PDA

View Full Version : raise, check-fold, check- call, check-raise

CASHIZ
01-07-2005, 09:03 PM
Been getting alot of hands like this, please give any insight.

Mid Raise in early postion with A-Q, two callers.

Flop comes 9d-2d-4s

Your first to act and bet (maybe not, explain) one caller

6d hits the turn, your first to act, whats your move.

Please explain thought process given u just sat and know nothing about caller.

PhiGamTN
01-07-2005, 09:13 PM
i'll assume you're talking about a ring game here. For this specific example turn play (and possibly flop play) depend on wether you have the Ace or Queen of diamonds. That being said i usually check fold this on the flop (but then i'm primarily a tournament player) no reason to jepordize chips in a ring game with a marginal holding when there's always another hand coming.

schroedy
01-07-2005, 09:19 PM
I am not expert by any stretch but I think we need to know the suits of your (AQ) cards.

Without a backdoor draw, I am putting the coldcaller on a hand that is ahead of AQ if AQ doesn't improve. That may be giving her too much credit, but it is the way I would play (not calling a raise with less than AQ and usually not calling with AQ).

Some hands that you might beat that are in the mix I suppose are things like KQs, KJs, KTs, QJs, JTs and, ugh, QTs . . . add in AQs, AJs and ATs, I suppose.

As I play more and more hands, I am more and more inclined to just let this go without position and without hope for improvement beyond pairing (maybe drawing as slim as two outs to the non-diamond Q).

In other words, check and MAYBE call the flop. Check and fold the turn unless there is a draw to a diamond flush.

BarronVangorToth
01-07-2005, 10:12 PM
A big problem when you miss is the same good thing when you hit -- almost no matter what hits, whenever you get a half-dozen people to the flop, and you bet, you will always get 2-4 callers.

When you hit your AQ with that Q and you get 4 callers from the flop, 2 on the turn, and 1 on the river and you win -- woohoo! -- but, because of the woohoo, you have to remember that you also can't bluff those same people off their hands on the flop.

I remember maybe ONE time in the last year where there were more than five or six to the flop where a single bet in any ring game got EVERYONE else to fold. When there are 15-25 SB's in there, someone would be crazy not to call with any draw for a single SB, especially if it gets them heads-up or near to heads-up.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com (http://www.BarronVangorToth.com)

Pepsquad
01-08-2005, 01:46 AM
Check-fold the turn. In limit, he probably isn't going anywhere and you didn't get any help on the turn. You now have 6 outs and they might not even be clean. Cut you losses.

jogger08152
01-09-2005, 08:45 PM
You didn't say whether the callers (particularly the one who takes the turn with you) were the blinds or players in later positions, nor did you specify the suits of your AQ.

I'll assume he has position on you, since you mention check-raising as an option.

Check-fold, if neither your Ace nor your Queen is a diamond. He's either got a pair, a diamond flush, or a straight draw. Of these, the straight draws are least likely, given that he called a raise. If you have either diamond, you can consider calling a bet. (At microlimits, I would be inclined to do so, particularly with the Ad.)

manpower
01-10-2005, 01:07 AM
You know, I've been really amazed at how often an unimproved AK or AQ has held up on the river in the 2-4 party games. If I've got position, my general line is bet the flop, bet the turn and check behind. That said, i think you have to check fold this turn if you don't have the flush draw.

Oh, and this:
[ QUOTE ]
no reason to jepordize chips in a ring game with a marginal holding when there's always another hand coming.

[/ QUOTE ] is a patently wrong statement.

Dawdy
01-10-2005, 09:55 AM
AdQd would be a bet on the flop, check on the turn and a bet ont he end. AQ off would be a fold. Ad Qoff would be a bet on the flop, check on the turn and maybe a bet on the end depending. Aoff Qd would be a checked down.
One of my main concerns here would be A9. If an A dropped on 4th or 5th I wouldnt be inclined to bet it as Im putting atleast one of the preflop callers on A rag.

like all things this is dependent on reading the style of your opponents and what they typically call a raise with but on the whole most ppl play high cards, A anything (justified when suited! lol) and pairs. So what your against on the flop is (trips) 3x9, 3x4, 3x2 (2 pair) maybe 4's and 2's (1 pair) overpair - TT,JJ,QQ,KK or AA pair with high kicker 9's and A,K,Q,J and T kicker. Also theres the chance of 9's with an 8 or 7 kicker but less likely on a normal table. I wouldnt expect 87 to be around after a preflop raise so the straight draw is remote as are some of the options above such as TT, JJ, QQ, trip 2's and 4's as Id expect a reraise preflop from someone holding these hands.

If I was worried about the diamond flush I'd check it down to the end and fold to a bet but my view is that your against an over pair or a pair of 9's with an Ace kicker and what your hoping for is a Q on the end which would win u the pot but would I call a bet on the end even after a queen, no. So after all's said and done Im with the others, check and fold to a bet.

Dawdy