PDA

View Full Version : losing net connection in the middle of tournament

revots33
01-06-2005, 12:16 PM
Last night I was in 1st place in a $10+1 SNG, with 5 players left, things are looking good, I've got a big chip lead... when my DSL crapped out on me. For about a half hour I desperately tried hooking and unhooking wires, turning power on and off, trying to get my connection back in time to get back in. Well, 2 hours later (after an hour on hold and a long talk with a clueless Verizon tech), I still had no internet. I was glad it was only a $10 tourney.

Anyways, it got me to wondering about the people who play $1000 SNG's online. Have any of you high rollers ever gotten booted in the middle of a tournament? I was pissed enough last night over the $45 I probably lost - if I had been in a $500 or $1000 SNG I probably would have thrown my PC through my front window.

I hear a lot about all the advantages online has over live play, but after this I'd be afraid to try a big-money tournament online. The only good news is that I got an email today telling me I finished 3rd in the tournament.

junkmail3
01-06-2005, 12:22 PM
Eh, I don't play that high or anything, but if you have enough of a chip lead, otherwise count it as another loss. If you're playing $220 or $1000, you have the bankroll to cover it. So it's no big deal. Just like when you lost 1/30th (more or less) of your roll on that one SnG. Too bad try again. I think that losing your internet for one SnG isn't bad. 4 or 8 tabling when this happens could get more serious. But I think I would run over to a friends house if that happened.

gusly
01-06-2005, 01:11 PM
I have a dialup backup for my Earthlink cable. If my cable ever goes out, I can switch over in a matter of seconds to my backup ISP.

I paid a one time $5 fee that provides up to 10 hours per month with no further charges, so it's the perfect backup. A small price to pay for peace of mind. Oh yeah, there's no special software, banner ads or any of that crap like netzero and juno.

If you're interested, just go to access-4-free (http://www.myfreei.com) for more details.

My entire system is also hooked up to a pretty robust UPS, so if my power goes out, I have 20 to 30 minutes of protection.

EDIT: fixed url

revots33
01-06-2005, 01:54 PM
Gusly,

Thanks for the info. That's a great idea, I'm gonna sign up. Wish I'd had some sort of dial-up backup last night! Thanks again for the tip.

gusly
01-06-2005, 03:44 PM
Glad I could help.

My Earthlink cable actually includes free dialup access, but I have this need for multiple redundancy born from my time with the IT department in college.

Did I mention that I have everything also loaded on a laptop so I can switch over to that if my computer should happen to die? Overkill at 10+1, perhaps, but I'm just obsessive that way.

/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

ZebraAss
01-06-2005, 08:53 PM
I have connection problems at home all the time which relaly sucks, AOL is gay. But at school a month ago I feel asleep during 4 200/15 tournaments...I didnt even know I entered them...thats how bad it was.