PDA

View Full Version : QTo flops top pair against maniac

nolanfan34
01-07-2005, 12:59 AM
Ugh. Villian in this hand had been playing hard and fast in the two orbits I'd been there so far. He'd pick strange hands to go nuts with PF, some dubious, but he'd play monsters the same way.

So, when it got heads up, I couldn't decide whether to push, or call down. Kind of went with something in between.
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (4 SB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, CO folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8 BB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10 BB

BottlesOf
01-07-2005, 01:02 AM
3-bet the flop. But you know that.

nolanfan34
01-07-2005, 01:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lead the turn again or just call down if he caps the flop? I couldn't completely discount him actually hitting a set.

nolanfan34
01-07-2005, 12:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

One pity bump. Is this the only way people would approach this hand differently? 3-bet and just call down if it's capped?

SamIAm
01-07-2005, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I couldn't completely discount him actually hitting a set.

[/ QUOTE ]Or he could just have 2 pair. I still think the 3-bet is right. If he had you outkicked or overpaired, you'd probably have heard from him preflop. That means he ONLY has sets or 2-pair going for him. If he has any maniac tendencies, I say you go for the 3-bet.

I don't think you played this badly. There are good reasons to just call down. If you call the flop, I definitely agree with leading the turn and calling his raise.
-Sam

nolanfan34
01-07-2005, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you played this badly. There are good reasons to just call down. If you call the flop, I definitely agree with leading the turn and calling his raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I thought leading the turn was the right play, given the relative blank on the turn. The check/call on the river felt really weak.

Anyway, he had 54o, and MHIG.

PokeHer
01-07-2005, 02:52 PM
Anyone else confused by the title of this posting???

nolanfan34
01-07-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone else confused by the title of this posting???

[/ QUOTE ]

?? Confused how? Please elaborate. If I didn't make it succinct or clear, I apologize. I'm not as creative as some are.

Danenania
01-07-2005, 03:01 PM
If he plays crap and monsters the same way, always assume he has crap at least until the turn and you will do fine.

This hand I like 3-betting the flop, calling a cap, and MAYBE raising the turn depending on the brand of maniac you have, then slowing after that. On a rainbow flop like this he is most likely going nuts with either a crappy pair or a gutshot or something. Make him pay.

Since you didn't 3-bet the flop you could have also c/r the turn. You don't have to worry about this one taking a freebie.

nolanfan34
01-07-2005, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This hand I like 3-betting the flop, calling a cap, and MAYBE raising the turn depending on the brand of maniac you have, then slowing after that.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I had been there one more orbit, I probably would have seen enough to take this line. I like the C/R idea on the turn too, because C/R'ing is fun.