PDA

View Full Version : I need a plan on this 5/10 hand

jon_1van
01-06-2005, 07:34 PM
Party 5/10 5 handed

seat 1 : XXX XX K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif____FOLD
seat 2 : XXX XX 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif______CALL____CALL
seat 3 : J/images/graemlins/heart.gif J/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/heart.gif________CALL____CALL
seat 4 : XXX XX Q/images/graemlins/club.gif__________COMP
seat 5 : XXX XX 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif__BRIN______FOLD

maybe I should have completed?? not sure

4th ($19.50)

seat 2 : XXX XX 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif____FOLD
seat 3 : J/images/graemlins/heart.gif J/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/heart.gif 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif______CALL
seat 4 : XXX XX Q/images/graemlins/club.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif__BET

What I'm thinking when I call this bet I'm not sure. Do I think he has a pair of Queens? Aces? Flush draw...he was the only /images/graemlins/club.gif out

Anyway...I think he might have a high flush draw...or xQQA...I picked conservative and call. After running some options in twodimes I decided this was a mistake. I decided this should have been a raise because I'm only in bad shape against a 2 pair.

5th ($29.50)

seat 3 : J/images/graemlins/heart.gif J/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/heart.gif 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif____CALL
seat 4 : XXX XX Q/images/graemlins/club.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif 6/images/graemlins/club.gif__BET

6th ($49.50)

seat 3 : J/images/graemlins/heart.gif J/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/heart.gif 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3/images/graemlins/club.gif____FOLD
seat 4 : XXX XX Q/images/graemlins/club.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif 6/images/graemlins/club.gif 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif__BET

I just was very unsure at almost ever street
3rd :call/raise
4th :fold(probably not)/call/raise
5th :fold/call
6th :fold/call

Is this a boarder line hand or am I missing something

nate1729
01-06-2005, 07:57 PM
I'd complete (most of the time) on third. On fourth, I call about half the time and raise about half the time. (This also depends on the opponent, of course.) On fifth, I might fold if my opponent were straightforward enough, but I often call and occasionally raise. But once I've called fifth, unless my read somehow changes and I put him more confidently on two pair, I gotta call sixth when he bricks.

A read on your opponent would really help here. I'm also interested to see what others say; I don't have my copy of 7CSFAP handy, and this is a very canonical situation.

--Nate

Andy B
01-07-2005, 12:37 AM
I complete on third street just about every time. You probably have the best hand, and even if the other guy has Queens, you're not in that bad of shape with your straight-flush kicker. If he raises behind you, you can be fairly sure you're up against Queens, and you can proceed accordingly.

The <font color="red">7</font>/images/graemlins/heart.gif was a pretty good card for you, so I think a call is in order on fourth street. I guess raising is an option if you think you can get a free card on fifth, but if your opponent is the three-betting type, you should probably just call.

Calling on fifth street is OK, but if you're going to fold on sixth when he catches no apparent help, then you should have folded on fifth. You're getting almost 5:1, and for all you know you have the best hand.

7stud
01-08-2005, 03:45 PM
You started with a big pair and a quality kicker, i.e. your ten of hearts, which is a straight flush kicker. With that starting hand, you can raise into three unduplicated overcards behind you, AND call a reraise. That means it is a great starting hand. Contrast that to a hand consisting of a pair of Jacks with an offsuit 4 kicker, which should frequently be folded when there are two or more unduplicated upcards behind you.

You should have considered raising on 3rd street even if you were fairly certain the Queen had a pair of Queens. Your hope would be that the Queen would reraise you, and the 8 would fold to the double bet, which would allow you to play against the Queen heads up. If the 8 didn't fold, your hand would still play well multi way because of the two straight and two flush.

The Queen raised in last position, and a raise is usually an attempt to keep players from entering the pot, but there weren't any players behind the Queen. If the limpers in your game routinely called raises, then presumably the Queen had a hand that would also play well multiway. That means the Queen may have had a pair of queens with a straight flush kicker.

Anyway...I think he might have a high flush draw...or xQQA...I picked conservative and call. After running some options in twodimes I decided this was a mistake. I decided this should have been a raise because I'm only in bad shape against a 2 pair.

There are some other potential holdings that you should examine:

1) Jc Qh Qc As
2) Ts Qs Qc As
3) Qc Qs Qc As

Because the 8 folded ahead of you, I think calling might have been the correct play depending on your opponent. In addition, calling doesn't give your opponent much information about your hand: it looks like you limped in with a flush draw, and you are continuing with your draw. If you think your opponent would have fallen for it, raising in an attempt to buy a free card on 5th street would have been a nice play. In some situations, your opponent will fold to your raise, but since the queen raised on 3rd street in last position, that indicated a strong hand, so I doubt there was much chance of him folding. I also think raising in attempt to buy a free card on 5th street would have been pretty transparent in this case, so if you were against a good player, he wouldn’t have fallen for it, and he would have reraised you on 4th, or he would have called, and bet into you on 5th if you didn’t catch a heart.

I don't think folding was the correct play on 6th street. Your flush draw went away, but it’s not readily apparent that your opponent already had two pair, so I think the pot was large enough where you could have taken a shot at making two pair to win.