PDA

View Full Version : overplay of AKs?

IvyGrizzly
01-07-2005, 07:54 PM
*First hand of a pacific 10-man 10+1 SnG, blinds 10/20, I'm on the button*

3rd to act puts in a raise of 44, making it 66 to call. The table folds to me, and I reraise to 120 with AKs (on average in an SnG I'm putting the guy about 20% on pair that has me dominated, 30% a weaker ace or a shared AK, and the rest a pair 10-QQ.) The BB calls, and the original raiser goes all-in. The BB called without much hesitation, and I get the feeling he's going to be going all-in, so I'm getting 2 to 1 on my money right now. Sharing scares me a little bit.

Should I have folded this with the shows of strength and waited for a better time later in the tourney? Not reraising to see a flop seems like a bad play.

syka16
01-07-2005, 08:02 PM
fold

Marcotte
01-07-2005, 08:14 PM
Meh. Call. At $10 they range of hands you'll get shown by the first all-in is pretty wide. BB is a concern. Wouldn't call with os, but it's sooooooted. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

gorgeous
01-07-2005, 09:18 PM
An easy fold.

stillnotking
01-07-2005, 09:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
*First hand of a pacific 10-man 10+1 SnG, blinds 10/20, I'm on the button*

3rd to act puts in a raise of 44, making it 66 to call. The table folds to me, and I reraise to 120 with AKs (on average in an SnG I'm putting the guy about 20% on pair that has me dominated, 30% a weaker ace or a shared AK, and the rest a pair 10-QQ.) The BB calls, and the original raiser goes all-in. The BB called without much hesitation, and I get the feeling he's going to be going all-in, so I'm getting 2 to 1 on my money right now. Sharing scares me a little bit.

Should I have folded this with the shows of strength and waited for a better time later in the tourney? Not reraising to see a flop seems like a bad play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. You sure give those $10 players a lot of credit. To fold AKs in this spot I would have to be pretty sure that one of the two players had AA or KK, and unless I had played with them before, I wouldn't be that sure. I would call. When chumps are going all-in early, and I have a monster hand, I feel free to gamble with them -- someone will get their chips, why not me? I have many times tripled up in Level I. If they snap me off or show me a bigger hand, so be it. I'd rather finish 10th than 4th. Nice hand. Next!

IvyGrizzly
01-07-2005, 11:21 PM
So far the advice is 50/50 fold/call /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Pepsquad
01-08-2005, 02:52 AM
Are you making money long-term playing SNG's?

If yes, Fold.

If no, Call.

rybones
01-08-2005, 09:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

If yes, Fold.

If no, Call.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really great advice. Concise and right on!!!!!!

Vetstadium
01-08-2005, 10:41 AM
As much as I hate to to this two all ins and I think I am at least facing one high pair I fold here. Even at the $22 tables lot of times see my hand would have hit but lunatics go all in with even sixes here.

two_dogs
01-08-2005, 11:54 AM
Ok here is my two cents worth and that is about what it is worth. I think if you are trying to find the "correct" action regardless of the buy-in it would be to fold. If raiser and BB both have underpairs your a 39 to 71% dog.
But if I were in a ring game I would lose $10 and not feel like I made a mistake losing it.

peace

daboze
01-08-2005, 01:44 PM
This is one I struggle with as well. It can be hard to lay down AKs in the lower buy-ins because the re-raise can often be hands you have dominated.

But personally I came to the conclusion that it's not worth the risk this early. I feel that my late game is good enough that I would prefer to rely on it rather than take a coinflip for all my chips.

lacky
01-08-2005, 01:53 PM
first hand I guess I'd go all in. I either triple up and control the table for the rest of the tourney, or I start another with under 2 minutes invested in this one.

IvyGrizzly
01-08-2005, 04:30 PM
Well if you look at my own odds I've given the player UTG a 70% chance of being in a coinflip or dominating position on me. It might be a little lower if you add KQ to his possible hands.

The player in the SB obviously has something, probably a medium pair, but just as likely I'm sharing something in a three way all-in. That makes my odds even worse. I'm getting 2 to 1 on my money and from my guesses I'll lose far more often than that in this situation. I'm covered by both players so that's unfavorable. It's early in the tournament, I've only committed ~1/6 of my stack, blinds are at their minimum, I can afford to take the hit and use my (generally) better play to succeed. The correct option is to fold.

In this instance I wasn't a mature enough player. I gambled and went all-in, as expected the BB followed, and UTG turned over KK, catching a third king on the flop. I think my biggest weaknesses in NL hold em' right now are playing medium pairs and extracting myself from these situations before they cripple my stack. My ability to sense the right moment needs work, but it's improving.

threeonefour
01-08-2005, 04:38 PM
you mean 39 to 71 favorite... the individual is getting more than his/her fair share of the pot then

MisterJed
01-08-2005, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

If yes, Fold.

If no, Call.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty good advice. If you usually cash in your tourneys anyway (or often enough), no reason to risk your tourney life right here.

C M Burns
01-08-2005, 07:34 PM
if you assume (prob corectly) that the bb will call, you would be getting better than 2-1 odds (given the $ you already bet) so call/fold become mainly a math ev question. to break even you need to be about 32% to win on average. against 2 under pairs like qq 99 you are about 38%, ax qq 35%, kk Ax 20% kk jj 29% ax ax 55%, and AA v low, on average you are probably less than 32% so a fold is probably correct, but given the odds a call is not that terrible, and as some one said if you loose money in genral probably worth the risk.