PDA

View Full Version : "Why aren't you married yet?"

hutz
01-06-2005, 09:49 AM
I hear this question a lot on dates and f-ing hate it because it seems like there's little upside, and a lot of potential downside, to answering it. Single guys, how do you answer this question when a girl asks it? How, if at all, does your answer vary depending on whether you just want to be her f*ck buddy as opposed to if she's someone you see more long-term possibilities with?

Skjonne
01-06-2005, 10:15 AM
I've gotten the "Why are you married" question a couple of times. I haven't got a clue

Shajen
01-06-2005, 10:24 AM
Answer honestly.

It's a simple question, with a simple /images/graemlins/wink.gif answer:

I haven't met the right woman yet. Then, you can move on to slipping that mickey into her drink when she's in the bathroom.

(I kid)

Bluffoon
01-06-2005, 10:36 AM
Any woman boneheaded enough to ask me this question gets her first demerit and is on dump alert.

It is too direct. Most people would feel uncomfortable with a question like this in this situation and she either doesnt realize this and is lacking empathy, or she does, doesn't care about making you uncomfortable as long as she gets the information she wants.

I prefer taking and receiving the more subtle approach. I mean, just spend some time with someone and a question like this answers itself if you are paying attention.

Can't be bothered taking the time to figure it out for yourself? Then neither can I.

Shajen
01-06-2005, 10:39 AM
Well, I assumed it wasn't on the first date he was hearing this.

Hell, I figured it was also coming from family...hence my response.

Yeah, if a woman is asking these kinds of questions on the first date, I'd be on guard.

Thankfully, I am married, so I don't have to deal with this [censored] anymore.

Now I get "So, when are you having kids?" all the [censored] time...like I *have* to or something.

I'm gonna start telling people I'm unable to have kids and thank them for bringing up deeply depressing memories. Totally untrue, but totally worth it.

elwoodblues
01-06-2005, 10:45 AM
What's the answer?

It's a fair question. A woman you are dating should know if you haven't found the right woman yet or if you don't ever want to get married.

TimM
01-06-2005, 11:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What's the answer?

It's a fair question. A woman you are dating should know if you haven't found the right woman yet or if you don't ever want to get married.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but asking straight out like that is right up there with her asking how much money you make.

elwoodblues
01-06-2005, 11:12 AM
Maybe, but I'd rather have someone ask a question directly than dance around the subject.

Shajen
01-06-2005, 11:19 AM
As I said, if this is on the first date, I would be concerned.

Get to know the person a little before you decide to judge on one item like this.

Anyway, that's just my opinion.

Kirg
01-06-2005, 11:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't met the right woman yet. Then, you can move on to slipping that mickey into her drink when she's in the bathroom.

(I kid)

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you slip the mickey into your cousins, aunts, whoevers' drinks a lot /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Shajen
01-06-2005, 11:42 AM
Only second cousins and further out. Immediately family is a little too strange even for me /images/graemlins/wink.gif

AncientPC
01-06-2005, 11:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, I assumed it wasn't on the first date he was hearing this.

Yeah, if a woman is asking these kinds of questions on the first date, I'd be on guard.

Thankfully, I am married, so I don't have to deal with this [censored] anymore.

Now I get "So, when are you having kids?" all the [censored] time...like I *have* to or something.

I'm gonna start telling people I'm unable to have kids and thank them for bringing up deeply depressing memories. Totally untrue, but totally worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could just tell them you're thinking about adopting (but never actually do anything).

lu_hawk
01-06-2005, 11:54 AM
How old are you? If you are 40 then it is a bad question to ask but reasonable for a girl to think about. If you are 25 then it's just stupid.

Shajen
01-06-2005, 12:00 PM
yeah, I've tried the "we may adopt" route, but it doesn't stop the questions. The majority of the stupid people in this world don't understand that my wife and I currently don't want to have kids. Hell, we are having too much fun. And I'm selfish...once you have kids, the focus of your life (imo) shouldn't be on yourself anymore. I'm not ready for that...yet.

MaxPower
01-06-2005, 12:12 PM
When a young woman asks me I like to say, "I guess I'm just lucky." But that could be part of the reason I am single.

If old person asks me I say, "Why aren't you dead yet?" Actually, I've never had to guts to say this, but I'd really like to.

Rick Diesel
01-06-2005, 12:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The majority of the stupid people in this world don't understand that my wife and I currently don't want to have kids. Hell, we are having too much fun. And I'm selfish...once you have kids, the focus of your life (imo) shouldn't be on yourself anymore. I'm not ready for that...yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

my thoughts exactly, word for word. Did you steal this post from my brain?

jakethebake
01-06-2005, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If old person asks me I say, "Why aren't you dead yet?" Actually, I've never had to guts to say this, but I'd really like to.

[/ QUOTE ]
Priceless!

Joe Tall
01-06-2005, 01:11 PM
Just give them the "haven't met the right one yet" line. It's give them the illusion that they might be or become the right one if they dig ya at all.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Rockatansky
01-06-2005, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hear this question a lot on dates and f-ing hate it because it seems like there's little upside, and a lot of potential downside, to answering it. Single guys, how do you answer this question when a girl asks it? How, if at all, does your answer vary depending on whether you just want to be her f*ck buddy as opposed to if she's someone you see more long-term possibilities with?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you really didn't care, you could say either: (1) "Why buy the cow when you're getting the milk for free?" or (2) "Every girl I've dated has asked me this exact question and it's a complete deal breaker for me."

If you're going to be serious, I think the line about about how you haven't met the right person yet is pretty good. If that answer isn't satisfactory to her, then it's probably not going to work out anyway.

Rob Blackburn
01-06-2005, 02:25 PM
I have used the brutal honesty route the last few years after going through about 4 years of back to back relationships.

I make it pretty clear that, business and material possesions are higher on my priority scale right now than relationships or marriage.

I gotta say it has drastically reduced the drama in my life, but the downside is obviously my female companionship has reduced drastically as well.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-06-2005, 02:29 PM
Don't worry - the questions don't stop once you get engaged/married - they just move to the next thing. For instance, when I called and told my mother that I was going to ask my then gf to marry me, her response was "That's great. You know I think I'm ready for grandkids." We're getting a dog.

jakethebake
01-06-2005, 02:41 PM
Just answer, "I dunno. Do you take it in the ass?"

Ulysses
01-06-2005, 02:52 PM
Tell them you're a hopeless romantic who is looking for true love and you haven't found that perfect match yet.

wacki
01-06-2005, 03:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this answer.

drewjustdrew
01-06-2005, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is 100% correct. Let us know what happens when you ask her.

AncientPC
01-06-2005, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't worry - the questions don't stop once you get engaged/married - they just move to the next thing. For instance, when I called and told my mother that I was going to ask my then gf to marry me, her response was "That's great. You know I think I'm ready for grandkids." We're getting a dog.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think my parents treat my gf's and my dog like a grandkid sometimes . . .

Toro
01-06-2005, 04:00 PM
When I was in my twenties and was asked this question I was always totally honest with my answer which was "because I love being single".

[censored]
01-06-2005, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just give them the "haven't met the right one yet" line. It's give them the illusion that they might be or become the right one if they dig ya at all.

Peace,
Joe Tall

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts.

Also I assume they aren't married yet as well so you could go with "oh, probably for many of the same reasons you are anyone else isn't..........you dumb bitch, you just bought your own dinner."

IsaacW
01-07-2005, 09:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why aren't you married yet?
I hear this question a lot on dates [...]

[/ QUOTE ]
Why the F*CK isn't SHE married yet?

Homer
01-07-2005, 09:26 PM
How about, "I am, is that going to be a problem?"

Mano
01-07-2005, 10:50 PM
If you're looking to score:

"I am looking for a woman who want's me for me, and not my millions of dollars."

jakethebake
01-07-2005, 10:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're looking to score:

"I am looking for a woman who want's me for me, and not my millions of dollars."

[/ QUOTE ]
Very nice.

ilya
01-07-2005, 11:00 PM
"The one woman I have ever loved has a restraining order out against me."

Duke
01-08-2005, 12:22 AM
Possible solutions:

My wife died 5 years ago, but thanks for bring up such a painful subject.

I just met you last week.

~D

on_thg
01-08-2005, 01:34 AM
I'm trying to put off my first divorce as long as possible.

hutz
01-10-2005, 10:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What's the answer?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but asking straight out like that is right up there with her asking how much money you make.

[/ QUOTE ]

My recent experience has shown this to be a very good indicator of a girl (1) having an overdeveloped bitch gene, (2) being emotionally unstable and/or needy, or (3) both of the above.

I'm adding the asking of the "why aren't you married yet?" question, if asked within the first two dates, to the list of things that make me very inclined to move a girl from the "long-term possibilites" list to the "short-term/f*ck buddy" list. What are some similar tried-and-true red flag items that make you view a girl's long-term prospects negatively?