PDA

View Full Version : pc ram question

turnipmonster
01-06-2005, 11:36 AM
I know next to nothing about computer hardware, but I have just gotten an old dell (dimension 4100) and want to buy some ram for it, preferably 2 512k sticks. I am looking on new egg (http://www.newegg.com/app/manufact.asp?catalog=147&DEPA=1), and there is a big difference in prices. I don't need super fancy ram, just using this machine to play online poker. so, what should I get?

--turnipmonster

kenberman
01-06-2005, 11:43 AM
I would call Dell, give them all your info, and find out what type of Ram is compatible with your pc/motherboard. You don't need to buy it from them, but I would find out what type of ram they want to sell you. You need to know compatible speed (266? 300?) and type (ddr ram? sd ram?). you will also need to know how many free/total ram slots your motherboard has.

after you get this info, you can go back to newegg and order what you need. or just order from dell...

more ram is always better, but there comes a point when it's overkill. putting 1 GB of RAM into an old computer may be a little much, and might not even be possible if it's real old.

Shajen
01-06-2005, 11:48 AM
I think dell's standard is DDR100.

You can give dell a call or hit their website to spec out what your 4100 has in it.

Once you do that, hit a place like crucial.com (512MB for $80) or memorywarehouse.com and get it from there.

Leo99
01-06-2005, 11:55 AM
I got this off 18004memory.com. I've used them in the past. It seems your PC is rather old and uses PC133 memory. You can use 2 x 256 maximum. Newegg memory (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=property&DEPA=1)

Upgrade Configuration for Dell
Model: Dimension 4100 1.0G

System Specs
Type of system: Desktops/Servers
Bus Architecture: PCI/AGP
Native OS: Windows ME
CPU Type: 1.0GHz Intel Pentium III

System Memory
Standard Memory: 128 MB (removable)
Maximum Memory: 512 MB
Maximum Expansion: 2 sockets

Description OEM Part No. 18004memory Part No. Price Web
Price Order
PC133 - 168-Pins
256MB Module 311-7005 DN1364U/256/K3V $76.90 $69.00 BUY
128MB Module 311-7001 DN1364U/128/H3V $32.90 $29.00 BUY
64MB Module n/a DN1364U/064/H3V $25.20 $22.00 BUY

Comments:
PC133 SDRAM DIMMs

turnipmonster
01-06-2005, 12:15 PM
as a side note, do you think this pc will be ok for playing online poker and using pokertracker?

kenberman
01-06-2005, 12:35 PM
I 4 table at Party w/ PT/GT+ w/ a 1.3ghz Celeron (slower than your chip) and 512 MB Ram. it's generally ok, although it does slow down as the session goes on.

AngryCola
01-06-2005, 12:43 PM
Go to www.crucial.com (http://www.crucial.com)

The site's automated process will tell you the exact RAM compatible with your computer.

Plus, if you decide to buy from them, you'll be right there.

Btw, I only use Crucial/Micron(same company) RAM. Quality stuff.

You want unbuffered, non-ECC, CL 2.5 RAM.

EDIT-
A good "Veteran" post indeed. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

wacki
01-06-2005, 01:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Go to www.crucial.com (http://www.crucial.com)

The site's automated process will tell you the exact RAM compatible with your computer.

Plus, if you decide to buy from them, you'll be right there.

Btw, I only use Crucial/Micron(same company) RAM. Quality stuff.

You want unbuffered, non-ECC, CL 2.5 RAM.

EDIT-
A good "Veteran" post indeed. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

Also, someone mentioned going to dell. Be carefull when shopping from them for ram, they can really bend you over with the prices on extras like this.

As far as the CL 2.5 it doesn't matter. If it works with your computer, it works. CL=2 and CL=3 are both fine for that computer. CL=2 is faster though, but on your computer it shouldn't matter.

Any ram that is PC133 and "non-ECC" or "non-parity" (same thing different words) will probably work in your computer. Your computer is a bit old so the most it can handle is 512MB. Your computer has 2 memory slots so 2 sticks of 256MB should work.

AngryCola
01-06-2005, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

As far as the CL 2.5 it doesn't matter. If it works with your computer, it works. CL=2 and CL=3 are both fine for that computer. CL=2 is faster though, but on your computer it shouldn't matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it barely matters, but I wanted him to be aware of which ratings he should be expecting. CL 2-3 is just fine. Most of the time, however, it is the standard 2.5

Shajen
01-06-2005, 02:09 PM
For the record, I mentioned going to dell to get the specs, then going to crucial or memory warehouse for the actual ram.

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

turnipmonster
01-06-2005, 02:26 PM
thanks for the help guys. I ended up getting RAM from crucial, because I found the exact kind I needed. also, the person that gave me this computer recommended running win2k instead of xp, as it would be faster. which should I run? thanks.

--turnipmonster

AngryCola
01-06-2005, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the person that gave me this computer recommended running win2k instead of xp, as it would be faster. which should I run? thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would definitely run XP. But I see no reason to buy the upgrade if you have no need for it. Stick with whatever is on the system.

Btw, good move going with Crucial. It's very high quality RAM, and should give you no troubles. Plus, Crucial has free shipping right now. Recently, I ordered from Cricual on a Tuesday afternoon and received the RAM Thursday morning. Nice and fast.

kenberman
01-06-2005, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the person that gave me this computer recommended running win2k instead of xp, as it would be faster. which should I run? thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would definitely run XP. But I see no reason to buy the upgrade if you have no need for it. Stick with whatever is on the system.

Btw, good move going with Crucial. It's very high quality RAM, and should give you no troubles. Plus, Crucial has free shipping right now. Recently, I ordered from Cricual on a Tuesday afternoon and received the RAM Thursday morning. Nice and fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

and I recommend running W2K! XP will crawl on this PC, and 2000 will run just fine. If you are annoyed by delays and slowness, then go 2000. if not, xp.

stabn
01-06-2005, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

and I recommend running W2K

[/ QUOTE ]

I also agree with W2K in this specific case.

turnipmonster
01-06-2005, 04:43 PM
win2k sounds great. the only thing I am going to be doing is playing poker on it, so the OS shouldn't matter much.