PDA

View Full Version : Help with hand and these situations

Tdiggity
01-06-2005, 01:11 PM
Sorry dont have exact details but close and I have run into this situation before. What is the correct move???

Played in Poker Stars 20+2 MTT last night. 540+ entrants.

about 80 left. Bubble is 54 but 37-54 pay similar with little profit.

I have about 7700 chips and I am SB.

Blinds are 400-800 with 50 ante. (pretty sure here)

Avg chip size is about 10-11K.

Everyone folds to middle player who pushes all in with about 4900 chips.

Folded to me. I wake up with Jacks.

A) What is the best play here? I am frequently in this situation. The player was not particularly tight and I really felt this was a steal. I knew I probably had the best hand and a win would take me to about 13K in chips in better position to play once we were past the 54th player mark.

Results were the player flipped over kQ os and caught a K on the river.

I really felt I had played well up to that point. But now down to 2K+ in chips I went meekly into the night finishing in like 77th.

I have heard the discussions on folding a hand like that late in a tourney but I get the impression this is closer to the bubble or at a final table.

Any thoughts or help greatly appreciated once again on this scenario in general.

zaxx19
01-06-2005, 01:14 PM
The player was not particularly tight and I really felt this was a steal.
+ You have the 4th or 5th best hand possible in the game....

Is this a serious question...I mean it sucks he had 2 overs but you have to put your money in here every time...probably even if he was playing considerably tighter.

Tdiggity
01-06-2005, 01:23 PM
Sorry zaxx. Learning so yes it is serious. I always thought it was the best play but like I said I thought I had read discussion on closer to the bubble or final table your actions might be different. Not so much this hand but these cases in general wanted to stay on right path. Didnt mean to come off goofy.

zaxx19
01-06-2005, 01:39 PM
Dont worry im a jackass and always post in an insulting tone.. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

A situation where laying the JJ might be profitable is when there is little incentive in a tourney passed just cashing, say satellites where a fixed number of places are awarded identically with no sliding scale.

(eg you are in 9th in a MTT and 12 spots are awarded identical entries or prizes - 15 people left and someone just below you moves in with enough to cripple you...laying jacks can be correct there I mean logically all you need is 3 people to bust out and you are a winner+ plus you arent low enough that you NEED to gamble yet)

Some might also argue if you are super low and cashing is statistically almost certain but moving significantly up in the prize pool is statistically gonna be very rare...then laying JJ might be correct also.

(eg you have 2500 250-500 blinds..you are in 22nd out of 27 and they are gonna pay 25 spots..lets assume 4 players are under 1K so you can probably check fold into the money. If the payouts are identical from 25-15...you might lay JJ here.)

Hope that clears up when it is/might be correct to lay JJ.
Remember most of the $$ is in the top 3 and you will have to gamble and get fairly lucky to get there.

tiger7210
01-06-2005, 02:51 PM
You have less than 10x BB against a short stack push. Insta- call everytime here with JJ's. The chances of him turning over AA-QQ's and having you buried is small. Even if you are against 2 overs you're still getting in ahead with a chance to get yourself in the game. Unfortunately you lost a race. Unless you're interested in folding your way into the money, which is a long ways to go still, you have to call here.

JohnG
01-06-2005, 08:06 PM
opponent could easily have lots of lower pairs here, so play it.

Al Mirpuri
01-07-2005, 06:37 AM
I think you played it just right.