PDA

View Full Version : JJ advice against a LA/A player...

Obliky
01-07-2005, 01:21 PM
Hi,

Ive just finished playing a session of .10/.25 NLH and managed to turn a small profit..however the whole session i had a very LA/A player to my left who just kept taking pots off me /images/graemlins/frown.gif

The hand that i would like some advice on i received JJ in the BB; the hand is shown below:

Hold'em No Limit ($0.10/$0.25)
Seat #1 is the button

SB: posts small blind $0.10
Hero: posts big blind $0.25

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [J /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif]
Villian: calls $0.25
Seat 5: folds
Seat 6: folds
Seat 7: folds
Seat 8: folds
Seat 9: folds
SB: calls $0.15
Hero: raises $0.75 to $1
Villian: calls $0.75
SB: folds

The thing i was thinking about at this point is that i had seen Villian call raises lots of times with A6o etc..and so immediately put him on some kind of Ace.

*** FLOP *** [A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/club.gif]
Hero: bets $0.50
Villian: calls $0.50

*** TURN *** [A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/club.gif] [2 /images/graemlins/club.gif]
Hero: checks
Villian: bets $0.75
Hero: folds

Villian collected $3.10 from pot
Villian: doesn't show hand

I personally put Villian on an Ace with some other (probably low) card, which would explain why he didnt raise me on the flop..therefore should i have bet again on the turn hoping he would put me on an Ace with a higher kicker than him? Thoughts on this hand would be much appreciated as i keep getting into situations like this with pocket pairs...

Thanks

Obliky

amoeba
01-07-2005, 01:31 PM
why the .50 raise on the flop?

he is not going to fold for .50.

Is he good enough to give you credit for a better kicker?

if so, bet 2/3 pot to pot on flop, and bet out again on the turn.

Chipp Leider
01-07-2005, 01:42 PM
The $.50 raise on the flop is horrible. You're giving your money, and the pot away.

I probably pot it and fold to a re-raise. JMHO

shadyfin
01-07-2005, 01:49 PM
First of all, table selection is a very important part of the game - if you find yourself in front of an aggressive player that is giving you trouble, the recipe is simple - change seats or move to another table. If your playing on the Net this is so easy to do and you should never be "stuck" at a table or with a player that is giving you trouble.

Anyway, the Villian here had position and from your comment has been taking a lot of pots from you - he may have called your raise with just about anything, knowing that if you didn't hit your hand he could steal the pot. Your small bet on the flop and check on the turn pretty much tells him, "Please take this pot from me".

He very well may have had you beat with a weak A, but since he just called your small flop bet instead of raising it (you did say he was aggressive), then he may only have QT, KT or something similar.

I would have bet the pot or close to it on the flop.

Obliky
01-07-2005, 01:52 PM
I see your point..the .50 on the flop was weak, i think this is a problem in my game when i have a PP like JJ and an A or K falls... i kinda assume that my opponent has an Ace cause i know that players at .10/.25 are very likely to call you pre-flop with any Ace.

amoeba
01-07-2005, 01:55 PM
if you think opponent has a weak ace, then just ask yourself is he good enough to laydown his weak kicker?

if the answer is yes, bet.

if the answer is no, check-fold.

Obliky
01-07-2005, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Say that i had bet about the pot on the flop and he had called, i would then put him on an ace so should i check/fold on the turn?

amoeba
01-07-2005, 02:40 PM
Think about whether he would fold to another bet on the turn. Then it becomes very player dependent.

shadyfin
01-07-2005, 03:18 PM
amoeba is exactly right in that it is very player dependent. However, a lot of loose players are calling stations so you want to have the goods when up against them as most won't laydown top-pair even if their kicker is weak.

In Summary:
You were dealt a premium hand, got an unfavorable flop, took a stab and was called, so check and fold (if he bets a sizable amount) and move on. Only exception would be a STRONG belief that I could get them to lay it down. For that you would need to have observed a history of calling pots sized bets on the flop and folding to bets on the turn.