PDA

View Full Version : Fish loosens up the table, I play 77.

DavidC
01-06-2005, 03:01 PM
Table was a bunch of TA-N/TA-P/TP-P/TA-A/sLA-P guys, mostly TA-P.

However, one guy wandered onto the table, and he was playing, after about 10 hands, 5-6 of them for a single bet pf. Sure, it's a small sample size, but at this table, it was a ray of hope.

UTG+1 is the fishy.

My flop bet was designed to drive out the tight guys on my left, to protect my miniscule hand. This was bolstered by the fact that I had 77, two cards instrumental to the straight.

Since the action through the hand doesn't indicate a full, I think my river play is pretty solid: given that I had the 7's, I figured to catch a bluff here with my straight, and get UTG to call me with JT or T2 or something like that.

Would a call of his river raise have been better? I'm pretty comfortable with my raise, but I'd like to hear from you guys.

Also, what do you think of the limp with 77 based on this table texture?

Any comments?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

River: (5.25 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.25 BB

Haupt_234
01-06-2005, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Table was a bunch of TA-N/TA-P/TP-P/TA-A/sLA-P guys, mostly TA-P.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ohhhhh, that kind of table...

I think your preflop call is fine here. Especially after one limper, known as a fishy.

Your turn bet being called by the fish shows that he is either very passive with a ten, a true fish with a 6, or on some sort of draw.

When you bet the river and he checkraises, a hand like QJ is very possible. But so is slowplaying his trip 8s or hitting his "two pair" with T9. This is why i'de cap the river too.

Haupt_234

DavidC
01-06-2005, 03:17 PM
A little more analysis.

Given the river, what hands would cap?
88, tt, 66, 99, t8, 98, 86, 87, 57, j7, qj

What hands would have been likely to bet the flop?
88-, tt-, 66-, t8-, 86-

I put a minus next to these hands because it would have been a scary bet, because someone could have had the straight: I would bet them, but that doesn't mean that this guy would.

What hands would have been likely to bet the turn?
88-, tt-, 66, t8, 98, 86, 87

With 88, I say let them fill their straight, or hit their full! That being said, this guy may have bet it. Also, depending on if people will give you action, you could make much more from betting it outright (I'm not sure whether this would be true here or not).

Likewise TT could be slowplaying top full house, and ignoring the possibility of quads.

What does this leave him to have on the river?
88, TT, 99, 57, j7, qj

I guess the question could have been more simply asked, "Who's waiting for the 9, or waiting for action with a real powerhouse?"

Anyone disagree with my hand reading?

Edit: ...to include QJ... thanks to Haupt_234!

DavidC
01-06-2005, 03:21 PM
Holy crap, I missed QJ! Ouch. That would be a natural hand...

Thanks for pointing that out.

I'd also not considered that he checkraised rather than just bet it out.

Cool. Thanks for your help.