PDA

View Full Version : "This is Sportscenter.."

Eurotrash
01-07-2005, 07:09 PM
Ok, so the Trey Wingo thread is kind of turning into a general "what you like about ESPN" thread, but I think these ads deserve their own thread. I think they've gone a bit downhill recently, but it's still one of the greatest ad campaigns. What are you favorites?

One of mine is Roger Clemens at the copier printing out "K.. K... K...." Jack Edwards walks up, Roger tells him - "I'm going to be here a while."

Shajen
01-07-2005, 07:10 PM
STEINA, come on out and get your whoopin.

The best EVAR.

Or the other Steiner one, Follow me, Follow me to FREEDOM!

Stork
01-07-2005, 07:11 PM
I agree, sportscenter knows how to do commercials right. My favorite ones are the 2 with Andy Roddick, aka "A-Rod /images/graemlins/cool.gif"

MEbenhoe
01-07-2005, 07:12 PM
One Word:

JENGA!!!

AngryCola
01-07-2005, 07:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Or the other Steiner one, Follow me, Follow me to FREEDOM!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I loved that bit.

To the OP:
Yeah, they have definitely gone downhill in the last couple of years. Rich Eisen leaving hurt their commercials a bit. He always did a great job with them.

Still, their quality is above the average commercials.

Sponger15SB
01-07-2005, 07:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
STEINA, come on out and get your whoopin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bob Ley (maybe): Steiner says you're maybe the 50th best heavyweight
Holyfield: In the world?
Bob: In georgia

All of the Steiner ones are hilarious, I think his best one is the one where every is trying to box Steiner around the office, and the "Melrose Place trade" is pretty good as well.

My favorite one is probably when Ley and Olberman are interviewing Bill Bradley for a job...
(middle, third from top)

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/thisissportscenter/archive

Shajen
01-07-2005, 07:21 PM
Steiner as a pool boy was a bit too much.

I'm still going to therapy over that one.

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

billyjex
01-07-2005, 09:27 PM
A new ad campaign they have out now for the Winter X Games is hilarious. It's the ones where they put the "extreme" athletes in a trailer and scare them somehow. My description sucks but they're funny.

ClaytonN
01-07-2005, 10:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, so the Trey Wingo thread is kind of turning into a general "what you like about ESPN" thread, but I think these ads deserve their own thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking of Trey Wingo:

Jerry Stackhouse: "Hahahaha.... hehehehehe.... pfffftt HAAAAAHAHAHA....

Seriously man, what's your real name???"

Trey Wingo: "It's Trey Wingo"

Jerry Stackhouse: "Haaaa hahahaha pffft hehehehehe... Trey Wingo... hahahaha"

CrazyEyez
01-07-2005, 10:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One Word:

JENGA!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Was this the one where Kenny Mayne is testing out home run calls in front of the video player?
"I am king of this domain for as far as the ball shall travel! No, that sucked."
Or something like that.

My favorite is one of the first ones I remember. They're in a meeting and they call in Clemens. I don't know if it was Olberman, but something like:

"Hey Roger, Olberman doesn't think you can still bring heat."
Clemens promptly picks up Olberman and throws him out the window.
"Thanks Roger. Told ya."

MEbenhoe
01-07-2005, 11:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One Word:

JENGA!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Was this the one where Kenny Mayne is testing out home run calls in front of the video player?
"I am king of this domain for as far as the ball shall travel! No, that sucked."
Or something like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

No its the one where he's playing a game of Jenga and upon winning goes into a hilariously long celebration in which he is shouting JENGA!!! the whole time. However in the home run one he does yell out Yahtzee!!

J.R.
01-07-2005, 11:56 PM
The fact that he's playing john Randle and randle is wearing his game day face paint adds abit more context. Once Randle knocks over the stack Mayne yells out "Jenga!, Jenga!" and then pushes Randle's and stands yelling "Jenga!". Randle isn't happy.

There's Evander holyfield spot where he is told:

"He said you're the 50th best boxer."
Evander: "In the world?"
"In Georgia"
EWvander: "come on' out Charlie....come'on out and get your whoopin'"

Evander proceeds to slam the door into the GT mascot going after charlie and it lets out a pitiful squeak as it collpases.

this one's pretty sweet too (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/thisissportscenter/archive#)

a bunch of them (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/thisissportscenter/archive#)

wonderwes
01-08-2005, 03:15 PM
Keith Olberman and Dan Patrick were by far the funniest Sportscenter team.

Also the Charlie Stiener bloopers clip never gets olds.