PDA

View Full Version : Help me out a little (2005 NFL draft)

Shajen
01-06-2005, 12:31 PM
Searching on this board for dupes sucks. Either that or I do.

Anyway, the Bears have the number 4 pick in the draft and a huge bunch of holes needing to be filled, mainly on the O-line and they need a deep-threat receiver. I'm assuming what's his name from USC will be off the board.

Who would you pick for your team if you needed these positions filled?

And apologies if this was already done. I couldn't find it.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-06-2005, 12:43 PM
If you want a receiver, there's none better than Braylon Edwards. I'm not sure I'd take a receiver at #4 though.

jakethebake
01-06-2005, 12:56 PM
Yea. I'd trade down if I were them.

Shajen
01-06-2005, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yea. I'd trade down if I were them.

[/ QUOTE ]

For more picks or what? The best linemen seem to go really early in the first round. If they were only needing a receiver (yeah right) then I'd say they could trade down safely, but for some weird reason the o-line and d-line guys go early. Just curious.

Number4
01-06-2005, 01:22 PM
If you mean Mike Williams, who will be eligible for the draft this time, there is some talk of moving him to TE in the pros because of his lack of speed. If it is one of their current receivers, not sure.

Edwards is good, maybe even good enough to go at #4, but I think an O-Lineman to protect Rex and give Jones running room will be the way they probably go.

EDIT: I like the idea of trading down and getting some more picks.

jakethebake
01-06-2005, 01:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For more picks or what? The best linemen seem to go really early in the first round. If they were only needing a receiver (yeah right) then I'd say they could trade down safely, but for some weird reason the o-line and d-line guys go early. Just curious.

[/ QUOTE ]
Define early. I don't think they go 4th. Also, there's the question of how big the difference would between a offensive lineman they could get at 4 and one they could get at 12, especially when they have a lot of holes to fill.

Shajen
01-06-2005, 01:33 PM
Yeah, this was my thinking too.

I don't really follow too much college ball though, so I don't know who the stud linemen coming out this year are...or where they will go in the draft.

The perfect scenario would be trade down to around 12-15 and get an additional EARLY second round draft pick. That'd be key.

junkmail3
01-06-2005, 01:41 PM
The bears had some recievers step it up this year. So, I don't think that should be their number one concern. The bears have a lot of concerns. WR is okay right now, focus on the absolutely-awful-these-people-shouldn't-even-be-playing-football-right-now-positions. Like O-line.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-06-2005, 01:50 PM
HOW ABOUT A FREAKING QUARTERBACK AT #4?

jakethebake
01-06-2005, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Like who? Leinart will be gone. And I'm still not a believer anyway. I've heard the guy from Akron is supposed to be good. But do they want to start with a rookie QB or try to pick one up in FA?

Shajen
01-06-2005, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, I may get flamed to no end for this, but I gotta say, from watching him til he got hurt, Grossman has some serious potential. He's been really good, even with the miserable excuse for a line they have around him.

I'm telling you, he's good. QB isn't a position they need to fill, unless it's a backup for him.

PhatTBoll
01-06-2005, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Define early. I don't think they go 4th. Also, there's the question of how big the difference would between a offensive lineman they could get at 4 and one they could get at 12, especially when they have a lot of holes to fill.

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference is huge . Here is a list of the "sure things" at O-line in this year's draft:

1. D'Brickashaw Ferguson
2. Alex Barron

Both of these guys will be long gone by the 10th pick. Trading down always seems like a good idea, but you have to have a buyer. Sometimes getting your money's worth for a high draft pick is much easier said than done. Skill positions are pretty thin this year, so it's difficult to see which team is going to package a blockbuster deal to grab that 4th pick.

jakethebake
01-06-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The difference is huge . Here is a list of the "sure things" at O-line in this year's draft:
1. D'Brickashaw Ferguson
2. Alex Barron
Both of these guys will be long gone by the 10th pick. Trading down always seems like a good idea, but you have to have a buyer. Sometimes getting your money's worth for a high draft pick is much easier said than done. Skill positions are pretty thin this year, so it's difficult to see which team is going to package a blockbuster deal to grab that 4th pick.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think they'll probably both be gone by 10, but I don't think they should be. I think they're probably both overrated. Where I think you're wrong is calling them sure things. I don't think either is a sure thing. Don't both OU and Auburn have some decent linemen graduating this year? You should be able to get one of those with a mid teens or later pick.

PhatTBoll
01-06-2005, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Where I think you're wrong is calling them sure things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hence the quotation marks. As usual, there is a huge dropoff in potential between the top 2 prospects and the rest of the pack. There is no reason to think anybody else is going to be better than these 2 guys, and the Bears need talent desperately.

Left tackle is the most underrated position in football, because most QB's are right-handed, and can't see the rush coming from that side. Most QB fumbles come from blind-side rushes, so you need a solid anchor there. I think it would be a huge mistake for the Bears to miss out on a polished prospect like Ferguson or Barron.

Shajen
01-06-2005, 02:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Where I think you're wrong is calling them sure things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hence the quotation marks. As usual, there is a huge dropoff in potential between the top 2 prospects and the rest of the pack. There is no reason to think anybody else is going to be better than these 2 guys, and the Bears need talent desperately.

Left tackle is the most underrated position in football, because most QB's are right-handed, and can't see the rush coming from that side. Most QB fumbles come from blind-side rushes, so you need a solid anchor there. I think it would be a huge mistake for the Bears to miss out on a polished prospect like Ferguson or Barron.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good comments, however, Grossman is a lefty. Either way, the O line can only be described as offensive. They stink, with Kreutz being the only bright spot, and he's an undersized center who's aging pretty quickly.