PDA

View Full Version : The value of reads and notes

Spicymoose
01-07-2005, 08:15 PM
I was curious what you guys thought the value of player notes and reads is. Obviously no one knows the true answers, but please just make an guess or estimation.

J.R.
01-07-2005, 08:18 PM
I know what you are tryign to get but I don't think "reads" is the word you want to use, as making reads is what you do when you play poker beyond level I.

Spicymoose
01-07-2005, 08:29 PM
Sorry, what I meant was anything besides in hand reads; acting as if each hand is your first hand at the table. For example, if you are 8-tabling, it may be hard to keep track of who your opponents are, and what their style of play is.

captZEEbo1
01-07-2005, 08:45 PM
this survey seems goofy....I mean a decent win rate at 2/4 is a LOT different than a decent win rate at 15/30.

Evan
01-07-2005, 08:49 PM
FWIW, the first 40k or so hands I played were almost entirely without any notes and i rarely watched the table when I wasn't in a hand so I guess you could say my reads were slim to none as well. My win rate over that time was >2 bb/100 (this was Party 3/6).

I think that a decent player can make a lot of money in games up to that level without reads and by playing straightforward poker. I'm playing 5/10 6 max now and I've found reads gain a lot of importance in that game. That may be because I am not yet good enough to play without reads without significantly hurting my earn or it may be that they are actually important. From talking to other guys that played the same game I've heard my feelings echoed so I think that notes do become increasingly important.

edtost
01-07-2005, 08:53 PM
the type of notes you take is also important - typing in what type of hands a player tend to have when he check-raises the turn is much more valueable than knowing his aggression factor.

Evan
01-07-2005, 08:55 PM
Yea, for the batch of hands described I had neither so I didn't get any more specific. But i completely agree with you.