PDA

View Full Version : What hurts your game? (long)

pgec311
01-07-2005, 04:38 PM
I have really been trying to get better at analyzing my play, especially tournamet play, after a session. I have found that when my game seems way off, it is because I have gone so long without analyzing my play and have allowed multiple leaks and weaknesses in. So I thought by posting them I could accomplish several things: 1. I can be sure I am really understanding why I am doing something and how to fix it 2. Others may identify a similar weakness in their own game 3. I can get some feedback. In short, I have not been playing real well for about a month. Thankfully, I had a nice two days last week with a 2nd, 3rd, 5th to keep the bankroll alive, but otherwise I have been in a slump. So here goes.

1. Overplaying big suited connectors,
1a. Not paying enough attention to flop texture. These first two have to go together because one is usually a result of the other. I often find myself pushing these hands too hard, especially on a garbage flop, and as a result I am not looking at what my opponent may be playing. Last night I had a picture perfect hand where both of these occured. I am dealt AQd on the button. 15/30 blinds. Three limpers, and I make it 150 to go. Folded to the cutoff, who smooth calls. flop is ragish - Jc 4d 7c. CO checks and I lead out for 300. Smooth call. Right away I should know, its either a flush draw or a set. Turn is 9s. Here is my mistake, he checks and I bet 500 into a 1000 pot. Smooth call. River is the Ac. The worst possible card for me. He leads for 300. I feel a call is mandatory, correct me if I am wrong, and he turns up K4c. Now, of course my first instict is to bitch and moan about players calling raises out of postition with K4, but the more I thought about it the more I realized how poorly I played the hand. You can't control the cards other people play, you can only try to play your cards better. But blindly trying to bet someone out of a pot without considering their range of hands will leave you broke most of the time. Edit- This seems to happen online more than live, maybe the speed of the game affects me.

2. Not giving enough credit to a late position raiser when I am on a steal. I have run into this several times lately and once put me out of the tournament. Folded to me on the button with KT. I raise it 4xbb and it is folded to the bb who pops me back. I think he put me on a steal and so I call and see a flop of 9QK, giving me top pair and the straight draw. BB goes allin. The all in at the time confused me and I called to see the old Rockets shoved down my throat. After thinking about it, the BB obviously knew that the flop could have hit me any number of ways, and I should have put him on a big hand. Some form of this play has happened to me several times lately, and three of those times the BB showed AA. Just absolute stubborness on my part and a real flaw in my game.

3. Playing to passive after winning a big pot. I do this way to often, I win a couple of pots or a big pot and the next hand I will get an above average hand and play it to passively. And in accordance with Murphy's Law, anytime I play passively and the blinds see a free flop, they hit their 2 pair or weak flush and straight draws. I wish I could figure out my mentality here. I guess I worry that over aggression will lead to either no play on my good hands, or getting called down on my bluffs. Either way, it has got to go.

Well, I guess that is a good start. I hope some will respond with critisicms or tips, and others might want to do what I just did. I can say that just by writing these out I can see how fundamental some of these problems are, and also I can already see some ways to improve. Good Luck at the Tables.

PC

RobGW
01-07-2005, 04:55 PM
Nice post. I have problems with number 2 also. Whenver I have a decent hand and get raised or bet into, I have trouble laying it down. I think it comes from all the times I see these crazy maniacs showing down b.s. I see this happen once and it sticks in my mind for a long time. However, when they show down great hands I tend to say o.k. nice hand and then forget about it. Lately, whenever I get bet into big or raised big and call I am beat badly. I think having more respect for my opponents and taking more time to think things through instead of acting hastily would be a big help.

Rduke55
01-07-2005, 05:00 PM
Looking at that, those are three of my weaknesses too.
#2 has knocked me out of many tourneys and #3 I am very guilty of. Last night in a tourney I won two pots in a row (one legitimate, one with a semibluff) and the very next hand got AQo in middle position (folded to me) and I called, letting the BB in with a weak hand to beat me.

Potowame
01-07-2005, 05:43 PM
nice post:

#1 HOH section about betting before the flop and after has helped me in these situations alot. Read this Book.

I hardley ever bet out the pot anymore in heads up situations its either 1/2 or 2/3 of the pot. If they Call that and I have nothing, its 50/50 if I fire on the turn unimproved. The river is looks like he made his hand, 2 pair, flush ect. I don't see what he is calling the flop bet with here that you beat, nor did you.

2. Its best to lay these down preflop the first time poped back at. Keeps you from making tough, and wrong calls post flop. I see more and more players Pushing sets or Big over pairs in this situation. Its those times you say to yourself I am such a fish for calling I knew I was toast /images/graemlins/smirk.gif, been there. Avoid as much as Possible, 80%-85% of the time when all signs point to that you are beat, thank them for letting you of the hook so easy and move on to the next hand.

3. I find myself doing this some to Thanks for pointing it out. I think I do this because I don't want look to laggy. But I think Soss said once your cards determine your table image. So I guess good advice on this would be Look like a LAG you got the Goods to back it up, and look like a Rock with 74os hands.

My Biggest problem I have is Very late in trnys with Blinds that are very high for everyone. 1500/3000 average stack around 40000. I play to aggreasive where a mini raise would or 2.5Xbb would accomplish a steal just as easy as a All-in., I keep getting woke up on by a monster or very good to eliminate me.
Last nights exit after fighting my way through 1700+ to go out 71.

Hero Mp3 A10s 29,000 45/71 Blinds 1500/3000 ante 150?

Everyone left to act had close to my stack.

I push Button wakes up with AQs and I am out. I felt pretty stupid at that point.

I am still trying to get the leaks out of my game at these high blind levels. Pushing Hands like A10 is one of them.

ericlambi
01-07-2005, 06:15 PM
I have gone out of tournaments by picking very bad times to attempt a semi-steal once the blinds get large. It usually goes something like this:

UTG+2 bets 3BB. All fold to hero who goes All-In with AQ. UTG+2 shows QQ.

You don't even have to tell me how stupid this type of move is. Even if it does work with relative frequency, it only has to not work once per tournament for you to be screwed.

As a related question, what are people doing with AJs, AQ (suited or not), type of hands from late position with an early raiser (2-4BB)? I've started folding. Is this correct? I can see an argument for calling too.

Lurshy
01-07-2005, 08:30 PM
A few other items that ruin my game:

1- When I'm not focused, or tired, or bored, I get too loose , and press marignal hands (2nd pair etc.). In ring games it costs me money, in touney's it costs me the tourney life. This mostly happens in lower buy-in tourney's, I stay more focused in the high buy-ins, but its a big leak none-the-less.

2- Not laying down when you know your beat, the little voice in my head knows you should fold, the other voice says hey he could be bluffing. Then the third voice says but I have pot odds. Dam all the voices, maybe I'm just schizophrenic, but thats another post... So what if there are 2 callers and the Q high board with two spades just paired with the Q of spades on the river, my AA must still be good!

3- Taking my Blind hands too far. You see a flop cheap with cards that can make a 2nd best, you hit, but guess what, they made a 2nd best. e.g. K7os, and you hit the K...

pgec311
01-08-2005, 03:14 AM
So, I think I came out of the slump tonight. I just took 1st in one of those headhunter tourneys on JSP and took 5th in the Interpoker $3ooo GTD, at the same time. Both started at 9, and ended about 20 minutes apart. I also figured out that listening to a walkman when I play really helps me focus online. Anyway, I liked the responses from the first post, others seem to have similar problems, which helped me out, because when you are in the slump you feel like you keep looking around the table and cant spot the sucker, because..... /images/graemlins/shocked.gif