PDA

View Full Version : A basic question about playing the odds

Keet
01-06-2005, 11:40 AM
I think this is a basic question but I am not sure what the answer is. I would gladly appreciate any help.

In a situation where I have 8 outs after the flop I have about a 2 to 1 chance to catch an out by the river but I have about a 5 to 1 chance to catch an out on the turn. Based on my current understanding, I should only consider the outs for the next card since I do not know how the betting will go after the turn (Thus I should only stay in the hand if I am getting better than 5 to 1 before the turn). So here is my question. Is there ever a time when the odds with two cards to come should be used or do I only play the odds for the next card?

For example, if I have 8 outs after the flop do I only call with odds of 5 to 1 or are there times when I should call with 2 to 1? Based on my understanding, I should play only with odds of 5 to 1, but is there ever a time when I should play the 2 to 1?

I use this only as an example. My main question is the following:
Is there ever a time when the odds with two cards to come should be used or should I only consider the odds with one card to come? I am aware that pot equity, implied odds, and reverse implied odds can change the situation. I am only asking a straightforward question about playing the odds in a typical situation before the turn card. Thanks for any help.

bisonbison
01-06-2005, 11:46 AM
You'll get better responses in the Beginners or Poker Theory forums.

ghostface
01-06-2005, 11:52 AM
Lets say you have a nut flush draw on the flop. If you have two others in the hand with you you are making money on every bet that goes in so you want to raise and reraise while you have a pot equity edge. Now on the turn if you dont hit you flush the pot will usually be large enough to make calling necessary to see the river even if only on of your opponents saw the turn after your raise.

I think somewhere in SSH it says that you should rarely be folding your draws on the turn when it costs only one big bet to see the river.