PDA

View Full Version : Two short stacks...

hansarnic
01-07-2005, 11:18 AM
Assume stack sizes of approx. 6k (you, button), sb & bb 2k each

Blinds 300/600

Assume typical opponents but you with a slightly over-aggro image.

What range of hands will you push with?

Why?

In general how do your push / call standards change when there are two equal short stacks at this stage as opposed to three roughly equal stacks?

El Maximo
01-07-2005, 11:45 AM
From my experience and doing some hand analysis in poker tracker I find short-stacks to be the loosest at the low limit buy-ins. Followed closely by big stacks. The range of hands they will push with or call a push with varies with stack size, looseness-tightness, # of players left, and thier image of you. I usually put a small stack on this range of calling hands: Pairs, Any A,K or Q and Any 2 10+. I know the Push EV from the button against this small stack range of calling hands and make my adjustments accordingly. Its not an exact science but it gets me in the ballpark. Its worth it to invest time in Poker Stove and run some Push EV calcs from the SB and Button against different ranges of calling hands. In this scenario I would push with:

Auto-push 55+, A7s+, A9o, KQs-KJs, KQ
Possible-Push Pairs, Any A, K9s+, KT+, QJs

daboze
01-07-2005, 01:52 PM
In general I am more aggressive because I can stand to take a coin flip (or a 60-40) and lose... and they can't. The SB is not desperate, and would like to see the BB call and lose here so will not play a huge range of hands.

Generally I push with around the top 30%+ from the button. This means any pair, any A, K5s, Q9, etc...

In my opinion this still may be too tight, but I'm not comfortable pushing T9o from the button yet (though I would from the SB)

UMTerp
01-07-2005, 02:09 PM
I'm probably pushing about 75% of my hands here against typical opponents, maybe slightly more. I don't think it's terribly wrong to push with any two, unless one of the players in the blinds has the tendancy to call way too liberally. Obviously you need some folding equity to make the push with any two correct. It also matters to some degree how often you'd been stealing in the recent past. I think this situation is too player-dependent to answer with any kind of certainty. But basically, if you're only pushing premium-type hands here, you're playing too tight at the end of SNGs.