PDA

View Full Version : AJs (Just checking)

cockandbull
01-06-2005, 03:01 PM
Just checking this is standard. Pretty boring hand really.

BB is sla, from 64 hands villians running at 23.5/9.4/1.6 w@SD 67.

UTG+1 has only just joined the table and is in his first orbit. hes play half his hands raising just one preflop.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (7.25 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

River: (10.25 BB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 10.25 BB

Haupt_234
01-06-2005, 03:03 PM
Looks good to me. Pretty standard.

Haupt_234

bisonbison
01-06-2005, 03:12 PM
nice hand.

imported_Jim C
01-07-2005, 04:12 AM
Hi everyone, I'm brand new to the forum and only about 3 months into playing seriously. I hope this isn't a stupid question, I'm pretty intimidated by this group. Here goes:

Why not bet on the river? Hero has raised pre-flop and on the flop, the rest of the field puts him on big cards and if he bets out on the river they are likely to put him on at least TPTK. He's getting over 10:1 to bluff on the end. Even if BB made a pair of Q's on the turn, is he really likely to try for a check-raise on the river against a preflop raiser with a K on the board? It seems to me that both of them are likely to have busted draws and that hero's position, combined with the early aggression, could pick up the pot at least more often than 10%. Is the thought that A high is good?

Please help me understand. I would have bet this on the river thinking I had a much better chance of winning and that 10:1 was good enough for a bluff, even into two players.

Thanks,

Jim

SamIAm
01-07-2005, 04:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty intimidated by this group.

[/ QUOTE ]Don't be. The very best way to improve your game is to post as often as possible and then get shot down. That's always been my goal. /images/graemlins/smile.gif You definitely can't be intimidated by the forum.

That being said, your idea is AWFUL! Just kidding. /images/graemlins/smile.gif The fact you're missing is that if you're winning the hand already, betting and getting them to fold doesn't accomplish anything. You would have won anyway. If you bet and then lose, you lost more money. You really think these guys both have J-high? (I guess they could have a worse ace. That would even be a worse hand that might call you.)

The river bet just isn't worth it. I agree with all streets.
-Sam

SamIAm
01-07-2005, 04:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the rest of the field puts him on big cards and if he bets out on the river they are likely to put him on at least TPTK.

[/ QUOTE ]I forgot to mention that you give the 2/4 players WAY too much credit. I don't think they're likely to replay all your actions in their head and decide what cards you might hold. They're gonna look at the 4 in their hand and then call you.
-Sam

imported_Jim C
01-07-2005, 05:03 AM
Thanks for the great response. I think I make this error quite often (giving the other players too much credit). I am in the middle of trying to be somewhat less aggressive with marginal hands post-flop.

Jim