PDA

View Full Version : AQ hits low straight.... comments on play?

bigredlemon
01-06-2005, 10:19 PM
PP 10+1, 10 players, Blinds 10/15

Seat 10: UTG+2 ( $1350 )
Seat 1: HERO ( $770 )
Seat 8: UTG ( $800 )
Seat 7: BB ( $800 )
Seat 9: UTG+1 ( $755 )

Dealt to HERO [ Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif A /images/graemlins/heart.gif ]

UTG calls [15].
UTG+1 calls [15].
UTG+2 calls [15].
HERO raises [70].
folds.
folds.
folds.
folds.
folds.
BB calls [55].
UTG calls [55].
UTG+1 calls [55].
UTG+2 folds.

** Dealing Flop ** [ 3d, 5c, 2h ]

BB checks.
UTG checks.
UTG+1 checks.
HERO checks.

** Dealing Turn ** [ 4s ]

BB bets [100].
UTG calls [100].
UTG+1 calls [100].
HERO calls [100].

** Dealing River ** [ Qh ]

BB bets [150].
UTG calls [150].
UTG+1 raises [300].
HERO calls [300].[u/]
BB calls [150].
UTG calls [150]

No reads since it's fairly early.

adanthar
01-06-2005, 10:25 PM
This is gonna be very controversial, but I would say to fold the river.

rjb03
01-06-2005, 10:26 PM
I fold the turn. Too many callers there. I figure best case scenario I'm splitting the pot with at least one person.

adanthar
01-06-2005, 10:30 PM
Folding the turn closing the action and getting 6.5:1 (effectively 3.25:1 that no one has a 6) is clearly wrong, IMO.

rjb03
01-06-2005, 10:42 PM
I can't see myself as playing to win this hand though. Anybody with a 6 will likely call the turn here letting any ace think his straight is good and lead out again assuming he is not too smart. Because I figure I'm splitting the pot at best, I'd say the odds are worse than that. I also do not look forward to calling a river bet, which will probably not give you the same odds you quoted on the turn.

curtains
01-06-2005, 11:06 PM
I wouldn't make it 70 preflop, I would usually just call.

I would fold on the turn, and I don't think it's clearly wrong. You may be getting 6.5-1 but bad cards can come, and quite good chances you will be facing a bet on the river as well. Also you might just split the pot.

On the river I think it's an automatic fold. Facing a bet and a raise there you are basically just calling for a small chance to split the pot.

curtains
01-06-2005, 11:08 PM
"This is gonna be very controversial, but I would say to fold the river."

I don't see how its at all controversial. You are facing a bet and a raise with the idiot end of a one card straight. Unless your opponents are brainless monkeys, you have to fold.

adanthar
01-07-2005, 12:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't see myself as playing to win this hand though. Anybody with a 6 will likely call the turn here letting any ace think his straight is good and lead out again assuming he is not too smart. Because I figure I'm splitting the pot at best, I'd say the odds are worse than that. I also do not look forward to calling a river bet, which will probably not give you the same odds you quoted on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm...I thought about this hand some more and I know what the problem is: I was thinking about this hand if I played it in the 50's and assumed the raise would have a good chance of clearing out an unpaired 6.

This is why the limit is important, folks. Yeah, the turn is a lot closer now and the river's an autofold.

bigredlemon
01-07-2005, 02:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't make it 70 preflop, I would usually just call.

[/ QUOTE ]If I had limped in with AQ, i'm sure half the people here would have said this probably wouldn't have happened if I'd raised PF. Any particular reasoning on limping with AQ?

I'm also thinking, should I have tried to take the pot down on the flop, given that I was in late position? I'm sure the result would have been the same, but I'm thinking it'll be more +EV in the long run.

As for the river call: not my best play given how much that extra 300 hurt me. My call was based upon the fact that the typical 10+1 could re-raise the river with a Q or A. Given the raise PF, they'll think they're bottom straight is still good. Perhaps I was overly optimistic.