PDA

View Full Version : How else to play JJ here

KHarris9
01-07-2005, 05:09 PM
I'm pretty sure I played this correctly, but want other input. $4-$8 game at brick and mortar cardroom. I'm playing tight and aggressively, winning almost every showdown that I'm in, and have respect from most players who have been sitting with me for most of the session. I get into a hand with Player X, a hotshot who likes to talk a lot especially about how good he is...he plays a ton of hands, plays them super-aggressively, likes to show and talk about it when he steals a pot with the worst of it, and whines when he loses a hand (especially when someone with an obvious flush beats his meager two-pair). Also notorious for calling out for a third 10 or a diamond, when neither of these improve his hand but he wants the table to think it does.

Anyway, I have JJ, one player limps from middle position, and I raise from two off the button. Cutoff folds, Player X, who is on the button, comments "You must have a pocket pair, I just want to know if its bigger than mine" and he reraises. Blinds and limper fold, and I cap the betting. He calls immediately. Flop is 2-8-10 rainbow. I bet, he raises, I reraise, he just calls. Turn is 10. I bet, he calls. River is 8. I bet, he raises, I reluctantly call. He shows 8-7 offsuit for the boat.

I'm not sure how else I could have played it...maybe try to show more strength on the turn with a check-raise? Just check-call it down fearing that he hit a set? My read on him throughout the hand was that he either was weak and on a total bluff or trying to bully me with an AK or AQ unimproved, just because he saw that I was playing pretty tight.

Any comments?

PotatoStew
01-07-2005, 05:22 PM
With the size of the pot by the turn, he's probably not folding to one more bet if you checkraise him, which means he still sees the river, and he's obviously not folding there. You did all you could to make him pay for his draw... I'm not sure what you could have done differently.

ggbman
01-07-2005, 05:38 PM
Next time don't get rivered! Seriously, dont see what you can do here, i might check the river though when the board double pairs. Hard to put him on 87 though.

k_squared
01-07-2005, 05:42 PM
tough luck... I like the line you took. I think a check-raise would have been a bad idea because your JJ is pretty vulnerable. A, K, or Q comes now you are worried!

-K_squared