PDA

View Full Version : AK v a TAG turn check-raise

ElSapo
01-07-2005, 09:22 AM
TAG raises UTG. I've been at the table for about six hands and have only seen him play one hand - KQo, and he played it right. So he may or may not be the taggiest of tags but he seems ok.

TAG raises, I three-bet A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifK /images/graemlins/club.gif

Two to the flop, x /images/graemlins/diamond.gifx /images/graemlins/diamond.gifx /images/graemlins/heart.gif

He checks, I bet and he calls.

I put him on overs, so I bet when the third smallish /images/graemlins/diamond.gif hits. He check-raises.

Plan?

chief444
01-07-2005, 09:35 AM
A 3-bet may fold out a hand that you don't mind staying in against you and you don't really want to have to call a cap here. So I just call. I do think it's close though since you could easily be against another AK with the K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif or even AQ with the Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. And an overpair may not cap anyway.

ElSapo
01-07-2005, 09:53 AM
Yeah, I wonder about two things:

Betting the turn;
calling a river-bet.

Since I have to call the check-raise, should I bet the turn? If I check the turn, do I call the river? As I called the turn check-raise (maybe he's not on overs), do I call a river? And if he checks to me, do I bet?

krishanleong
01-07-2005, 10:46 AM
You have to bet the turn. Give him a chance to fold AJ, AQ. Call the raise and fold the river unimproved. It's rare to see this line without a pair.

Krishan

ElSapo
01-07-2005, 10:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's rare to see this line without a pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, I think, but that's exactly what he had. It went check-check on the river and he had AQ (no diamond, oddly, so I kind of hate his play). I just wondered if moves like this were more common than I though.

chief444
01-07-2005, 11:22 AM
I bet the turn every time. You have no reason to think you're behind at that point and you picked up the nut flush draw, not to mention you may have 5 additional A or K outs. Actually, I would have considered 3-betting the turn. That's what I was thinking was close. I doubt if JJ or QQ caps, even with a diamond. Then you can take the free showdown unimproved. The check/raise certainly doesn't convince me I'm beat (although a cap certainly would). And you have a lot of outs if you are behind. But I do think betting and calling the check/raise was correct.

I think after you call the check/raise I would probably also call a river bet and hope to see AK or AQ with a K or Q of diamonds. (I definitely wouldn't expect to see AQ with no diamond, but I guess you never know). If they semibluffed the turn with that then I think they would also bet the river after you just call the turn more times than not.

Number4
01-07-2005, 11:26 AM
I like this line. I bet the turn here and call the check-raise. Hopefully you hit another diamond.