PDA

View Full Version : The funniest comedian ever

Skjonne
01-07-2005, 05:48 AM
Just read that a panel of comedians, writers, producers and directors from U.S. and U.K have voted for the funniest comedians of all times. Couldn't google it, but the list looks like this

1) Peter Cook
2) John Cleese
3) Woody Allen
4) Eric Morecambe
5) Groucho Marx
6) Tommy Cooper
7) Laurel & Hardy
8) Billy Connolly
9) Reeves & Mortimer
10) Richard Pryor

Wtf?

I don't even know this Cook guy (googled and realized he's from the 60's and 70's but anyway). I've never heard of Morecambe or Connolly either. My bad?

And this list without Rowan Atkinson and W.C. Fields? Wtf?

And Woody Allen? Is he a comedian? Yes, I know he is. But is he even a tiny bit funny? No he's absolutely not. Wtf?

Please discuss

AngryCola
01-07-2005, 05:51 AM
Yeah, I think this list is crap.

I can think of many people who deserve higher spots than those listed.

Reef
01-07-2005, 05:52 AM
how about that really really fat white guy who won that comedian reality show thing?

AngryCola
01-07-2005, 05:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
how about that really really fat white guy who won that comedian reality show thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dr. Quinn:

"No."

BusterStacks
01-07-2005, 05:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dr Quinn:

"No."

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome.

Reef
01-07-2005, 05:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dr Quinn:

"No."

[/ QUOTE ]

that was such an awesome series

AngryCola
01-07-2005, 06:01 AM
*thread hijack*

Captain Murphy's death (the actor) really hurt that show. It's just not the same without him.

Skjonne
01-07-2005, 06:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
*thread hijack*

[/ QUOTE ]

That was fast

[ QUOTE ]
Captain Murphy's death (the actor) really hurt that show. It's just not the same without him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Link?

Popinjay
01-07-2005, 06:05 AM
They left out Margaret Cho!!

AngryCola
01-07-2005, 06:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Link?

[/ QUOTE ]

To what?

If you have seen Sealab, Captain Murphy was obviously the best character on the show. The actor who played him (Harry Goz) died about.. hmm... I'd say about a year or two ago.

He was an older guy, but I can't remember the cause of death.

eric5148
01-07-2005, 06:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
They left out Margaret Cho!!

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO, and what about Janene Gerafalo?

Skjonne
01-07-2005, 06:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Link?

[/ QUOTE ]

To what?

[/ QUOTE ]

To whatever show you're talking about. I've never heard of it.

If you can't find it, just give me a link to some dancing boobies

nicky g
01-07-2005, 06:35 AM
This was done for a programme by the UK's Channel 4; I thought it was just UK comedians that voted. It's clearly UK-oriented. Even then I agree it's a bad list.

I think most people think of Rowan Atkinson as a comic actor rather than a comedian.

Duke
01-07-2005, 06:40 AM
They forgot me.

~D

Skjonne
01-07-2005, 06:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think most people think of Rowan Atkinson as a comic actor rather than a comedian.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the difference? (Not being sarcastic or anything. I don't know the difference)

Zoltri
01-07-2005, 07:32 AM
Peter who?
Here is my list.

1) John Belushi
2) Jim Carey
3) Richard Pryor
4) Eddie Murphy
5) Rodney Dangerfield
6) Chris Farley
7) Billy Crystal
8) Steve Martin
9) Jerry Seinfeld
10)Howie Mandel

AngryCola
01-07-2005, 07:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
10)Howie Mandel

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Bill Hicks definitely belongs there above Howie. Don't get me wrong, I loved Howie in Gremlins.

But I doubt he's anywhere near the top ten.

deacsoft
01-07-2005, 07:50 AM
Richard Pryor

No one's even close.

craig r
01-07-2005, 07:55 AM
Good list. I would probably drop Seinfeld (good writer, but not a great stand-up) and Mandel...and find a spot for Cosby and Freddy Prince (sp?? Prinze??)

craig

nicky g
01-07-2005, 07:56 AM
I would say a comedian does stand-up or sketches, which Atksinson hasn't done for a long time, although that could be said of some on teh list. But probably more importantly, it's a long time since Atkinson has done anything that he's written material for - Blackadder, Mr Bean, his films etc, all written by others. I don;t know whether he contributed material to Not the Nine O'Clock News or his early stand up stuff, but they were a long time ago.

Zoltri
01-07-2005, 08:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
10)Howie Mandel

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Bill Hicks definitely belongs there above Howie. Don't get me wrong, I loved Howie in Gremlins.

But I doubt he's anywhere near the top ten.

[/ QUOTE ]
I saw Howie years ago in a small club in Toronto before he made it big so im a little biased.
Tough to squeeze 10 guys in. I excluded Bob Hope and Woody Allen...both Hall of Famers.

daveymck
01-07-2005, 08:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Peter who?
Here is my list.

1) John Belushi
2) Jim Carey
3) Richard Pryor
4) Eddie Murphy
5) Rodney Dangerfield
6) Chris Farley
7) Billy Crystal
8) Steve Martin
9) Jerry Seinfeld
10)Howie Mandel

[/ QUOTE ]

This list highlights the difference between US and UK comedy, out of the list I would say Richard Pryor maybe for his stand up, Jum Carey is not comic geneius but he is zany the rest I would say are completly not funny and would put everyone in the UK list above everyone in the US list.

How the liokes of Steve Martin and Billy Crystal have made a living in movies to be honest is beyond me.

Zoltri
01-07-2005, 08:55 AM
No sense debating who is better.
Entertainment is a personal preference.

private joker
01-07-2005, 09:07 AM
It is so, so, so, so sad that nowhere in this thread has anyone mentioned the greatest comedian of all time:

http://www.diamondimages.com/rocknroll/images/george%20carlin.jpg

George Carlin.

Is is almost equally sad that no one has mentioned Lenny Bruce, who is probably the most *influential* comedian ever, and probably in the top 3 of all time along with Pryor and of course Carlin.

AngryCola
01-07-2005, 09:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

George Carlin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Carlin is a classic. I didn't mention anyone in particular (except Hicks), because I kind of dislike top ten lists. It's often diffcult to rate something as "better" as opposed to just "different."

Zoltri
01-07-2005, 09:14 AM
Agree with George Carlin.
And who can forget Gene Wilder.
The scene with him and the sheep in "Everything you wanted to know about Sex" was classic. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hack
01-07-2005, 02:01 PM
I just saw Carlin last month. He did a show downtown. It was definitely worth 34 dollars.

SomethingClever
01-07-2005, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
*thread hijack*

[/ QUOTE ]

Who died, now?

ThaSaltCracka
01-07-2005, 02:05 PM
Comedy Centrals list of 100 greatest stand ups was perfect. Stand ups are the only true comedians IMO.

jakethebake
01-07-2005, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And who can forget Gene Wilder.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd like to. He was just a squirrel. Not funny. Ever.

jakethebake
01-07-2005, 02:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
He's f'ing hilarious regardless.

AngryCola
01-07-2005, 02:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to. He was just a squirrel. Not funny. Ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand the squirrel bit, but Gene Wilder is aslo classic. Very good humor,IMNSHO.

SomethingClever
01-07-2005, 02:12 PM
My favorites:

1) Eddie Murphy
2) Dennis Leary
3) Joe Rogan (no fooling, he is unbelievable live)
4) Dave Chapelle
5) Chris Rock
6) Dane Cook
7) Seinfeld
8) Dana Carvey
9) Adam Sandler
10) David Allen Grier

AngryCola
01-07-2005, 02:13 PM
You list upsets me.

Especially Dennis Leary. He basically stole his act from Bill Hicks, IMNSHO.

David Allen Grier... Joe Rogan? Come on!

ThaSaltCracka
01-07-2005, 02:16 PM
No Pryor, wtf?????

AngryCola
01-07-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No Pryor, wtf?????

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course not, it would have taken up Dana Carvey's spot. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

wayabvpar
01-07-2005, 03:15 PM
I can't believe Sam Kinison hasn't been mentioned, you Philistines.

My list for standup comedians(in no particular order)
1) Sam Kinison
2) Denis Leary
3) Robert Schimmel
4) Eddie Murphy
5) Richard Pryor

People who should die in a car fire before ever setting foot on stage again-
1) Carrot Top
2) Howie Mandel
3) Gallagher
4) Bob Saget
5) Dat Nguyen

Edited to add- I have heard great things about Bill Hicks, but have somehow never seen his stuff (other than very short clips). I get the feeling he might make my first top 5 if I heard enough of him, though.

jar
01-07-2005, 03:17 PM
Favorites in no particular order:
Bill Hicks
George Carlin
Jerry Seinfeld
John Cleese

Chris Rock
Lewis Black
Sacha Baron Cohen
Stephen Lynch

OK, I lied about the no particular order thing. The first group are all time classics, and the 2nd group is current favorites.

Thythe
01-07-2005, 03:20 PM
Mitch Hedberg, and it isn't even close.

jakethebake
01-07-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Favorites in no particular order:
Bill Hicks
George Carlin
Jerry Seinfeld
John Cleese

Chris Rock
Lewis Black
Sacha Baron Cohen
Stephen Lynch

OK, I lied about the no particular order thing. The first group are all time classics, and the 2nd group is current favorites.

[/ QUOTE ]

Has anyone seen Seinfeld's last couple of shows? They're nothing but old stuff recycled from either the show, or pre-show days. With like maybe one or two new bits thrown in.

Chris Rock just annoys the hell out of me. I'm not sure why. Something about his voice. With that said, what he says is funny as [censored]. And whenever I read it or hear someone else say it, it slays me.

ThaSaltCracka
01-07-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Chris Rock just annoys the hell out of me

[/ QUOTE ]
"ODB couldn't possibly of commited all those crimes, Coolio did some of them too....Cornbread....ain't nothing wrong wit dat!".

jakethebake
01-07-2005, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Chris Rock just annoys the hell out of me

[/ QUOTE ]
"ODB couldn't possibly of commited all those crimes, Coolio did some of them too....Cornbread....ain't nothing wrong wit dat!".

[/ QUOTE ]

See! That's what I mean! It's funny when YOU say it!

ThaSaltCracka
01-07-2005, 03:35 PM
If a girl tells you she is 18 and she looks 18, she's 12. If a girl tells you she is 28 and she looks 28, she's damn near 40.

Toro
01-07-2005, 03:38 PM
This guy probably isn't on anyone else's list but I just find him really really funny.

Sinbad

JeffO
01-07-2005, 03:42 PM
I cast my vote for Chris Rock. His movies suck but his stand up is hilarious.

WEASEL45
01-07-2005, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mitch Hedberg

[/ QUOTE ]
Not funny at all. Worse than carrot top

AngryCola
01-07-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If a girl tells you she is 18 and she looks 18, she's 12. If a girl tells you she is 28 and she looks 28, she's damn near 40.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love this quote. Chris Rock always made me laugh with that joke.

Benholio
01-07-2005, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mitch Hedberg, and it isn't even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tythe wins. This ^^^ is correct.

Among other currently working comedians, Jim Gaffigan and Dane Cook deserve a mention.

Carlin wins the lifetime acheivement award.

Nagoo81
01-07-2005, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
People who should die in a car fire before ever setting foot on stage again-
1) Carrot Top
2) Howie Mandel
3) Gallagher
4) Bob Saget
5) Dat Nguyen

[/ QUOTE ]

That's Dat Phan, btw. Dat Nguyen is the Middle Linebacker for the Dallas Cowgirls. But yes, he is not funny in the least. I wish the comedians of Asian decent would not center their acts around BEING Asian all the time. How many "Flied Lice" jokes can we possibly hear?
"Omg check this out; I'm good at math, and I can't drive! lolol!" Plz.

Anyways, Dane Cook is one of my favorites currently, as well as Mitch Hedberg.

Oh, and debating who is better than others and then getting heated about it is very very stupid. Do you see why? I'll let others elaborate.

wayabvpar
01-07-2005, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

That's Dat Phan, btw. Dat Nguyen is the Middle Linebacker for the Dallas Cowgirls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh- busted. I KNEW that didn't sound right. I bet that Dat Nguyen is funnier than Dat Phan though.

CORed
01-07-2005, 04:29 PM
I like John Cleese, but was no better than #2 in Monty Python.
He was damn good in Faulty Towers, though.

TimTimSalabim
01-07-2005, 04:29 PM
I had a roommate back in college who was British and he brought with him some Peter Cook and Dudley Moore LPs and they were very, very funny. The two of them would carry on these wacked-out conversations, sort of like Abbott and Costello, but funnier. Funniest ever? Hard to say.

AngryCola
01-07-2005, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like John Cleese, but was no better than #2 in Monty Python.
He was damn good in Faulty Towers, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a big Monty Python fan. Who do you put as number one?

Graham Chapman?

OrangeHeat
01-07-2005, 04:38 PM
No Cosby?? WTF.

Carlin, Dangerfield, Belushi, Kinneson (sp?) need to be there too.

Orange

Bulldog
01-07-2005, 05:10 PM
I just watched seasons one & two of BBC's The Office and I'm ready to put Ricky Gervais on my list (but Eddie Murphy has to be number one!)

Also, does anybody remember a guy who used to do a routine that mimicked Bob Hope introducing the college football all-stars on a Christmas special ("Hi, I'm Todd Kozyosky, San Francisco University, tight end. Next year I hope to be a wide receiver!") and the thing with the juggling of the mamushka scarves? He was hilarious when I saw him about 15 years ago but now I can't even remember his name!

andyfox
01-07-2005, 05:13 PM
Woody Allen's stand-up act, before he started making movies, was very funny. I'm talking forty years ago.

andyfox
01-07-2005, 05:21 PM
For me, if you're talking stand-up, the funniest were:
1) Robin Williams
2) George Carlin
3) Woody Allen
4) Robert Klein
5) Mike Nichols and Elaine May
6) Rodney Dangerfield

If we're talking funny people, my favorites, in their prime, were:
1) Zero Mostel
2) Robin Williams
3) Mel Brooks
4) Charlie Chaplin
5) Walter Mathau
6) George Carlin
7) Woody Allen
8) Jerry Lewis
9) Danny Kaye
10)Billy Crystal

Groucho was something special too. I once saw him in a restaurant and when the waitress asked him "Do you want a fork?" he replied, "Your place or mine?"

ClassicBob
01-07-2005, 05:27 PM
The only comedy show I've ever been to featured Mitch Hedburg, with Zach Galifinakis (wow, i bet i butchered that spelling.)

I'm a huge Hedburg fan, but Zach G. blew him out of the water.

Sponger15SB
01-07-2005, 05:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Mitch Hedberg

[/ QUOTE ]
Not funny at all. Worse than carrot top

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

I can't STAND this guy.

Maybe if I was high all the time, maybe.

I would also like to say that my 3 favorite comedians are

1) Steve Martin
2) Seinfeld
3) Dana Carvey

SomethingClever
01-07-2005, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No Pryor, wtf?????

[/ QUOTE ]

Pryor was before my time and I haven't seen much of his material. So I can't just give him a freebie and put him on my "favorite" comedian list.

Benholio
01-07-2005, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The only comedy show I've ever been to featured Mitch Hedburg, with Zach Galifinakis (wow, i bet i butchered that spelling.)

I'm a huge Hedburg fan, but Zach G. blew him out of the water.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool, I will try to find some material for this guy. Google tells me its "galifianakis" btw.

deacsoft
01-07-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It is so, so, so, so sad that nowhere in this thread has anyone mentioned the greatest comedian of all time:

http://www.diamondimages.com/rocknroll/images/george%20carlin.jpg

George Carlin.

Is is almost equally sad that no one has mentioned Lenny Bruce, who is probably the most *influential* comedian ever, and probably in the top 3 of all time along with Pryor and of course Carlin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Carlin, I believe, may be the most intelligent comedian ever. Maybe we should ask Mr. Sklansky to do a top en list of the smartest comedians. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

swede123
01-07-2005, 07:42 PM
You have to distinguish between the comedy all-stars and personal favorites. I agree with many people's lists of the all-star types, people like Carlin, Pryor, Cosby definitely belong up there.

When it comes to personal favorites it gets a bit more gray. I find Mitch Hedberg funny as hell, but obviously several posters here hate him.

Another couple of personal favorites that haven't been mentioned yet:

Eddie Izzard - "Cake or Death???"

and Ron White "I didn't know how many of them it would take to kick my ass, but I knew how many they were gonna use!"

Great stuff!

Cheers,

Swede