PDA

View Full Version : Looking to upgrade my computer so I can run 2 sites at once?

Vetstadium
01-07-2005, 02:44 PM
I am not a computer whiz but here is my question. I have Hewlett Packard about five years old with a Pentium 3 Processor with 127 MBRam. I am running Windows ME on it and it is 32 bit whatever that means. My free disk space is 32,000 MB and it says I have 57% available space. I want to be able to run two sites together so I can 8 table. My computer frequently has problems running 4 tables on Party. It does work but I have to sign off during and restart so they can stay up. It can no way handle two sites at this point. I am looking to buy a computer if possible for $1,000 or under and was wondering what type of hardware you have if anyone here 8 tables on two sites. I could ask someone at computer store but they may not know if it can run two poker sites. Any feedback appreciated thanks.

rjb03
01-07-2005, 02:49 PM
Have you tried adding more RAM if your motherboard allows it?

KingOtter
01-07-2005, 02:55 PM
If you have $1000 to spend you can easily find something suitable to your needs. In fact, I would expect that any base system out there selling between 600-800 will be able to do exactly what you want.

I run two sites, but not 4-tables at each site. Usually I have a Pacific up, and a couple ring games at Paradise (although lately it has been SnG's, heh). It doesn't tax my system at all, and I have an AMD 2700+ processor with about 768MB of RAM.

128MB of RAM is a bit small, but I have noticed some CPU usage during the graphics on poker tables, so the CPU might stand an upgrade, too.

Memory will probably be pretty cheap for your computer if you want to try that before purchasing a new one... but any computer on the market in the $600-800 range will more than do what you need. Just make sure you look for 256 or 512MB of RAM. Hard drive space isn't going to be an issue.

KO

DavSimon
01-07-2005, 03:11 PM
Look at that, my first post is regarding a computer question. Your issue is likely not the 128 ram...more likely Window ME. It is not suitable for multiprocessing (which is what you are asking it to do) Upgrade your ram to the max allowable (probably 512mb) and an upgrade to Windows XP Home, will get you another year or two (of poker playing) out of this computer.
If you are ready for a new computer (it sounds as though you are) Any AMD Athlon or P4 based PC in the $400-$800 range w/out monitor will serve you well. The only consideration is if you plan on using dual monitors to multi-table you should upgrade (or have the store upgrade) the video card to a dual output model. Anyway - good luck.

IvyGrizzly
01-07-2005, 05:16 PM
If you're looking to buy a computer for less than a thousand to play several tables with things like pokertracker open and don't care about playing video games or stuff like that just get as much RAM and processing power as you can and a nice monitor.

You could also build your own computer, which a monkey can do using a guide, and get something far more tailored to what you want for a lot less (with a little research on hardware websites).

Vetstadium
01-07-2005, 05:23 PM
So If I just upgrade my Ram to say double or triple what I have that should do the trick? I don't play video games on the computer just run a spreadsheet with the poker.

IvyGrizzly
01-07-2005, 08:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So If I just upgrade my Ram to say double or triple what I have that should do the trick? I don't play video games on the computer just run a spreadsheet with the poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

It probably would. How fast is your processor?

Vetstadium
01-07-2005, 08:44 PM
Not sure how to find that out. Where do I look thanks.

rjb03
01-07-2005, 09:18 PM
Go to your control panel and click the System icon. On the first tab which you should already be in it should list your processor and speed. I'd imagine it's around 500mhz.

Vetstadium
01-07-2005, 11:40 PM
It doesn't list my MHZ?

KenProspero
01-08-2005, 12:23 AM
At the risk of asking a dumb question

What are you using for internet access? Do you have cable, dsl, etc. This may be your problem.

If you need a good computer check Dell or Compaq/HP websites. You should be able to find something taht meets your needs in the $700 range easily. I'd get at least 512k or ram, and would lean towards 1 gig.

If your choice is between a faster processor or more ram. Go with the ram.

Vetstadium
01-08-2005, 10:28 AM
Yes I have cable only way to go and thanks for all the repsonses so far.

Evolution Crisis
01-09-2005, 02:07 PM
Go to start in the toolbar, then run, then type in "dxdiag" (without the quotes) and click the run or ok button... that should give you all the stats you need on your computer.

Vetstadium
01-12-2005, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the last post I found out what my system has. It is an INtel Pentium III 1000 MHZ with 126 MB Ram. Was wondering how I can find out how much Ram I can add. I am going to contact Hewlett Packard and go from there.

networkman
01-12-2005, 03:16 PM
you're cpu is easily good enuff. Add as much RAM as you can and upgrade to XP like that other geezer said...

e_fermat
01-12-2005, 03:43 PM
No need to call HP. A 1000Mhz machine (1 Ghz) can easily hold up to 512megs and probably 1gig. Just take it into a local computer store and say you want 512 megs of ram installed. Should be $75, maybe $100 tops.

Like the others have said, this machine with the added ram should be fine. You will definitely need a second monitor if you want no overlap...you may need a new video card that supports two monitors. Most ATI cards for $100 will do the job. $200 or less for a CRT (regular clunky) hi-resolution monitor...triple that for an LCD panel at hi-resolution. Again, your local shop should be able to do all this for you in a matter of minutes.

Vetstadium
01-12-2005, 03:53 PM
Thanks think my friend can help me so prob cheaper to buy Ram on line somewhere. Anybody know of cheap sites? thanks.

swede123
01-12-2005, 04:52 PM
Go to pricewatch (http://www.pricewatch.com) they have listings of every single components you might need, including RAM.

Cheers,

Swede

Meech
01-12-2005, 04:56 PM
Beware of cheap RAM.

Checkout Crucial (Micron) Memory (http://www.crucial.com)

I've had great luck with this company. They stand by their product, and if anything goes bad you can get a new stick crosshipped.

e_fermat
01-12-2005, 06:04 PM
Be careful...with slightly older machines, there may be some issues with incompatibility with some types of ram. If you take it to a shop, likely charge you $25 or so for the work but you'll be out of there in a few minutes. If you order online and then find out it's the wrong pin type or isn't compatible with your machine, it will take a lot longer to sort out. Just my thoughts. If anything, have your friend take a look at your machine/tech manual first before you order.

networkman
01-13-2005, 06:38 AM
I also give a big "thumbs up" to www.crucial.com (http://www.crucial.com) for memory.

Have used them dozens of times with no problems whatsoever.

billyb
01-13-2005, 04:35 PM
first upgrade the ram.
2nd dump windows ME it is a POS.
get xp and you will be happy.

peace
billyb

Vetstadium
01-18-2005, 06:04 PM
I just upgraded my Ram today it is now 386 I tripled it still can't run two sites Damn now what maybe get rid of windows me?