PDA

View Full Version : When the Whole......

10-16-2001, 03:57 PM
....is greater than the sum of its parts. How else to explain this GREAT Yankee team that continues to win, refuses to lose, and is setting the standard by which other teams will be judged in the days of 2 rounds of playoffs.

Is there a better all-around clutch performer in these high-tension games than SS Derek Jeter, who seems to do something each game that just helps his team win. Refreshing also, is that in this age of 'ME', he continues to call the manager Mr Torre, out of respect. Which parent who frequents these boards, wouldn't be proud to have a son like him?

And didn't the A's just flat-out choke under the big spotlight. Shows you need more than stats to be a big-time winner.

You won't see Tino Martinez's play to time his crossing in front of Chavez as the ball arrives in any boxscore got his team a run; Knoblauch running to the left of 2nd base after he got picked off making Giambi's throwing angle a lot more difficult got his team a run.

On the other side of the coin, Tejada not going 1st to 3rd on Spencer's throw from rightfield cost his team a run. Further, you won't see Yankees chewing each other out on the field - although I don't blame Giambi, but champions don't do it - and maybe it was more the A's unraveling at the seams.

Yeah the Yankees are the old warhorses clearly approaching their sunset, but one thing's for damn sure: they sure know how to win. Hey! Yankee-haters, eat your heart out!!!!

Go Bombers go!!!

10-16-2001, 04:44 PM
"Is there a better all-around clutch performer in these high-tension games than SS Derek Jeter"

Mariano Rivera, Jeff Nelson, and Mike Stanton to name three. Compare their regular season numbers to their postseason numbers. Jeter is a very good player but they'd have won their championships with ARod, Nomar, or even Rich Aurilia. Mariano Rivera, on the other hand, is irreplaceable. He's arguably the greatest postseason performer in the history of the game.

10-16-2001, 08:54 PM
I counter though the A's gave it away as much as the Yankees took it. Most of the season experts were asking how the A's would do in the playoffs with their shoddy defense and you saw what happened last night. Further not taking 3rd was a huge mistake as well. The M's are not going to beat themselves, while the A's will do it quite a bit. The Yanks definitely rise to the occasion in the playoffs, but rising to the occasion may not be enough against a better team.

10-17-2001, 12:25 PM
...will be determined by who wins 4 of the next 7 games. Everything else is windown dressing and b.s.

Seattle has the pressure on them in this series, not the Yankees. Seattle has been at their best the few times this year they've been under the gun. The Yankees obviously thrive on pressure - you don't win this many series unless you do. Should be a hell of a series, but I'm not buying the "better team" is Seattle until they prove it here and now.

Let the games begin!!! Go bombers!

10-17-2001, 02:48 PM
After what those pinstriped bastards did to my A's, I have to agree that nobody plays better than the Yankees in the post-season. Those guys can bring it.

What an amazing team. I hate them.

natedogg