PDA

View Full Version : Changing graphic cards

TheTimeIsUp
01-06-2005, 08:49 PM
Well, I just got World of Warcraft, and my computer can barely run in without messing up the colors. I am pretty sure its the graphic card, correct? And, how do I change it? Also looking for recommendations on a new one, thanks. Anything else besides that too?

Leo99
01-06-2005, 10:16 PM
Probably is the graphics card. To change it is both simple and complicated. If all goes well, it is simple and if not... As always, it's an Nvidia vs ATI arguement. That, and how much do you want to spend. If you're buying the graphics card for that specific game, you'll want to lurk around some forums for that game. Check out Tomshardwareguide for benchmarks for various cards so you can get the most bang for your buck. Myself, I'm leaning towards getting an ATI 9800 Pro.

Putting in a new card is opening up your PC, taking out the old card, PCI or AGP. Probably AGP. And installing the new one. BUT, the drivers can be pain the arse. I can walk you through that or you can get a nice tutorial online.

What card do you have now? For example, if you have an older ATI, you should be able to pop in a newer ATI and fire it up with the same drivers.