PDA

View Full Version : AA played weakly, how should I have played it?

KHALI
01-06-2005, 11:23 PM
I am posting this as I am a self-confessed weak tight passive player who is trying to evolve.
Paradise 2/4
Villian is a bit loose with card selection, passive after flop in most cases.

Hero: Dealt A/images/graemlins/spade.gifA/images/graemlins/heart.gif in big blind

2 folds, UTG+3 calls,fold,Villian calls,fold, SB calls, Hero raises, three calls

*** FLOP *** : [ J/images/graemlins/club.gif 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ]
SB check, Hero bet,UTG+3call, Villian raise

The rest of the hand is irrelevant to my question. Is this a standard three bet and then lead out on turn? What if mid caps the bet? Do you still lead out and fold to a raise?
To be honest I put villian on two face cards and my gut told me this guy wouldn't raise unless he was sure he had best hand but still.

Turn (K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif)

Lead out and fold to a raise?

I think I know how I should proceed but need confirmation as to how weak I played it. As soon as I called and check/folded I said to myself "damn you are worthless and weak". Please flame away, it is the only way I'm going to learn.

Nick C
01-07-2005, 02:15 AM
The flop is one that will likely get you action but is also very dangerous for your hand. When MP1 (who is usually passive) raises, I'd be thinking he probably at least had top pair with something like KQ or QT. Something like A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif or K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif is also possible though. And you could easily be behind QJ.

I think I'd 3-bet, but calling with the intention of leading a turn blank is something else I'd consider.

The K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif certainly isn't a blank. I might check-call. The reason I wouldn't want to follow a bet-fold line so much is that Villain might raise with two pair (KQ, say), which I'd want to continue against with my draws to a gutshot, trips, and a better two pair. On the other hand, he might call or check behind (in fear of diamonds and/or the king) with a worse hand.

Ugh. I don't know. (A lot of difficult hands are getting posted tonight.) I don't think I'd check-fold, though -- especially if I'd just called the flop raise.

rmarotti
01-07-2005, 02:21 AM
A Flop 3-bet makes the rest of the hand go way easier, imho.