PDA

View Full Version : Morality Question

fnord_too
01-07-2005, 11:50 AM
Situation: There is a person you find sexually attractive who has a boyfriend/girlfriend who is currently living far away.

Is it morally wrong to make advances on this person?

Edit The person's boyfriend/girlfriend is not a friend of yours.

lucas9000
01-07-2005, 11:53 AM
i like the poll and all, but imo morality isn't a "majority vote" kind of thing.

Shajen
01-07-2005, 11:55 AM
The way I see it, it only takes this happening to you one time for your vote to go from no to yes.

Getting cheated on sucks ass.

fnord_too
01-07-2005, 11:56 AM
Morality is subjective. The question is how many people in this forum define the action as moral or immoral.

fnord_too
01-07-2005, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The way I see it, it only takes this happening to you one time for your vote to go from no to yes.

Getting cheated on sucks ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

I certainly aggree with that, but is the person they cheated on you with at fault?

If your argument is "Sleeping with this person will cause someone else a lot pain, and I am morally opposed to causing avoidable pain," I think that is valid argument. I also think, however, that if someone would cheat in a monogamus relationship, there is a fundamental problem in the relationship.

jakethebake
01-07-2005, 12:03 PM
The boyfriend/girlfriend have an implicit or explicit social contract with each other not to cheat. Beeing that you are not a party to sdaid contract, you have no responsibility to help either party fulfill said contract. It IS immoral for either of them to break said contract. It is NOT immoral for you. If he were a friend of yours, then you would have an implicit social contract with him not to do so, which would make it wrong.

Shajen
01-07-2005, 12:05 PM
Yeah.

This is much more eloquent than what I posted.

This is what I meant.

lu_hawk
01-07-2005, 12:05 PM
Of course it's not immoral. That's life. Don't date loose women if you dont' want to get cheated on.

AncientPC
01-07-2005, 01:42 PM
I voted no, but if she cheats on her current bf she might cheat on you one day too.

IsaacW
01-07-2005, 09:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i like the poll and all, but imo morality isn't a "majority vote" kind of thing.

[/ QUOTE ]
It is in America... BA-ZING!

Zoltri
01-07-2005, 09:43 PM
http://www.madjacksports.com/forum/images/smilies/hitit.gif

jakethebake
01-07-2005, 09:45 PM
funny how Hack hasn't posted on this in awhile.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
01-07-2005, 09:48 PM
In this day and age, this is the standard play. The game has changed over the years.

[censored]
01-07-2005, 09:54 PM
I voted no. My answer would most likely change if they are married and my answer would absolutely change if they were married with children.

jakethebake
01-07-2005, 09:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I voted no. My answer would most likely change if they are married and my answer would absolutely change if they were married with children.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it might for a lot of people. But neither of those would impact my arguement as it stands above.

chabibi
01-07-2005, 10:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
funny how Hack hasn't posted on this in awhile.

[/ QUOTE ] He ruined my thread, I didnt want to discuss the morality I wanted to discuss simple strategy

Hack
01-08-2005, 08:37 AM
This is bs. you guys obviously pm'ed a lot of people and tipped the voting, but even if you didn't, it doesn't say anything.

Like I said, most people on here are single, teenage boys, or in their early 20s, so the sample is not going to be representative of the population at large.

gamblore99
01-08-2005, 01:22 PM
I don't think its immoral. Though I don't think I'd do it

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't change the morallity of the situation, it would just make you feel much worse.

jakethebake
01-08-2005, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is bs. you guys obviously pm'ed a lot of people and tipped the voting, but even if you didn't, it doesn't say anything.

Like I said, most people on here are single, teenage boys, or in their early 20s, so the sample is not going to be representative of the population at large.

[/ QUOTE ]
I love how it only meant something when it confirmed his own view. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Inthacup
01-08-2005, 02:07 PM
You need to make the situation more specific. Are the advances purely sexual? Do you have any interest in having a relationship with her? Will she make you breakfast tomorrow morning?