PDA

View Full Version : Chasing with small pair - Big pot

MicroBob
01-06-2005, 06:25 PM
party 15/30 - handful of goofballs -
the CO had been playing decently and I think had something like V-15, R-11 after a minimum of hands.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Microbob is UTG+1 with 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. CO posts a blind of $15.
UTG calls, Microbob calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO (poster) 3-bets</font>, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, Microbob calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, CO calls, Button calls, UTG calls, Microbob calls, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (25.66 SB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
UTG checks, Microbob checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $11 (All-In)</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button calls, UTG folds, Microbob calls, UTG+2 folds.

Turn: (15.80 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players, 1 all-in)</font>
Microbob checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Button calls, Microbob calls.

River: (18.80 BB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players, 1 all-in)</font>
Microbob checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Button folds, Microbob calls.

Final Pot: 20.80 BB
<font color="#009B00">Main Pot: 14.30 BB, between Microbob, MP1 and CO.</font>
<font color="#009B00">Pot 2: 6.50 BB, between Microbob and CO.</font>

Alexthegreat
01-06-2005, 07:05 PM
Yikes....

CO had been playing decently?? And you still called him down?? I'm not sure when you would give one of them credit for having a big overpair, but if you call the flop, you need to lead the turn....If the CO raises, then you can safely fold...

I dunno, I don't really like the look of this....seems like you really were reaching here

uvickid
01-06-2005, 07:51 PM
Yikes is right...to be honest calling three bets preflop with a little pair means you should get ready to muck if you don't improve on the flop, especially if you said CO is a solid player...

MicroBob
01-07-2005, 06:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
to be honest calling three bets preflop with a little pair means you should get ready to muck if you don't improve on the flop,

[/ QUOTE ]

If there are over 20 bets in the pot I can obviously call 1 bet here to try to hit my set.

The short-stack who went all-in on the flop was virtually meaningless imo since he was a goofball who was determined to give-away his money anyway.

When it's raised by the CO I thought about mucking but I considered the slim possibility that he was just trying to clear the field some while holding only overcards combined with my chances of hitting my 2-outer.

It's almost 30 bets in the pot and a little less than 2 to call on the flop.
15:1 isn't quite ideal here but I think it's close on this flop that is likely to have completely missed everyone.

The key for me here is that a lot of the other players involved were semi-super-donkeys. So I'm only worried about the CO here.

MicroBob
01-08-2005, 05:04 PM
I guess my LAG play didn't generate as many comments as I was hoping.

I was thinking about the flop the other day while I was driving.
Hitting my set is a little over 4%.
The chances that my 66 is currently best is maybe in the 3% range.
By that logic (if my estimate is accurate) I still think the flop call is acceptable because this pot is so huge.

Anyway,
I had 66, the CO had AK and the all-in guy had A3s so my 66 somehow actually held up.

I know this doesn't necessarily mean that the play was correct and that I got VERY lucky (obviously).

Ulysses
01-08-2005, 06:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
15:1 isn't quite ideal here but I think it's close on this flop that is likely to have completely missed everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not 15:1 if you're going to call 2 more BB on turn and river blanks. If the statement you made above is correct, then your play is horrible. If you had said "15:1 is a great price in this situation against these guys given the chances of my hand being good or hitting my two-outer" your play could be fine. But given what you said, it sucks.