PDA

View Full Version : nice laydown phil, i mean josh

slickpoppa
01-07-2005, 10:11 PM
Josh Arieh was down to four hundred chips from his original 10,000 stack. I don't know how he got there. It happened fast. And by the time I got back to his table, he'd somehow rebuilt his stack to almost 9000. I was amazed, and frankly, impressed that he'd rebuilt so much so fast.

With the blinds at 100/200, an early-position player raised to around 1200. Arieh re-raised immediately, making it 2500.

The nine-seat thought for a moment or two and announced all-in.

The blinds folded, as did the first raiser.

Arieh went in the tank. And started talking.

"I've laid this hand down once before in my whole life," he said.

He might as well have said, "I'm holding kings over here."

He put his fingers on his cards in a familiar "I'm about to muck" motion, then eyed his opponent. He must have seen something, because he put his chips back on his cards and thought some more.

He said something about hating to call dead after building back from 400. A valid concern, I suppose. After a raise, and a re-raise, it seemed likely his opponent had aces.

Finally, Arieh mucked, flipping his cards up. A king hit the table as another card fluttered into a player's lap. I didn't have to see it. I knew it was a king.

I was hoping his opponent would turn up aces, just so I could tell the story as I predicted it.

His opponent, Steve (aka ackbleh), tabled his hand.

Queens.

Daliman
01-08-2005, 03:27 AM
Oh my.

I guess we found one of the 5% he CAN'T outplay.

Brad F.
01-08-2005, 03:40 AM
lol, I love the subject to this post. Arieh proved to be quite the gentleman in the WSOP last year. :-)

Laying down Kings preflop.... I think I've done that, uh, never. Might be the reason I'm sitting here posting with no money in any account, but....

Brad

Ulysses
01-08-2005, 03:58 AM
So, you like Gavin's opponents' play better?

slickpoppa
01-08-2005, 04:07 AM
i just find it amusing when someone tries to be a toughguy by showing off a big laydown and then turns out to be completely wrong

TimTimSalabim
01-08-2005, 04:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"I've laid this hand down once before in my whole life," he said.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too funny. This guy doesn't think he's Hellmuth, he thinks he's Doyle.

Ulysses
01-08-2005, 05:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i just find it amusing when someone tries to be a toughguy by showing off a big laydown and then turns out to be completely wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I thought it was pretty hilarious too. Just bustin' yer balls.