PDA

View Full Version : Big stack strategy

dinero2433
01-07-2005, 04:02 PM
I was hoping to start a discussion on how to play a big stack at a single table tournament - what are some folks' general strategies in the early, middle, and late stages of the tournament when you have a sizable chip lead (you control 30-50% of the table's resources)?

I ask this because it seems big stack strategy in a single table tourney would differ from a multitable tournament. It appears to be a sound strategy to be very aggressive with a big stack in a multitable tournament (like Greg Raymer in the 2004 WSOP). But in a single table tournament, if one coin flip decision goes against you you're right back in the middle of the pack.

What do you think? Should you try and "do your job" as the big stack and bust players out of the tournament with marginal hands, or do you throttle back and only play big pairs and premium hands against a short stack all in? Thanks in advance for your thoughts on the matter...

Big Limpin'
01-07-2005, 04:29 PM
Its is NOT, repeat NOT, your "job" to give out lots of action just cause you are bigstack.

Early: Go make a sandwich. Come back in 10 minutes. Im being facecious, of course, but if i double early, i am even tighter than usual for the early levels.

Mid: Be the bully. And i dont necessarily mean preflop raising all the time, but be willing to pick up pots on the turn when opponents "run out of gas". Marginal hands wont be calling you. You should give your full attention to stack sizes of opponents...who is in last...who has enough to probably hang on for 3rd...etc etc etc. Some will turn to rocks, others will push dubious situations. But few players can change gears once in the bubble. If he was tight last hand, he is still tight. So if he bets, he has a better hand than you. WHen he is checking....you can pick up the pot wihth a min-bet.

Late: Once you are ITM, having a big stack just gives you a better probability of taking the top prize. I woulnt adjust play, just be happy you have more checks then the others. You can lose an all-in and still play more hands.

Hope that helps. Now re-read the first sentence.