PDA

View Full Version : 22-99 in ep/mp

DRKEVDC
01-07-2005, 12:48 PM
I play $25 NL at Party and am trying to tighten up some holes in my game. In the past I would limp with 22-99 in early or middle position, if someone made a big raise behind me I would fold. Due to the maniacal tendencies on these tables, lately I have taken to playing these hands only from late position.

If I am on a table full of limpers I will start to play these hands again from early/mid position.

Is this correct, could I do it different?

amoeba
01-07-2005, 01:00 PM
why do you always fold to a raise?

how do you determine whether you should call the raise preflop or not?

DRKEVDC
01-07-2005, 01:58 PM
Example would be I have 66 in ep. CO raises it to $3 w 2 callers. Would you see the flop for that or fold it? I typically would call a small raise (1-1.5), but fold anything bigger. This is why I stopped playing them from these positions as it seemed every hand was getting raised with multiple callers. Am I wrong to fold all the time?

Chipp Leider
01-07-2005, 02:15 PM
I don't think you should always be limping in EP with baby pairs unless the table is extremely passive, and even then perhaps not as that will therefore hinder your implied odds. The stacks are just too shallow.

amoeba
01-07-2005, 02:19 PM
the key is what is your stack size. specifically a good rule of thumb is the 5/10 rule. always call if less than 5% of his or your stack whichever is less. don't call if more than 10% of his or your stack. Evaluate opponent, position, table texture when between 5 and 10.

I actually sometimes prefer mid pp from early position rather than late as I am only playing them for a set and if I hit and they make their TPTK, its much easier for me to make money off them when I am first to act.

schwza
01-07-2005, 03:23 PM
i only play 6-max, so i'm a bit out of my element, but you should be playing 99 differently from 22. 99 has better straight possibilities (and flush), chance to be an overpair on the flop, better showdown value on the end, and has a better chance on being on the good end of a set-over-set.

in a passive game where players go way too far with 1 pair, it's fine to limp 22 utg. but if it's likely that you'll have to call a raise and/or you won't get paid off well, muck the low ones in EP. i would say 88 is pretty much always worth at least a limp though, and maybe 77 as well.