PDA

View Full Version : Did I overplay this 99?

PokerBob
01-06-2005, 09:47 AM
Party 5/10 (9 handed)

I usually play 1/2, but I'm feeling fisky. My first orbit, so I have no reads.

Hero is in MP with 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif9 /images/graemlins/club.gif

UTG raises, 1 cold-call, Hero calls, BB and SB call.

Flop (10 SB) (5 players): 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif6 /images/graemlins/club.gif4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

UTG bets, call, HERO RAISES, muck, muck, UTG 3-bets, muck, HERO CAPS, UTG calls.

Turn (14 BB) (2 players): 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif UTG checks, hero bets, UTG calls.

River (16 BB): 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif UTG checks, Hero bets, UTG calls.

Could I give villain here credit for one of the 5 overpair hands that beats me, especially after he slows down after the flop? I felt I needed to keep betting, as giving AK a free card would be disasterous.

Please comment.

Thanks, PBob

captZEEbo1
01-06-2005, 10:29 AM
AK wouldn't make ANY sense if he 3bets the flop first to act and no flush draw...3 betting the flop would ONLY make sense if he had the flush draw AND two overs, but that's still not a great play. If he was LAST to act, 3betting the flop is a possibility, if he's planning on taking a free card on turn if he got c/r on flop, but still probably not likely without at least a flush draw to back it up...

when you capped flop, he probably got weary of a set.

I'd check the river unimproved, by the way...

My guess is that villain had TT.

PokerBob
01-06-2005, 10:29 AM
BUMPBUMPBUMP /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fat Nicky
01-06-2005, 11:02 AM
I myself tend to overplay these types of hands. After he 3-bets the flop, most players will have the overpair, especially since he raised UTG pre-flop. However, I like the flop cap and I like that you bet when he checked to you on the turn. However, he's giving you a free showdown, you need to take it.

btspider
01-06-2005, 11:19 AM
i tend to believe the flop 3-bet. the pot is about big enough to call the 3-bet and check-fold the turn. no good?

for those saying cap the flop, are you folding if he bets into you on the turn?

PokerBob
01-06-2005, 11:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
However, he's giving you a free showdown, you need to take it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have, but my set hit on the river. Are you saying check my set for fear of running hearts?

Fat Nicky
01-06-2005, 11:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
for those saying cap the flop, are you folding if he bets into you on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would probably call down because I have trouble folding an overpair, but folding would not be the wrong play.

Fat Nicky
01-06-2005, 11:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
However, he's giving you a free showdown, you need to take it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have, but my set hit on the river. Are you saying check my set for fear of running hearts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I didn't even look at the river card to realize you hit your set here. Of course you should bet. /images/graemlins/grin.gif If you didn't hit the set, which is what I was basing my comment on, then you check behind.

PokerBob
01-06-2005, 12:08 PM
UTG Shows JJ and MHIG. He then goes into a tirade and whines and gnashes teeth and tells me how lucky I am. I know how lucky I got. Could I really have confidently folded this hand at any point?

Redeye
01-06-2005, 12:18 PM
I don't think I'm a particularly big fan of cold calling an UTG raise with 99 with only one other player calling in between unless you have a pretty good read that your going more calls behind you. Plus in MP its never certain at more aggressive tables that there won't be another raise behind you which would really suck.

I thought your flop play was too aggressive, unfortunately after he checked on the turn I probably would've bet intending to take a free showdown as well.