PDA

View Full Version : Couple of JJ hands

lowroller
01-07-2005, 02:20 AM
This table had been playing fairly tight with LP/CO/button raises stealing the blinds. Along comes JJ OTB. Wanting to get some action, I decide to just call, rather than raise the blinds out. Firstly, is this acceptable for a situation like this, or is it always best to just raise and take the blinds? After the flop, at what point do you begin to slow down or keep pushing?

No reads on these specific players. Just that the table wa splaying tight.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, Hero calls, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.50 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB

Much looser table this time. Villian just sat down, so once again, no read. My main concern here is like above: when to slow down or keep pushing? I have been seeing the limp-reraise (as he did) alot more recently. Any feedback/input on what to put a player on, or a set strategy they use, when they come across this?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif. MP1 posts a blind of $2.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 (poster) checks, MP2 folds, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (17 SB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, BB folds.

Turn: (10 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls, SB folds.

River: (12 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14 BB

lowroller
01-07-2005, 02:25 AM

Gatts
01-07-2005, 02:25 AM
ohhh man. I'd be really tempted to pop the river in hand one.

lowroller
01-07-2005, 10:41 AM
bump

colgin
01-07-2005, 10:55 AM
Hand 1

Just go ahead raise from the Button with JJ. Don't let the SB and BB see the flop for cheap. JJ is not a hand I am looking to limp-reraise so unless you have a real speicifc read on BB I am just calling his raise here. The rest of the hand looks fine.

Hand 2.

What range of hands do you think UTG+1 is limp-reraising with here? I generally don't cap with JJ but here I think it's crazy to do so. You will very often be up against AA or KK here. When the King falls on the flop it is hard to think of many hands you beat unless UTG+1 is a real LAG. Plus there are other in the hand who may outdraw you and you have little room to improve. I guess you can argue that you are getting implied odds to peel one off on the flop to try to spike a Jack. To keep calling down you must think you have a reasonable chance of having the best hand here. Without a read on UTG+1 that is tough. I am curious what others would do here.

lowroller
01-07-2005, 11:08 AM
I have to admit, I didn't like it very much after the flop with the K hitting, and I took a very long time to decide whether to fold or keep going. The thing that got me was the limp-reraise. My line of thinking is if he had a real hand worth reraising, why didn't we see a raise out of him the first time around?

Granted, he could have Kx and still be ahead of me. But I think I mostly called down to get the results and learn from the hand.

Number4
01-07-2005, 11:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My line of thinking is if he had a real hand worth reraising, why didn't we see a raise out of him the first time around?

[/ QUOTE ]

So he could limp-reraise the table, possibly.
There was a discussion of what a limp re-raise meant in another post recently. It does not always mean AK, AA or KK, but it often does, especially with how the action went on this hand. I would be willing to give up on jj at some point in this hand.

As for Hand 1, go ahead and raise. Also, I would be really tempted to raise the river too, but it's close.

colgin
01-07-2005, 12:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There was a discussion of what a limp re-raise meant in another post recently. It does not always mean AK, AA or KK, but it often does, especially with how the action went on this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

In this hand, with someone limp-reraising from EP I would assume AA/KK. I am not sure if this was the post you are referring to but StellarWind had some excellent (as always) thoughts on limp-reraisers, but this applies specifically to a limp-reraise from CO or Button:

http://tinyurl.com/4g6pu