View Full Version : 2+2 coverage is sh1tty in the UK

partygirluk
01-07-2005, 10:19 AM
Many places are now selling poker books and have a wide selection, but not from 2+2. The only place I have found that stocks your books is Amazon, and it sometimes takes 2 weeks to receive the product.

e.g. www.gutshot.co.uk (http://www.gutshot.co.uk) do not sell any 2+2 books. It is also a B+M club that sells books, which is exciting, but it is disappointing that they do not sell the best books (2+2).

PE101
01-07-2005, 10:22 AM
Sounds like you've stumbled onto a business idea.

stigmata
01-07-2005, 12:55 PM
Bang on correct.

If any of the 2+2 personnel are reading this thread, have you thought about getting your bokes in stores over here?

The Poker market is really taking off - Poker chips were a common "novelty" christmas present this year. All the major booksellers have a range of Poker books on sale - All of which are complete and utter trash, with the excpetion of Super System perhaps.

There is a real market for 2+2 books.

JohnG
01-07-2005, 02:08 PM
High stakes in London sells them, both via their store and online. Usually next day delivery.

http://www.gamblingbooks.co.uk/

I just had a look at the site, and 4 2+2 books are in their poker top 10 sellers list, with Harrington on holdem number 1.

There are other places, but I can't remember them.

partygirluk
01-08-2005, 02:42 AM
That gamblingbooks.co.uk is really expensive.

The chess & bridge store also sell loads of poker books, but none from 2+2

daveymck
01-08-2005, 08:09 AM
www.thebigbookshop.co.uk (http://www.thebigbookshop.co.uk) did have a few 2+2 books (I got my HEPFAP from there).

Also with the exchange rate as it is my copy of Harrington on Holdem only is costing £23 ish so getting it direct might not be a bad idea.

Edit looking at the Highstakes site above its a skin of the big bookshop one I posted.

bromad1972
01-08-2005, 08:35 AM
well...why not start a fund and let us yanks ( septics? ) buy a big lot of them and ship them over to you all? I am sure that if a group of you were to pitch in , the price of the books plus shipping charges might save you money in the long run. It's just an idea.

adsman
01-08-2005, 09:15 AM
I live in Italy so I have to use amazon.co.uk to get my 2+2 books, but they usually get to me within 3 working days. Maybe you're using the normal amazon web site. Try the UK based one instead.

partygirluk
01-08-2005, 09:53 AM
Try seeing how long it takes their 7CS books to reach you.

Crix
01-08-2005, 10:11 AM
I've bought several from Waterstones in Manchester. Don't know about other locations, but you might try there.

ZeeBee
01-08-2005, 06:46 PM
High stakes is a lovely place - it's the UK equivalent of the Gambler's Book Club. Books of all sorts from Poker to Horses to probability & statistics. You can browse stuff to your hearts content, and if (like me) you buy the wrong book my mistake they'll take it back & swap etc.

ZB

roundhouse
01-08-2005, 08:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
High stakes in London sells them, both via their store and online. Usually next day delivery.

http://www.gamblingbooks.co.uk/

I just had a look at the site, and 4 2+2 books are in their poker top 10 sellers list, with Harrington on holdem number 1.

There are other places, but I can't remember them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second this recommendation. I bought SSHE from the High Stakes bookshop before it even appeared on the Amazon UK site (I'm pretty sure they were the first to stock it in the UK - they told me it sold like hot cakes). It's a tiny little shop but has a decent selection and is run by people who know something about poker/gambling. Service is quite personal; if they don't have something I suspect they could get it for you.

Of the main London high street booksellers, Foyle's (Charing Cross Rd) is the only one worth a second look. (Though it must be one of the worst laid out bookshops in the world. Don't bother trying to hunt the poker books yourself - just ask the staff as soon as you walk in.)

Cheers,
RH

helpmeout
01-09-2005, 01:11 AM
I live in Australia and it takes about a month for me to get my books (from amazon), so I just order them early.

If I only have 3-4 books left to read I order another load, sure it sucks but its not that bad, its not like I wont read them eventually.

I'm waiting for 8 books right now.

Sheriff Fatman
01-10-2005, 04:59 AM
I've had orders from 2+2/Conjelco arrive within as little as 4 days and, even with the postage added, its generally cheaper than buying from the UK. I'd strongly recommend buying from there, particularly as you can use Neteller to pay.

Amazon.co.uk is fine for the books it has available quickly but often they quote a wait of a couple of weeks. High Stakes Bookshop service is great but comes at a premium cost.

As for the high street bookshops I've long since given up hope. I did find my copy of HEP in Borders in Leeds but, other than that, its been pretty much impossible to find anything of value.

Sheriff

mc1
01-10-2005, 07:05 AM
I decided to order from gamblingbooks rather than twoplustwo. The $17.60 delivery to the UK seems absurd, meaning that it was cheaper to go to gamblingbooks.

Michael Davis
01-10-2005, 08:45 AM
You should really hope things stay the way they are.

-Michael

Radio
01-10-2005, 10:45 AM
I get 2+2 books from Amazon without any problems, so what if they take a week top get here!

partygirluk
01-10-2005, 11:54 AM
Waterstones in Watford do not sell 2+2 books.