PDA

View Full Version : Another question about ITM percentage

barrem23
01-07-2005, 12:01 AM
I happen to play a lot of 5 person tournaments and the payout is still the top 3. So the top 60% get paid unlike the top 30% in a 10 person tournament.

After doing my ITM I came to 56%. To get a more accurate one should I consider only 1st, or 1st and second, in the 5 person tournaments as being in the money to get a more accurate number?

rjb03
01-07-2005, 12:05 AM
ITM really isn't important. I assume you're confusing ITM and ROI. ROI = return on investment. ROI = net profit/(buy-in+fee)

Big Limpin'
01-07-2005, 04:40 PM
Stop concerning yourself with %ITM. IMO, the most overratted stat we have going to track play.
Worry about %ROI.

The Yugoslavian
01-07-2005, 05:45 PM
Irie has a few posts concerning ITM that explain why is is *definitely* an important metric. A short term ITM statistic will be much more indicitive of what it will be in teh long run than your ROI statistic. It can be very helpful to look at this in conjunction with the ROI metric to determine if a bad run is something to worry or whether or not you've gone on tilt.

ROI is only an important b/c it represents profit (the ultimate goal), but the metric doesn't seem to be a whole lot of help until after many, many, many SNGs.

Better than both of these metrics is simply constant self-analysis of your play and tactical/strategic improvement.

Yugoslav

SuitedSixes
01-07-2005, 07:08 PM
If I understand the 5-max tables correctly, if you finish 3rd you still lose $1, right? If that is the case, then I would only consider 1st and 2nd. And DO pay attention to ROI, it is a better indicator of your long-term success than ROI. Search for Irieguy's post on the matter.

lorinda
01-08-2005, 03:06 AM
After doing my ITM I came to 56%. To get a more accurate one should I consider only 1st, or 1st and second, in the 5 person tournaments as being in the money to get a more accurate number?

Why not track all three seperately

Have an ITM%, a top 2% and a win%.

If the -$1 thing is correct, it may be of use to track 1+2s vs 4+5s as a ratio and leave third out as a 'not played' (Of course you must still book the loss somewhere)

Lori

Big Limpin'
01-08-2005, 09:35 PM
I really dont understand what you wrote.
[ QUOTE ]

A short term ITM statistic will be much more indicitive of what it will be in teh long run than your ROI statistic.

[/ QUOTE ]
Because we all have %ITM somewhere between 30-50%, and seeing as 30% is bad and 50% is stellar, and because getting ITM is binary, then sure, your short-run ITM will probably closer to your true ITM, but not for any statistical reason. Its only that way because the input varibales have smaller ranges than for ROI. Do you base your confidence in stats on whether the current value is close to what you expect?
[ QUOTE ]

ROI is only an important b/c it represents profit (the ultimate goal), but the metric doesn't seem to be a whole lot of help until after many, many, many SNGs.

[/ QUOTE ]
So, i should concern myself with ITM stats, because they will be numerically closer to true values, in the short term?