PDA

View Full Version : Driving in snow

ThaSaltCracka
01-06-2005, 01:28 PM
Okay so here in the Puget Sound region, we have a chance for some snow around here this week. Seattle becomes a mess when it snows, because it rarely happens so people freak out. Also, an absurd amount of people drive SUV's around here, half of which end up in ditches when it snows. Anyways, this broad who sits next to me says "I hate driving in the snow around here because no one around here knows how to drive in the snow. I know how because I went to school in Pullman.(middle of nowhere)"

I can't stand it when people say this [censored]. People in the midwest and elsewhere say there use to driving in snow, but you know what, where you "learned" how to drive in snow is a pretty flat area. The Puget Sound area is the opposite of flat. I have to drive down three hills just to get to work(5 minute drive). I say [censored] this, I never drive in the snow because I like my car, and all these idiots who think they know how to drive in the show around here can go on ahead and try driving down snow covered hills, show us "ignant folks" how its done.

AngryCola
01-06-2005, 01:30 PM
Nasty ice storm here. Knocked out power in half the city. It's much harder to drive on than snow. Snow is actually pretty easy to drive on once you get the hang of it, but this ice stuff is near impossible to gain traction on.

J.R.
01-06-2005, 01:31 PM
Its all about patience, caution, and most importantly, and awareness of others. That's not what most people are referring to when they say they no how to drive in snow.

ThaSaltCracka
01-06-2005, 01:31 PM
yeah we get more ice than anything here. It gets quite cold in the winter here when it isn't cloudy.

jakethebake
01-06-2005, 01:32 PM
They say they know how to drive in it, but they don't really. In St. Louis they're all over the place. Complete morons.

ThaSaltCracka
01-06-2005, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Its all about patience, caution, and most importantly, and awareness of others. That's not what most people are referring to when they say they no how to drive in snow.

[/ QUOTE ]yeah I know, and people here assume that if you have been around lots of snow and even driven in it before, they are somehow superior at doing it. Very annoying over here. Usually when it snows, the news stations send out their "news" choppers and film all the rich people crashing their SUV's in Bellevue.

Michael Davis
01-06-2005, 01:34 PM
I actually don't think people in the Midwest drive much better in the snow than people elsewhere. They still end up in ditches and stuff. The difference is small. Snow adds a level of unpredictability that can eff you know matter how well you drive.

Now, snowstorms are more treacherous in some places than in others. In some locales, more of the automobiles are fit for inclement weather. And there are more plows, more knowledge, etc. People in the midwest make fun of SoCal for bitching about the rain, but it really is a whole lot worse when it rains here as the infrastructure isn't there.

-Michael

AngryCola
01-06-2005, 01:36 PM
Not to go on and on about it, but try 10 degrees with a 20 mph north wind. Now add that onto having no power for the night or possibly a few days.

Half a day was enough for me to freeze my ass off.
The power company says 56,000 homes lost their power and it may take up to a week to restore everything. The ice was very thick. Actually, it was a downpour of rain that turned into ice. I've been telling everyone, it's the craziest ice storm I've ever seen.

Almost all the trees are split down the middle from the weight of the ice. Nasty.

Anyway, to the original point, I won't drive on it unless I have to. I think the reason you hear so much of that talk from people in the midwest is because most people *have* to drive. It isn't like it lasts a day. Often times the streets are iced over for at least a week.

AngryCola
01-06-2005, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I actually don't think people in the Midwest drive much better in the snow than people elsewhere. They still end up in ditches and stuff. The difference is small. Snow adds a level of unpredictability that can eff you know matter how well you drive.

Now, snowstorms are more treacherous in some places than in others. In some locales, more of the automobiles are fit for inclement weather. And there are more plows, more knowledge, etc. People in the midwest make fun of SoCal for bitching about the rain, but it really is a whole lot worse when it rains here as the infrastructure isn't there.

[/ QUOTE ]

We might drive on it marginally better. Mostly because of more experience. But people here still get freaked and, for the most part, can't deal with it very well.

Places like Michigan deal with snow and ice far better than my state. They have to. Here, it happens just enough to make it a common occurance, yet not enough to warrant the budget for an adequete infrastructure.

nolanfan34
01-06-2005, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
went to school in Pullman.(middle of nowhere)"

[/ QUOTE ]

You just had to throw that last comment in, didn't you? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I agree FWIW. I'm not worried about myself driving, but I'm sure as heck worried about driving with the other idiots out there.

AngryCola
01-06-2005, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They say they know how to drive in it, but they don't really

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people can't drive. Period. As I said, I'm sure as a whole people from the midwest are marginally better at driving in these conditions. But most people still can't deal with it.

*Sexist comment ahead*
It's not easy, especially for people who aren't used to driving without a cell up their ass while doing their makeup.

ThaSaltCracka
yeah, I went to school in Montana for a year. It literally snowed everyday for three weeks, cold as fuc[/b]k too. But even there almost anywhere you went was pretty flat. People would be surprised, if you come out here, especially in Western Washington, its really quite hilly over here.

fnord_too
I have had to drive in snow in the mountains plenty in my lifetime. I would take that over driving in the snow somewhere flat where the people have no clue any day. (You get the worst of both worlds, you lucky dog.)

If you can, just stay in.

Lazymeatball
01-06-2005, 01:42 PM
I got to drive home in snow this morning. New Englanders are usually pretty decent at driving in snow, except for the first snow of the season when everyone drives like a pussy.

AngryCola
01-06-2005, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
People would be surprised, if you come out here, especially in Western Washington, its really quite hilly over here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe it, and it must make it more difficult. But being from the flattest state in the union, I can confidently say the flatness doesn't make it much easier. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ThaSaltCracka
01-06-2005, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

If you can, just stay in.

[/ QUOTE ] My rule of thumb. If there is snow on the road, this cracka don't roam.

ThaSaltCracka
01-06-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
People would be surprised, if you come out here, especially in Western Washington, its really quite hilly over here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe it, and it must make it more difficult. But being from the flattest state in the union, I can confidently say the flatness doesn't make it much easier. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll take your word for it.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-06-2005, 01:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't stand it when people say this [censored]. People in the midwest and elsewhere say there use to driving in snow, but you know what, where you "learned" how to drive in snow is a pretty flat area.

[/ QUOTE ]
Duluth, MN is built on a hill, as is Houghton, MI, where I went to college. Go ahead and pick up a POS 1984 F150 and try it out there like I did when I was 16 and then you can tell me about my education on how to drive in bad conditions. I hope you like shovelling, because you can expect 6-8" on most nights and you generally can't see over the snowbanks by mid-winter.

One of the funniest things I ever saw there was this rich jackass from Detroit showing off his rear-wheel-drive BMW. He stopped at the stopsign, turned left up the hill, and gave it the gas. His wheels started spinning so he hit the gas harder. He then proceded to slide backwards down the hill at WOT. It was great.

Zoltri
01-06-2005, 01:47 PM
Snow I can handle.
Ice is the worst. Once you lose control there is nothing that can bring you back.

AngryCola
01-06-2005, 01:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Snow I can handle.
Ice is the worst. Once you lose control there is nothing that can bring you back.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was 16, I spun my VW Bus a complete 360 degrees on the ice. Luckily, no other cars were close at that exact moment. I ended up parked off the side of the road facing the correct direction. It all happened so fast, I never had the chance to get scared. At the time, all I could think was, "Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee!"

People drove by me very slowly and pointed. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jakethebake
01-06-2005, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Snow I can handle.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yea. I hit some black ice on the freeway in St. Louis doing about 50 during rush hour. Spun 360 degrees three times across four lanes of busy traffic. No one hit me until the very end. Just as I was coming to a stop I barely tap this guys bumper with no damage. A f'ing miracle I tell you. I was saying thanks all the rest of the way to work that morning. As scared as I've been in my life.

Shajen
01-06-2005, 02:08 PM
One sentence for you:

Atlanta drivers in an ice storm.

OH. MY. GOD.

Horrible, just horrible. The reason imo snow storms are so bad down here and in places like Seattle is because it's a relatively rare occurance and the Dept of Transportation in each area isn't equipped for it. If you are used to getting several inches of snow a year, salt trucks and plows are a part of your budget. If you aren't, drivers are screwed.

ThaSaltCracka
01-06-2005, 02:11 PM
yeah thats true. About 5-6 years ago there was a huge snowstorm here, and I mean like a foot in a few hours. There were so few trucks in the area that a lot of roads weren't plowed. Then it started to rain, a lot, and we had urban flooding, roofs caving in, accidents everywhere. People totally freak out about the snow here.

Hack
01-06-2005, 02:34 PM
I know how to drive in snow because I live in Syracuse, one of the snowiest cities in America, if not the snowiest. We had 10 inches this morning.

Hack
01-06-2005, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah thats true. About 5-6 years ago there was a huge snowstorm here, and I mean like a foot in a few hours. There were so few trucks in the area that a lot of roads weren't plowed. Then it started to rain, a lot, and we had urban flooding, roofs caving in, accidents everywhere. People totally freak out about the snow here.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's nothing. We had 4 feet in about 1 day in the snowstorm in 1993. Man up.

Shajen
01-06-2005, 02:42 PM
...and we were glad we got it!

Sorry Hack, you just came across as a grandpa right then.

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ulysses
01-06-2005, 02:42 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/sleepboxer/9529.jpg

That's what happens when guys like this follow too close:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/sleepboxer/4046.jpg

ThaSaltCracka
01-06-2005, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's nothing. We had 4 feet in about 1 day in the snowstorm in 1993. Man up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks bud, it never snows here. I doubt Syracuse is as hilly as the Seattle area. Plus we actually have traffic and people here.

sfer
01-06-2005, 02:48 PM
In California people don't know how to drive in rain. In New York City, people don't know how to drive in lanes.

Six_of_One
01-06-2005, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In California people don't know how to drive in rain.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear people say this all the time. I'm not disputing, but I'm curious -- how are you supposed to drive in rain? Nobody ever mentions that part.

ThaSaltCracka
01-06-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In California people don't know how to drive in rain.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear people say this all the time. I'm not disputing, but I'm curious -- how are you supposed to drive in rain?

[/ QUOTE ] slower.

B Dids
01-06-2005, 03:35 PM
Whoa- TSC, you're a Wazzu guy? I didn't realize that. I grew up in Pullman...

ThaSaltCracka
01-06-2005, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Whoa- TSC, you're a Wazzu guy? I didn't realize that. I grew up in Pullman...

[/ QUOTE ]hell no, I ain't no coug. I am a BCC pilot. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif I went to school in Helena, MT for a year, which is worse than Pullman, a lot worse.

B Dids
01-06-2005, 03:40 PM
Oh- I can't read. The broad who sits next to you is right. People in this city are retards. I'm at work, but I assume that Jim Forman is reporting now about WINTER STORM 2005!!!

stabn
01-06-2005, 03:41 PM
There was ice at the richards/connector intersection this morning. I slid halfway through the intersection this morning while facing a red light. I caught traction just in time to avoid hitting the light pole in the median (next to the left turn lane from the connector > richards). Fun times.

ThaSaltCracka
01-06-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh- I can't read. The broad who sits next to you is right. People in this city are retards. I'm at work, but I assume that Jim Forman is reporting now about WINTER STORM 2005!!!

[/ QUOTE ]everyone in this town is a retard when it comes to snow. I only like snow to get out of work.

Phat Mack
01-06-2005, 04:05 PM
Some general observations:

Snow's not that bad, it's ice that's the bitch.

Knowing how to drive in slick conditions is fine, but it's the other drivers, not the ice, that present the most danger.

People who've had some experience driving in icy conditions might be less likely to kill you.

4WD ownership has convinced a large number of people that they can drive in the snow competently. They are wrong.

OrangeHeat
01-06-2005, 04:17 PM
I learned to drive in the snow on hills in the heart of the adirondack mountains where there are zero flat spots. It can be done without 4 wheel drive, snow tires, all that other crap.

Two things:

1. Slow the heck down. Your driving on snow. 4 wheel drive does not make your tires stick to snow any better than 2 wheel drive. Once your skidding you can have 30 wheel drive and your screwed still. The slower you go the lest inertia you have and the easier it is to control.

2. LET OFF THE BRAKES!! Every time I see CNN showing cars with their brakes locked up slowly sliding off the road, into people, into other cars.... I want to scream. Let off the brakes and use the big round steering wheel! Locking your brakes up on ice doesn't do crap other than give you zero control of your car.

Orange

wayabvpar
01-06-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There was ice at the richards/connector intersection this morning. I slid halfway through the intersection this morning while facing a red light. I caught traction just in time to avoid hitting the light pole in the median (next to the left turn lane from the connector > richards). Fun times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try going up the hill to the east on the connector- the whole inside lane is cordoned off since it is literally a sheet of ice. That part of the road never gets sunshine, and the hill leaks water across the road all day long.

stabn
01-06-2005, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Try going up the hill to the east on the connector- the whole inside lane is cordoned off since it is literally a sheet of ice. That part of the road never gets sunshine, and the hill leaks water across the road all day long.

[/ QUOTE ]
I drive up that every day. Earlier this week my rear tires swerved a little bit going over that (before they blocked it off). This morning the right lane was totally dry with the inside (left) lane blocked off. The patch in the left lane looked pretty nasty though, i'm glad they blocked it off.

B Dids
01-06-2005, 04:25 PM
Tip For Driving in Snow:

STOP BEING A LITTLE BITCH.

(btw- this isn't directed at anybody specific, just the general population).

stabn
01-06-2005, 04:27 PM
What i like the most about snow here is that when it's burned off the road and just on the sides, everyone drives 3 miles an hour. When the roads are icy everyone drives too fast and crashes into eachother. We're so [censored] smart around here.

Victor
01-06-2005, 04:51 PM
These things should be taught in physics.

B Dids
01-06-2005, 05:11 PM
My favorite thing about the snow from back when I lived in Pullman.

Pullman is basically 4 big hills, so driving in the snow there is tricky. Once it snows they throw down a TON of gravel. So after the snow has melted all the gravel collects at the bottom of the hills. The end result being that even without the snow, it's equally, if not more, diffult to stop 'cause this normal paved road turns into a gravel road in the last 5 feet.

Joe Tall
01-06-2005, 05:17 PM
an absurd amount of people drive SUV's around here, half of which end up in ditches when it snows.

That's because people w/SUVs are morons that think 4WD is the end-all-be-all of driving in snow. Well, SUV-drivers...

4WD makes you GO BETTER. Not STOP any better.

Lesson over,
Joe Tall

B Dids
01-06-2005, 05:19 PM
The best, bar-none, car in the snow is a Subaru. The # of them you see in Alaska is staggering.

ThaSaltCracka
01-06-2005, 05:20 PM
well most of the people around here own 30k plus SUVs and their all a bunch of yuppies. I happen to have an SUV that cost me 8K it has 4WD, I like it, and don't plan on messing it up. Too many steep hills near me.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-06-2005, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The best, bar-none, car in the snow is a Subaru. The # of them you see in Alaska is staggering.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. There is none better. I/we have one WRX now and plan to trade my other car in for another one as soon as it makes sense to do so.

banditbdl
01-06-2005, 05:23 PM
Best car I ever had for driving in the snow and ice was my Geo Prizm from high school. Front wheel drive obviously, but the thing is a little tin can giving it too great properties for snow driving.

1) You gotta take it easy cuz if you run into anything with that thing you're toast.

2) It was so light that it couldn't really get a whole lot of a inertia going so it was really easy to control when the need arised.

ftball0000
01-06-2005, 06:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know how to drive in snow because I live in Syracuse, one of the snowiest cities in America, if not the snowiest. We had 10 inches this morning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Upstate NY baby!!! gotta love the snow here.... if anyone here has driven in Oswego, NY (Located right on Lake Ontario) then you know all about snow.

-Ftball

I guess its time to root for the 'Cuse B-Ball

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
01-06-2005, 06:12 PM
....IS SO FUN!!

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-06-2005, 06:14 PM
Okay for real now... driving in snow is all about proper use of the e-brake. For those not well-educated on the proper use of the e-brake, I suggest watching a few WRC races on Speed Channel.

Hack
01-07-2005, 05:44 AM
That's a stupid comment.

150,000 people live in the city of Syracuse, and 400,000 people live in the suburbs and surrounding areas. We have traffic and people here. It's the 5th largest city in NY behind NYC, Buffalo, Rochester, and Yonkers.

You look foolish now.

plaster8
01-07-2005, 06:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So after the snow has melted all the gravel collects at the bottom of the hills. The end result being that even without the snow, it's equally, if not more, diffult to stop 'cause this normal paved road turns into a gravel road in the last 5 feet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I forgot about this in the years since I graduated, but you're absolutely right. I can remember skidding around more than once on all that gravel.

(By the way, KING-5 is calling this the "ARCTIC BLAST" complete with little snowflakes floating around the logo.)

eric5148
01-07-2005, 06:44 AM
Eric's guide to driving in snow:

Step 1: Quit your job and become a professional internet poker player.

Step 2: Get a menu from your local Chinese restaurant (make sure they deliver).

Step 3: Stay inside until golf season.

Enjoy!

bernie
01-07-2005, 07:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have to drive down three hills just to get to work(5 minute drive).

[/ QUOTE ]

Walk. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

That's what I do. Whether it's to mucks (less than a mile) or to my computer (much less than a mile).

Besides, the exercise and cool air are good for ya!

b

btw...When I was a courier, I didn't drive in the snow. Nor when I was laying rug. Not worth it.

Lawrence Ng
01-07-2005, 10:33 AM
Frickin' pick ups are hilarious when they are driving up the hills in the snow. They are so screwed without 4 wheel drive...lol

Lawrence

ThaSaltCracka
01-07-2005, 12:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's a stupid comment.

150,000 people live in the city of Syracuse, and 400,000 people live in the suburbs and surrounding areas. We have traffic and people here. It's the 5th largest city in NY behind NYC, Buffalo, Rochester, and Yonkers.

You look foolish now.

[/ QUOTE ] Times your total by 4 and thats the Seattle area.

Hack
01-07-2005, 12:04 PM
So what? What a dumb response. I never stated that Syracuse was bigger than Seattle. But to say that there is no traffic here is ridiculous.

ThaSaltCracka
01-07-2005, 12:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So what? What a dumb response. I never stated that Syracuse was bigger than Seattle. But to say that there is no traffic here is ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]my friend, you don't know traffic.

Hack
01-07-2005, 12:14 PM
Being from the Long Island/NYC area, I would say that I know a lot more about it than you do. Seattle is the boonies in comparison.

ThaSaltCracka
01-07-2005, 12:18 PM
good, so you do know traffic, so how could you possibly say there is traffic in Syracuse?

BTW, Seattle is always in the Top5 for worst traffic in America, probably because our mass transit system sucks.

Hack
01-07-2005, 12:21 PM
I'm saying there is traffic in Syracuse because there is traffic in Syracuse. Downtown can get busy at rush hour and with the snow and with the conglomeration of highways in Syracuse traffic can get real nasty real fast.

Of course Syracuse is no Seattle and no NYC, but we also get a lot more snow than either of those places, due to our position relative to the area's lakes. Lake effect snow is where most of it comes from.

So unlike you guys who have to deal with it maybe twice a winter, we have to deal with it almost every day in January and February.

During the summer Syracuse traffic is great. The highways are empty. But when you have people doing 20 mph(and they should, because the roads can be dangerous), you have traffic issues.

ThaSaltCracka
01-07-2005, 12:25 PM
yeah yeah yeah, you have to be the most argumentative person since me.

Anyways, I really can't even describe how absurd it gets here when it snows.

Hack
01-07-2005, 12:26 PM
I don't dispute that. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-07-2005, 12:27 PM
Why don't you guys take this somewhere else and just let us know later who pissed the farthest?

ThaSaltCracka
01-07-2005, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why don't you guys take this somewhere else and just let us know later who pissed the farthest?

[/ QUOTE ]I know I can pee farther than you!

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-07-2005, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I know I can pee farther than you!

[/ QUOTE ]
I've got stamina, though - I can write my whole (very long) name in the snow. And I know snow. I can drive better in it than you can too.

Dr. Strangelove
01-10-2005, 04:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
went to school in Pullman.(middle of nowhere)"

[/ QUOTE ]

You just had to throw that last comment in, didn't you? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I agree FWIW. I'm not worried about myself driving, but I'm sure as heck worried about driving with the other idiots out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I went to WSU for a year and a half. Middle of [censored] nowhere.