts of thier stack with 22-66.

This hand happen right before the first break in a 10=1 trny at UB. I was not in this hand but I thought what a retard.

BB 30/60

UTG+1 2500 Raises to 200
MP2 Calls 200
Hero SB Folds
BB T2400 Pushes All-in with 22

UTG+1 Calls with AK no Improvement.

BB says thats what I Thought he had, So I pushed to Isolate him since I was a Favorite.

You just have to laugh, this guy was wanting UTG+1 to call him with his 22 think that he was the Favorite here. This Leads to The "he has AK" thinking and they Push any Pair think they are the Favorite.

zaxx19
01-08-2005, 06:08 PM
Yeah Potawotame but people calling all ins with AK know what they are in for...Im not a huge fan of calling all ins for all my chips with AK early and mid tourney unless I read A-X.

Ryner
01-08-2005, 07:18 PM
You call it crap, I call it good.

Potowame
01-09-2005, 02:42 AM
I will fold AK pretty easily for all my chips early, I am not saying his call was correct. I am saying that you see these guys pushing these small pairs always think he has AK.

I like the players that push all-in with the small pairs Because most 90% the Time I will fold (EARLY) a unpaired hand and they win a small pot. But when I call With a pair 90% of the time it is Biggger than thiers and they are toast.

I mark them every time I see them do it under 99. They are Dead meat eventually.

zaxx19
01-09-2005, 03:14 AM
Agreed...but if you notice alot of it(overplay of mid pairs..) then isnt it prudent to slow down with AK??

Im not saying I prefer people overplaying mid pairs to AK ...just trying to see if people recognize that they are overplaying AK alot in early and mid-tourney situations.

Absolution
01-09-2005, 03:31 AM
Low buy-in is all motivated by ego. They don't like to even consider that they might be bluffed. A reraise is like a blow to their ego and they feel that they have to call to save face. They'll call your reraise with a marginal hand without even thinking (their call is instant, as if they clicked the 'call any' button). Also, they all slowplay WAY too much and generally just try to out-trick each other (lots of limp reraising, post oaking, etc...). Again, this is as much ego as it is trying to get more money out of their opponent. It takes a while to pick up on their little games, but once you do you can avoid some of the landmines. I'm still trying to figure out all the little games they play. The problem is that there are so many landmines at this level, and even though you will probably have the best of it more often you usually have to risk most of you chips every time you play (again, ego = all-in a lot). I've only ever been able to finish around the bubble in these things. I'm still trying to figure them out. Right now I feel you are mostly at the mercy of the cards. The amount of plays you can make are limited because of your opponent's unpredictability.

slickpoppa
01-09-2005, 03:34 AM
How often do you face this crap?
Hopefully in every torunament or cash game I play in.

Potowame
01-09-2005, 04:03 AM
Well I said I would not call off all my chips with AK, as of trying to push someone off a raise with AK thats another story. If someone makes a raise that is a 1/3 of my stack I cant just call with AK. Blinds 30/60 Raise to 350 and I have 1000-1400 range I am usually pushing.