PDA

View Full Version : Suited connectors vs offsuit broadways

twang
01-07-2005, 06:42 PM
I ran some sims in Pokerstove and was a bit surprised by the results. Basically I put a suited connector hand of any size against a range of offsuit broadways, Ax and Kx (in other words, hands that people love to play in small stakes games).

The simulations showed that suited connectors has a significant equity edge over the other hands. Could someone explain to me why?

/twang

Chris Daddy Cool
01-07-2005, 07:05 PM
it really depends. but as sshe says, in multiway pots the important factors of your hand are

1. high card value
2. suitedness
3. connectiveness

the more multiway the hand gets the less edge high card value has, while suitedness's importance goes up.

also broadway cards usually shares outs with other hands like KJ and KT and Ax and Ay or whatever, while a hand like 98s or 87s will usually have relatively clean pair outs.

other reasons too but yea pretty much the jist of it.

twang
01-07-2005, 07:45 PM
Thanks for replying.

My guess was that the broadways was dominating each other, giving each hand less value. (Which basically is about cleaner outs, like you mentioned.)

MrJitney
01-07-2005, 09:24 PM
The big advantages mid-suited-connectors have over offsuit broadway are
1) their suitedness
2) they make more straights

These two characteristics make them much better in multiway pots, which if I'm thinking about this right, is where most of your equity is.